Author Topic: The End of the Romanovs by Victor Alexandrov  (Read 13364 times)

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
Re: The End of the Romanovs by Victor Alexandrov
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 07:56:20 AM »
Hi everyone

Firstly thankyou for all your wonderful, wonderful replies! They have all been very interesting!

But anyway, you will not beleive what I found in a charity shop today! A copy of The Last Granduchess by Ian Vorres, for wait for it, £1.25! Is this book rare? I think it is cos I have only seen one copy on Amazon (anewer copy and that was for around £125! Is this the highly regarded book about Olga? Or the other one that no one likes very much?

Thankyou once again for your help!

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2006, 10:51:12 AM »
Yes, it is indeed rare, and you got quite a deal! Last Grand Duchess rarely goes for less than $50 in the US; I thought my copy for $15 was a steal!

Here is a thread that mentions it:
Once a Grand Duchess

I like Last Grand Duchess very much. It's Olga Aleksandrovna's memoirs, as recorded by Vorres near the end of her life. IMO, it gives a much better flavor of Olga's personality than a standard biography.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2006, 11:55:52 AM »
WOW  :o!!!!!!!!! I never thought it would go for that much! Thankyou for the info Sarushka.

I'm never going to part with it though, it is absolutely wonderful, this is gonna sound really cliched but it's really like Olga takes you back there with her memories.  GD Olga A has always been a favourite, because she's just such and interesting person, and this book helps me to understand her far better!

It's really just chance I even got it, I got the wrong bus back to college after study leave, a bus that was far to early and decided to walk into town rather than face boredom. I walked into all the charity shops (there was nothing better to do!) and all I found was an over-expensive copy of The Romanov Conspiracies, that I have already. I only found it when I walked into the very last charity shop, it was in the English royalty section, and I would of never realised it was there if I hadn't seen Vorres on the dustjacket! I couldn't actually remember who who was but I picked it up and there it was, once a grand duchess!

It also has a curious inscription:

March 20th 1965

A reminder (at first I thought this bit was in Russian!) of a rainy day.

To Rhoddy with Love.

This inscription's reallly odd, because it seems like the 'Rhoddy' who this book was dedicated to must of had something to do with the book's subject matter. I know this is probably just a day dream, but I wonder with the 'V' is Ian Vorres?  Oh well, I guess I'll probably never know who this 'Rhoddy' was!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Rachael89 »
It's not fair!

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 06:56:16 AM »
This must be your best 'find' to date, and just proves that these books are still out there if you are prepared to put in the time and effort. There are just two on offer on abebooks.co.uk at the moment, at £50.00 for a 3rd edition with no dust-wrapper and £62.50 for a first edition (with dustwrapper). From the date of the inscription, yours must be a first edition. Does it have a dust-wrapper?
Whether it does or not, it's an absolute dream to find it for £1.25. Good job Ra-Ra's on holiday ~ she wouldn't be able to cope with that!! I have two nice copies of the third edition ~ it was done in green leatherette with gold titles and the double eagle crest on the cover. One has been signed by Ian Vorres ~ apparently he signed the first 500 copies of this edition. It's a lovely book and I know you'll learn a lot from it. It's especially useful when considering the Anna Anderson affair, and GD Olga has some very telling comments to make (she shd know ~ she spent a lot of time with Anastasia). I agree with you about inscriptions on the fly-leaves of older books ~ I love them too and often wonder who the people were and under what circumstances they owned the book. My favourite (referred to on another thread) is on my 1927 copy of Benckendorff's 'Last Days at Tsarskoe Selo' which reads : 'My Dear Lizzie, I am sure you will appreciate these few words written by my husband, whom you knew in Russia, from your affectionate old grannie, Nice, S France, 20th May 1927.'  For years I wondered who Lizzie might be, but then, thanks to a knowledgeable member of the AP Forum, I began to find out about her..... It's all part of this wonderful world of the Romanovs.........Congratulations again on a great find. Look after it !

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 07:55:48 AM »
Thanks for your reply Markov, you're right, I am very, very lucky! Mine does have the dust jacket, but it has big tears, I'll do a scan at some point proabbly. The only thing I regret is that I didn't know it was worth anything at first so I looked at it without the dustjacket with dirty fingers   :-[ ! There are no a few light marks because of that but hopefully they will fade with time. From now on I am being extremely careful, yesterday I put a piece of cling film over the pages I was reading to make sure I didn't damage it! In fact I'm almost afraid to read it now I know it's value  :P!

I am glad to have the dustjacket because it has a lovely photo of Olga in old age that is not inside the book itself, I feel very priviledged to own a copy!

I feel sorry for Ra Ra, she dosen't have many good charity shops near her! I guess I must just be lucky because in the past month or two I have found...

The Last Tsar and Tsarina by Virginia Cowles - £2.99
The Romanovs by Virginia Cowles - £1
Anastasia: The Lost Princess - £1.50
The End of the Romanovs by Victor Alexandrov - £4.49
The Last Grand Duchess by Ian Vorres -£1.25

At one point all of these prices would of seen huge to me, but now I have a part time job, they don't seem quite so bad.

Also one of the charity shops had loads of books on Russian Orthodoxy one time, one was lovely in a  slip case with lot's of big colourful photos of the icons, but it was in Russian ( which I can't understand)and cost £5 that I didn't have, so I decided to leave it.

Best

Rachael

P.S. There is a trip with college to Russia next year! If I can afford it and persuade at least one of my friends to come with me, nothing's going to stop em going! A trip to Russia would REALLY be something to look forward to  :D!

It's not fair!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 04:23:49 PM »
This book seems full of very interesting info, but it does date back to 1966 making it possibly outdated in light of new discoveries. Does anyone have it, and what is your review of it? Thanks.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 04:49:15 PM »
I have this book Annie.

The book is still very useful but is problematic in a number of areas.

Strangely enough there was a recent Russian language publication written by another person with the same surname: Alexei Alexandrov and his co-author Valeri Prishep, in 2006 which provides an excellent appraisal of many key documents (including those that appear for the first time in print), which they found in GARF relating to the Ekaterinburg massacre. It is a scholarly presentation that was compiled by two jurists from the Russian Federation.

Margarita

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »
The book is still very useful but is problematic in a number of areas.

I agree. I don't have a copy of my own so I can't comment on the text right now, but I recall that a great many of the photo captions are wildly inaccurate.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 07:56:21 PM »
Margarita- I didn't know there was a new book of the same name. Do they have this one in Russia?

Sarushka- yes the captions are inaccurate, they have one picture of Anastasia in her white dress and hat, long flowing hair, and it says it was the last picture ever taken of her soon before she died. Not.

I haven't read it all yet (I know I checked it out and read it back when I first got into the Romanovs in Jr. high but that was YEARS ago) but leafing through it I noticed a very interesting irony. In a letter from Maria to Anna V., it was revealed that 'we are staying at the house where you stayed'- the authors say apparently Anna V. and others who made the pilgrimage to Rasputin's village had spent the night in the Ipatiev house! *chills*

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
I've read it and it had many problems, there are frequent inaccuracies and mistakes. It's an interesting read, but I had to take most of what I was reading with a pinch of salt due to the extremely dobutful nature of what was being said. I don't have the book with me (I'm at university) but if I did I'd be able to give examples of some of the mistakes.

However, it is good for the photos, even if they do all seem to be labelled wrong.

Rachael
It's not fair!