Author Topic: Marie Feodorovna, her correspondence - letters, diaries etc  (Read 122575 times)

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Marie Feodorovna, her correspondence - letters, diaries etc
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2007, 03:40:48 AM »
These true that Maria, Alexandra and Thura was near their Sister-in-law, except for the woman of their brother, the Princess of Sweden.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2007, 08:11:34 PM »
Indeed ! "Aunt Swan" as she was called in the family.  ::) Dagmar also complained that Thyra did not write enough.  :(

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »
who was Aunt Cathy????
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
Maria Féodorovna, empress of Russia, born Princess Dagmar of Denmark (1847-1928).
Letter autograph signed: "Minny", Gatchina, June 17, 1906, addressed to his sister-in-law, Princess Mary of Denmark, born Princess of Orleans (1865-1909), p. 4 In-4, on letterhead with the figure of the Empress, with its preserved envelope.
Text in french.

"Dear Mary, thank you a thousand times for your dear letter and the delightful little thought which made me so much pleasure.
She is so pretty and stands in front of me on my desk. I greatly regret not having seen Anderson this time and do not understand why he did not come to my house.
When I asked him to come here, I was told that it was already left. Here I am sending you my number for the factory that you asked me and finds the idea of this little figure in memory of the dear Papa very pretty and hopes that it will succeed. For your telegram I learned the departure of Waldemar [Prince Waldemar of Denmark (1885-1939), husband of Princess Marie] with Aage [Aage prince of Denmark (1887-1940), son of Princess Marie] for France and Gmunden, it will be happy to Thyra [Thyra Duchess of Cumberland (1853-1933), sister of the empress] to see him again. She writes very rarely in general. I thirst for news from all of you. I feel so sad and abandoned. Here we live in a time much more seriously, and that's sad. The storm is closer and closer.

There is a sense of walking on a volcano. God only knows how this will end, it helps us out.
Je t'embrasse tenderly with the ladies and children. God bless dear Mary. Your well affectionnée Minny. I will try to send you roses Socrates as soon as possible ".

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/Lettre/12011874828133641.jpg

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Maria Féodorovna, empress of Russia, born Princess Dagmar of Denmark (1847-1928).
Map autograph signed: "Minny", Gatchina, June 17, 1902, addressed to his sister-in-law, Princess Mary of Denmark, born Princess of Orleans (1865-1909), seen on the reverse side of Anitchkoff palace, residence of 'empress.
Text in french.

"Dear Mary, thank you a thousand times for your beautiful photographs of you and your sister-in-law that I am very happy to have, as well as your three letters. Everything is already facilitating the travel of your cousin.
What terrible nightmare that the disease so dangerous and anguish of the poor Bertie [nickname of King Edward VII of Great Britain], just on the eve of his coronation. Thank God that it's going better now and he is out of danger. Mischa [Michel Alexandrovitch, Grand Duke of Russia, the brother of Nicolas II] has already left London yesterday, which proves that everything goes normally. What happiness for Alix [Alexandra, Queen of Great Britain, sister of the Empress Maria Feodorovna] to have his brothers around her.
Je t'embrasse tenderly. Ton affectionnée sister Minny "

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/Lettre/12011874832033081.jpg

Offline Alexandre64

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2008, 10:01:44 AM »
Maria Féodorovna, empress of Russia.
Interesting telegram sent to Dr. Boris Malama (private doctor of the Imperial Family), by Countess Zénaïde Mengden, maiden of honor of the Empress Maria Féodorovna (1847-1928), Copenhagen, February 22, 1928, some time before death the Empress.
"After my boss influenza still very low could you do not immediately come to Copenhagen for a few days. Visa will be ready in Paris at the Legation"

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj213/Alexandre64_2007/Lettre/12011874854094351.jpg

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2008, 07:15:30 PM »
Aunt Cathy was Grand Duchess Ekaterina Mikhailovna, daughter of Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich, and grand daughter of Emperor Paul.  She was married to Duke George of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who was a first cousin of Maria Feodorovnas mother, Queen Louise.

Offline M. le Comte de Boir

• I love Minnie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2008, 10:03:23 AM »
It's so nice to hear what Minnie said about Princess Yurievskaya. I know Minnie really hated her for a while but now Minnie and Sasha's actions after the death of Alexander II make sense. (They gave her a pension and a palace and told her to go away, but they did it nicely.) Anyway, thank you so much for sharing that with us!
I did not become the King's First Minister to preside over the fall of the British Empire!

-Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
Has anyone ever read the Empress' diaries of the 1914-1919 years? I have a Russian copy of her diaries and now I've finished reading the 1918 year. Just want to express some feelings on this.

I got bored reading the 1914-1916 years and that's why: I read many journals/diaries of common and Royal persons and I exactly know that one should not expect something really EXCITING from such epistolary, and the MF's records are not an exception.
Certainly she was not writing her entries and thinking "Oh,someday historians will read and be fascinated", her records is an everyday routine. Though sometimes it's getting funny as she frequently uses words "wonderful" and "sweet" describing people, things and events..as if all around is sweet and  wonderful, the people are wonderful, the hospitals are wonderful and so on. It's a shining example that the Romanovs lived in a gilded cage, the aged Empress reasons as a naive girl. And this "girl" sometimes sounds sooo egoistic that one can feel sorry for her relatives and inner circle. Her relations with daughters is the best example.

Also one episode impressed me much: The Romanian Royal Family was seeking for a refuge in 1916 after the Germans invaded Romania and the Russian government asked Empress MF if she could make some rooms for the Romanians in her residence in Kiev. The Empress got furious!! She flatly refused and bluntly wrote in her diary that such request was impossible, she would have been squeezed up in her residence and probably would have been forced to leave her place. Here one must keep in mind that the Empress was living alone, only with her attendants in a comfortable big Palace....and in 1918-1919 years Queen Marie of Romania would try to save the lives of her Romanov relatives and especially the Empress'.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
Indeed. Much of the information that came out recently is in Russian only. Would love to see that information translated to English.

Offline Yelena Aleksandrovna

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • *Glitter Of The Past*
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 11:50:30 AM »
Thank you very much for post all the information and the letter, sadly I can't understand anything that
she wrote, but thank you!!!

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 04:12:16 PM »
Its a pity that there are no English versions of her diaries, only in Russian and Danish.

Offline William-Kentucky

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:52 AM »
I would like to know about the letter of Maria to her sister Alexandra. I think they would be in the Royal Archives at Windsor Castle. I wonder whether these are in Danish or English as they would be most interesting as they would express her opinions whereas the ones in the Russian archives would be answers to questions from Maria by Alexandra her sister.

I once had the pleasure of meeting Georgina Battiscombe, author of what is, to date, the definitive biography of Queen Alexandra.

In the course of our talk, she discussed in detail her search in the Royal Archives (Windsor) and in the Royal Danish Archives (Copenhagen) and the paucity of relevant material she found in both.

It seems that upon the death of her various relatives, the Queen asked that her letters to them be returned.  In most cases, her wishes were honored.  Shortly after Queen Alexandra's death, her friend and confidante Charlotte Knollys, following the Queen's instructions, burned all the personal letters to and from the late Queen that she could find.

One of the rare exceptions were the letters Queen Alexandra wrote to her youngest brother, Prince Waldemar.  These are housed in the Royal Danish Archives, but as Prince Waldermar did not die until 1939, they were to have been under embargo until at least 1989.  (Mrs. Battiscombe did her research in the 1960s; whether or not these letters have since been un-sealed, I do not know.)

As for the Russian archives, Mrs. Battiscombe was able to make use of the one volume of the Queen's letters to the Empress Marie which the Soviet authorities included in a display at an exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum.  At that time, the Russian authorities were quite vague about when they might translate the voumes and release them for research; as Mrs. Battiscombe said, with quiet tact (and understatement), "I'm afraid the translation of volumes of letters writen in Danish in a rather unshaky hand was not high on their list of priorities."

I hope this ramble is of some help in providing some background as to the apparent dearth of letters from the Empress Marie to Queen Alexandra!

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2009, 07:21:30 AM »
What about her letters to Thyra?

Offline William-Kentucky

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2009, 06:04:41 AM »
What about her letters to Thyra?

Hi, Teddy:

Good question.  Presumably, any letters written to Princess Thyra (Duchess of Cumberland) by Queen Alexandra or the Empress Marie would be in the Hanover family archives, though just where these archives are located, how complete they are, what condition they might be in (losses and/or damages during World War II), and whether or not they are open to researchers, I do not know.

(By the same token, there may well be letters from Queen Alexandra to Queen Olga or to her children in the Greek archives --- though whether these are government or private family archives or just how complete they might be, again I don't know.)