Author Topic: Carl Edward (Karl Eduard) Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Duke of Albany & family  (Read 97984 times)

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Unfortunately not much has been written about Amalie of Saxe-Coburg (1848-1894) which is a great pity for I have always been interested about her. I am a great fan of her mother, princess Clémentine. I have posted the little I know about Amalie in the French Royals thread (p.2) in the "Windsor" section. Here is the link :

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Windsor;action=display;num=1107184798;start=25

See A.N. Wilson's-The Rise and Fall of the House of Windsor (1993) for a detailed description of the "Coburg Curse" and info on Amelie.  Follow the Money!!!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

YaBB_Jose

Once of the best known and prolific families in Europe, always in the limelight.
They ruled in the UK, Portugal, Belgium and Bulgaria.

Nowadays one of the lowest-profile royal families, may be "paying" for the wrong choices the last reigning Duke Carl-Edward made.

Duke Carl Edward (1884-1954) married 1905 Pss. Victoria-Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg (1885-1970)

The couple had 5 children:

Johan-Leopold (1906-72)
Sybilla (1908-72)
Hubert (1909-43)
Carolina-Mathilde (Calma)  (1912-83)
Frederick Josias (1918-98)

Sybilla is by far the best known as she married the swedish crown-prince and was the mother of the present king Carl XVI Gustav.
Hubert died in WW2 as well as Calma's first husband.

What can be said about Johan-Leopold, Hubert, Calma and Fred.Josias ?
Pictures/photos of them, their spouses and children would be welcomed.

Rebecca

Sybilla is by far the best known as she married the swedish crown-prince and was the mother of the present king Carl XVI Gustav.
Hubert died in WW2 as well as Calma's first husband.

Just a minor correction, if you do not mind, José. :) Sibylla's husband, prince Gustaf Adolf, was never crown prince, as he died (in an air crash) while his grandfather was the reigning king and his father still the crown prince.

As for Caroline Mathilde (Calma), all I can remember instantly about her is that later in life she was rather unhappy with the way her family treated her after she divorced her first husband and remarried. Also I think I have read somewhere that she felt some resentment towards her sister Sibylla for not helping her personally during World War II.

Offline Daniela

• Boyar
    • View Profile
http://www.geocities.com/kaiser_prussia/carl_eduard_biog.html

Biography with a couple of photos!

Daniela

Izberi svojo ljubezen, in ljubi svoj izbor!

YaBB_Jose

I am also looking for pics of Carl-Eduard's children Johann-Leopold, Calma, Hubertus and Frederick Josias and their spouses.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:44:02 AM by Svetabel »

YaBB_Jose

Still no pics of Carl-Eduard's children Johann-Leopold, Calma, Hubertus and Frederick Josias and their spouses :-\ ?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Caroline Mathilde

(from pro.corbis.com)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page

Johann-Leopold and grandmother [posted on an old thread]

« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:45:08 AM by Svetabel »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

YaBB_Jose

Do you want to see single pictures or group-photos?

Preferably single pictures.
Or pictures of the couples.
Is there any of Ernst-Leopold and his wife, the ones that commited the suicide pact ?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
The German news magazines and newspapers certainly ran photos after their deaths.  However, these photos are under 75 years old, and thus remain in copyright.

Do you want to see single pictures or group-photos?

Preferably single pictures.
Or pictures of the couples.
Is there any of Ernst-Leopold and his wife, the ones that commited the suicide pact ?
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Duke of New Jersey

Are there any threads involving Charled Edward?  I haven't seen any.  I used the search feature like some of the moderators suggested in other threads but only the present Prince of Wales comes up. Does anybody have any pictures of him, I haven't seen any and I read on wilkipedia (not a reliable source, I know) that he was bullied by Arthur of Connaught to take Saxe-Couburg-Gotha? Does anybody know any details about him later in life? 

-Duke of NJ

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Unfortunately for 'Charlie' as he was called in the family, he is primarily known nowadays for his Nazi activities. His went beyond the flirtation or even eager early support of many royals. He turned his daughter Sybilla's wedding to Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden (parents of the current Swedish King) into a Nazi event. This caused a lot of controversy and GV wouldn't let his son attend the wedding and the groom's grandfather, Gustav V wouldn't attend.  On the evening of the wedding, 4000 Nazis marched in a torchlight procession through the town. The actual wedding route was lined by saluting Brownshirts, and a message from Hitler was read out at the reception. It was a source of much trouble later on in Sweden for the couple, especially during WW2. Because of his position as a cousin to George V he had a high profile and even wore his Nazi uniform to GV's funeral in 1936.

He was prosecuted and imprisoned after the war and suffered confiscation of wealth and properties. He was president of the German Red Cross and the institution was basically a Nazi organization. One story said that when inmates of the concentration camps saw Red Cross vehicles drive up to the camp gates, they typically rioted, because the arrival of the Red Cross meant that more people were going to shipped off to the camps or to medical experiments. Charles's cousins on the maternal side, the Waldeck-Pyrmonts, and his wife's family, the Schleswig-Holsteins, had a very strong involvement with the Nazis. Reading her trying to defend some of Charlie's activities is one of the more painful parts of Alice Albany's wonderful memoirs. He was released after a short time due to his problems with arthritis and lived his few remaining years quietly.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:36:18 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
I read on wilkipedia (not a reliable source, I know) that he was bullied by Arthur of Connaught to take Saxe-Couburg-Gotha?

There was a widely repeated story that Arthur Jr threatened to punch him in the nose if he didn't take the dukedom but I don't know how true that is. It could've just been a story bandied about that played to national feelings as the British public weren't too keen on losing their princes to Germany. Certainly Duke Arthur wasn't keen on the idea at all since he was a career soldier who aspired to the position of as head of the Army held by George, Duke of Cambridge and was a very proud Englishman. The decision wasn't really Charlie's either. His mother finally was convinced because once the Connaughts declined, there weren't any other British princes in the male line except for those in the future King Edward's line and that was unacceptable.

The decision on Charlie was a popular one in Germany since he was still young and could be educated as a German. That was one of the things that had 'dogged' Duke Alfred--he was an English-born, English-reared British naval officer. His son was educated in Germany and thus was considered German but that was lost with his death. Arthur Jr was still young but he was a few years older than Charlie. Plus, in addition to Charles's relations in the Prussian court, the Duchess of Albany was a German princess and that was considered a plus as well since he would have a network of relatives in the country. The Duchess moved her 2 children to Germany and the young Duke left Eton and entered a school in Germany. They spent a good deal of time with Kaiser Wilhelm who, no doubt, looked forward to influencing the Coburg Duke--something that wouldn't have been as likely with Arthur Jr, especially with him having a living father.

The closeness with the Court led to rumors that Alice would marry the German Crown Prince, while Charlie's eventual wife, Princess Victoria Adelheid of Schleswig-Holstein, was the niece of the Kaiserin.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 04:38:38 PM by grandduchessella »

Duke of New Jersey

Does anybody have photos of Carl Edward?

And thank you Granduchessella for your help in this thread and all through out the forum.  You are really a wealth of knowledge and in my opinion the best moderator of this site. 

-Duke of NJ