Author Topic: Question About/Need Help With Picture(s)  (Read 174125 times)

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
Re: Question About/Need Help With Picture(s)
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2009, 05:46:45 PM »
Does anyone know when the picture of Olga in a sailor suit holding some flowers outside was taken? I'm guessing 1906, but i could be totally wrong...
I don't know how to post pictures, but if you want to see it it's on Olga's wikipedia page.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
I think the one must have been taken sometime after 1906. It is labeled as 'Grand Duchess Olga gathers flowers during a summer cruise aboard the Imperial yacht. Courtesy: Beinecke Library.'. I believe it was taken in Finland. There was one 1907 summer cruise to Finland.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline MademoiselleAndrea

• Knyaz
  • Take me as you find me, all my fears and failures.
    • View Profile
    • Past A La Mode: A Presentation and Celebration of Historical Fashion
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »
Thank you!
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything You gave me". --Erma Bombeck

Offline victoriakin

• An Old Photo of My Grandpa, Very Dear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 08, 2010, 07:02:18 AM »
New question about a photo on the website. I'm not really knowledgeable about who is who in the family portrait consisting of the four girls and the boy. There isn't a caption. I wonder if you would please tell me, who is who of the girls, top left to bottom right in the photo:

Thanks.
World Travel Bookings Available from
http://portspecials.com

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #214 on: January 08, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »
From the left: Grand Duchess Tatiana, Grand Duchess Anastasia, Grand Duchess Olga and Grand Duchess Maria. In front of them Tsarevich Alexei.

Offline victoriakin

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 08, 2010, 08:58:37 AM »
From the left: Grand Duchess Tatiana, Grand Duchess Anastasia, Grand Duchess Olga and Grand Duchess Maria. In front of them Tsarevich Alexei.

Are you saying that the bottom right is Grand Duchess Olga, or the bottom left is Grand Duchess Olga?

Offline SweetAngels

• "Damm the rules, make it an experiment"-BP
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 08, 2010, 09:22:44 AM »
It is Alexei in the center with Olga behind him, Maria is net to the flower and Tatiana next to the exit and that leaves Anastasia to be in front of Tatiana :)

"He who knows best, never learns anything"~Henrik Tikkanen
"Wo man singt, da lass Dich ruhig nieder. Böse Menschen haben keine Lieder."~ J. C Seume

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2010, 06:43:39 AM »

Are you saying that the bottom right is Grand Duchess Olga, or the bottom left is Grand Duchess Olga?
GD Olga is the one behind the boy that's Tsarevich Alexei !!

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2010, 06:43:36 AM »
Hope you've cleared your mind xD

Offline victoriakin

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2010, 09:26:50 AM »

Indeed, though now I'm confused, since I asked only about the girls, why Alexei was consistently brought into the descriptions of the girls' positioning? I think who Alexei is in the photo is the easiest part! :-)

Everyone knows traditional photo identifications run top left to top right, then bottom left to bottom right, and somehow,
this proved too great for you to perform. I am clear now on where Olga is positioned in the photo, but I don't see
the exit being described. Is that on the left side of the photo? How do you know it is an exit?

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
Everyone knows traditional photo identifications run top left to top right, then bottom left to bottom right, and somehow,
this proved too great for you to perform.

Everyone knows what it means when somebody writes: "From the left"

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2010, 12:36:15 PM »
Indeed, though now I'm confused, since I asked only about the girls, why Alexei was consistently brought into the descriptions of the girls' positioning? I think who Alexei is in the photo is the easiest part! :-)

this proved too great for you to perform. I am clear now on where Olga is positioned in the photo, but I don't see
the exit being described. Is that on the left side of the photo? How do you know it is an exit?

I don't see how it isn't easy in the first place.

If people are trying to help your confused mind with identifying a picture you really have no right to be rude about not being able to get it.

The exit is obviously an exit because you can see the opening to the outside with trees. It's right between Olga and Tatiana if you know who they are.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »

That's it, because he's the easiest part to describe, so I've used he showing that Olga was the person behind he. Simple ^^""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""".

Offline victoriakin

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 20, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »

I don't see how it isn't easy in the first place.

If people are trying to help your confused mind with identifying a picture you really have no right to be rude about not being able to get it.

The exit is obviously an exit because you can see the opening to the outside with trees. It's right between Olga and Tatiana if you know who they are.

I did not mean to appear rude and sorry that impression was given. I think that I was more confused with the answers and so I had to restate the question. When there are numerous rows, it is unclear if there is the pattern such as from left to the go-round of clockwise when dealing with the lower, or counter-clockwise when going round to the upper row. I'm just accustomed to having the photo line-ups defined with clarity so that upper rows and lower rows are defined specifically or the direction of "counter-clockwise from the left" being the circular pattern to go upwards from downwards. As you can see, the question I asked apparently did not get seen as a specific pleading for clarity but was viewed as an opportunity to test my voracity to decide which direction I was to view what someone decided to say. One could surmise that the rudeness may be in the eye of the beholder, or the holder, of the needed favor. Being that as it may be, I am new here, and I am taking my references from conventions outside of this forum. My lack of knowledge that those conventions are not applied here is a thing that I'd like to point out. As it is, I'm very surprised to see as many photos here as I do see, and in some photos I'm more able to spot who may be who because the captions are shown in the conventions I am familiar with.

I am clear about who in the photo is Olga now, thanks to your efforts here who have helped answer my question and for that I thank you. I'd like to still be clear about the exit, as I still don't see an exit. I wasn't in the room; dare I say that none of us was? Where is the exit? I see you describing an exit with markers, but I don't see the markers.

My personality is a bit on the sardonic side, either that or starkingly comedic. But I do not intend to be rude. Thanks to all.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #224 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:17 AM »
"Exit" is right behind the children, but it´s not a door. The room is actually a part of a balcony. You can see it better in these pics:
The one in question in full:
http://nd01.blog.cz/016/967/fec5e44138_41928912_o2.jpg

And the same place, same day, only with cutrtains drawn back
http://nd01.blog.cz/667/103/96caf0018d_41928929_o2.jpg