Author Topic: More colour photos from Imperial Russia  (Read 6848 times)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
More colour photos from Imperial Russia
« on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:55 PM »
very striking portaits

http://humus.livejournal.com/2550810.html

Pyotr Vedenisov (1866-1937) graduated from the Moscow Conservatory in 1888 and soon came to Yalta, where he soon became one of the most interesting people of the city. A professional pianist, he often appeared as a soloist. Engaged in local history, meteorology and photography, and was able to do avtohromy color in the glass. Especially good they were on the screen, which are projected by the torch. 
Preserved 150 color glass plates Peter Vedenisova created from 1909 to 1914. Andrey Kazakov. Yalta, 1911-1912

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
Re: More colour photos from Imperial Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Simply beautiful! Thanks for posting the link.

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:11:22 PM »
Those are wonderful. It's really makes the people seem so much more real than black and white photos.

Offline Maria the Beautiful

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
These are magnificent.   I agree with EmmyLee - if not for the period clothing, these could have been taken yesterday.   Did anyone notice the flags of different countries on the Christmas tree photo.  I noticed a couple of USA flags at the top of the tree.  Thanks for posting BlessOTMA!

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
Forgot to mention how beautiful and wholesome the children in these photos are!

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:35:28 PM »
Forgot to mention how beautiful and wholesome the children in these photos are!

I agree with everyone here and found the assortment of Christmas Tree flags as interesting as those photos of the children were stunning. I always feel like if I keep scrolling eventually I'll come to the color photos of the IF.

Someday hopefully :-)
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Alixz

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »
One of the pictures looked like a shot of the Palace of Livadia. Since that is in Yalta, it might be possible.

I have a whole book of color photos from the early 1900s called Photographs for the Tsar. The pictures are wonderful and do look like they were taken just yesterday.

We always remember the past as if it were lived in black and white and those pictures almost make one think that they were not real people of the Crimea, but actors portraying them.

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
One of the pictures looked like a shot of the Palace of Livadia. Since that is in Yalta, it might be possible.

Alixz, I may be wrong but I think that palace in the background looks like it may be Dyulber - notice the Moorish style facade and the dome.   I don't believe Livadia has a dome, does it?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
Its Dyulber Palace. Not Livadia.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »

I have a whole book of color photos from the early 1900s called Photographs for the Tsar. The pictures are wonderful and do look like they were taken just yesterday.

We always remember the past as if it were lived in black and white and those pictures almost make one think that they were not real people of the Crimea, but actors portraying them.

Could'nt agree more. It's amazing how 100+ years can seem to vanish when one gets lost in a stunning color photograph, yet a lesser quality snapshot from fifty years ago can seem ancient.

I draw comfort from this. You look at one of those pictures and realize that every living thing in it (from the people, to the bushes and trees, to the blades of grass) is dead and gone. Yet the very fact that it looks like the picture could have been taken yesterday lends itself to the wonderful regenerating quality of life in this world we live in. The past is never far from the present and those who have passed on are but a step beyond.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 05:45:55 PM »
Well said edubs31.

Those photos do indeed look like they have been taken yesterday. Hard to believe they were taken in the early 20th century. They are fantastic quality.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:03:35 AM »
I always feel like if I keep scrolling eventually I'll come to the color photos of the IF.
lol me too! Indeed the years melt away somehow when one looks at these , glad everyone enjoyed them.

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Sunny

• Knyaz
  • Царь Николай, твоё имя - любовь
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 05:13:59 AM »
I confess i'm not very interested in the portraits, since i don't know the people, but... the landscapes of Crimea are stunning! it's like being there, and i like those color photos much more than the one we have now!
Please visit my site
http://thelostworldofnaotmaa.wordpress.com/

Banner courtesy of GD Ally