Author Topic: Family Resemblance Photos  (Read 27409 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Family Resemblance Photos
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »
Thanks, Laura, I wasn't sure of that.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 03:40:40 PM »
Directly transliterating from Cyrillic script it is Kseniya. Xenia is the usual English spelling, probably via French.

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 08:22:48 AM »
What I found most astonishing is that none of the girls inherited their mother's (Queen Victoria's) nose - not even Anastasia. Queen Victoria did pass her looks on to her children and to many of her grandchildren and to some of her great-grandchildren. Queen Victoria's looks is still around today - just look at the British royals: especially Beatrice, Charles, prince Philip. The girls, however, did not have much of Queen Victoria in them.

Offline Erika

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 03:19:53 PM »
I just read my own post and I realized that it sounds as though I Queen Victoria was the girls' mother. I meant that Alexandra got her nose from her grandmother, but didn't pass it on to her children.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 05:24:13 PM »
I guess OTMA got their noses from their fathers side of the family.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »

Yes, and more specifically, from Emperor Paul. The girls' retrousee noses are especially noticeable in their photos in profile from the years 1903-1908 or so.
Rodney G.

Offline Lady Macduff

• Boyar
  • We will meet again in better times. - TN
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »
I disagree. Tatiana had her mother's nose. I'll try to find some good profile shots.
We are sitting together as usual, but you are missing from the room. - AN

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2013, 03:31:02 PM »
I agree about Tatiana having Alix's nose. I did see a pic here comparing, but I can't remember what thread it was on.

The Imp had her mother's looks.

For sure!

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »

Yes, and more specifically, from Emperor Paul. The girls' retrousee noses are especially noticeable in their photos in profile from the years 1903-1908 or so.

I recently saw a side-by-side comparison between the profiles of Maria Nikolaevna and Emperor Pavel's son, Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich--the resemblance was striking.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2013, 06:02:49 PM »
I said the girls inherited their noses from Emperor Paul, and I think they did,but the resemblance is most noticeable in Olga ('my humble snub"), then Marie and Anastasia ,and relatively less in Tatiana.
Rodney G.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2013, 06:42:57 PM »
I said the girls inherited their noses from Emperor Paul, and I think they did,but the resemblance is most noticeable in Olga ('my humble snub"), then Marie and Anastasia ,and relatively less in Tatiana.

I don't know; I think all of OTMA were much better looking than Emperor Pavel. ;)  Maybe one or two of them inherited his nose, but it probably ended there.  Painter Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun said of the emperor:  “Paul was exceedingly ugly.  A flat nose, and a very large mouth furnished with very long teeth, made him look like a death's head.”  Not too complimentary.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2013, 06:50:29 PM »

I don't know; I think all of OTMA were much better looking than Emperor Pavel. ;)  Maybe one or two of them inherited his nose, but it probably ended there.  Painter Elisabeth Vigee-Lebrun said of the emperor:  “Paul was exceedingly ugly.  A flat nose, and a very large mouth furnished with very long teeth, made him look like a death's head.”  Not too complimentary.

I agree Dru, but interestingly it seems there were at least some who disregarded the beauty that most of us today see in OTMA. I've heard people refer to Tatiana as the only of the four daughters who truly possessed her mother's beauty. I think this is ridiculous and of course there are others who gushed over their looks. But for some OMA were fairly ordinary looking princesses. Attractive but not the beauties many of us consider them.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 07:05:51 PM »
Tatiana was the most unique looking one for me. Anastasia could gave grown more into her looks. Olga was quite pretty and Maria, for me, was the most beautiful of the four girls. OTMA were each attractive in their own, unique way in my opinion.

Dru, Maria was most definitely a Romanov in looks by far. I can definitely see in that side by side profile photos you posted, that the nose is pretty much the same. Similar.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

II'm just pointing out OTMA's noses' resemblance to Emperor  Paul's. I didn't and don't think they're unatractive. In fact I think they're all beautiful, including the preadolescent Anastasia. Their father Nicholas Ii had somerhing of the Pauline nose and was rightly regarded as quite handsome. Like father, like daughters.
Rodney G.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 12:33:19 PM »

II'm just pointing out OTMA's noses' resemblance to Emperor  Paul's. I didn't and don't think they're unatractive. In fact I think they're all beautiful, including the preadolescent Anastasia. Their father Nicholas Ii had somerhing of the Pauline nose and was rightly regarded as quite handsome. Like father, like daughters.

I know you were just pointing out the resemblance, and I do apologize if it sounded like I was trying to argue with you--I promise that was not my intention.  I was just sharing some information I thought was interesting and possibly relevant to the conversation.