Author Topic: FOXED - For those who want to know the Truth  (Read 40836 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: FOXED - For those who want to know the Truth
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
they died in "utmost secrecy",

Of course, that makes no sense.  You would think that if they had made it, they would live opening, perhaps even writing books about their experience.  This going into hiding makes no sense, so that already shoots the idea of any of them making it full of holes.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:32 PM »

Anna Anderson first identified herself as Tatiana.  Then, finding herself too short for the role, remembered she was Anastasia.  Etc.

I hesitate to take exception with the Most Esteemed Tsarfan, but there is no proof that AA ever claimed she was Tatiana. This was a mistake made by Clara Peuthert, and one propigated as proof against AA by others which in fact had no basis in reality.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »
Since Pleuthert's report that Tatiana had been found caused at least three people (Nicholas von Schwabe, Zinaida Tolstoy, and Sophie Buxhoeveden) to visit Anderson at the asylum -- with the first two accepting her as Tatiana -- I assumed she was acquiescing in the claim.  It was not until Buxhoeveden opined that she was too short to be Tatiana that Anderson finally said she never claimed to be Tatiana.

I took failure to deny the identification by the initial visitors who accepted her as Tatiana as equivalent to making the claim, but perhaps that was going too far.

The Most Esteemed Tsarfan stands corrected, chastened, and flattered.

Offline Greg_King

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Atlantis Magazine
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:55 AM »
AA made a lot of crazy claims, don't get me wrong-but being Tatiana wasn't among....as for the rest of this thread, and its companion thread on the other recent "it's all a secret and they all/some/one survived" book...gosh golly...I guess the thirty pieces of silver with which the Hessian Royal Family and the Windsors paid off Penny and myself to compel us to write our book should have been a bit more so that we could probe a bit deeper into the elusive TRUTH

My humble salaam before Most Esteemed Tsarfan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:40:13 AM by Greg_King »

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »
Well, I am usually in need of someone's salaam.  Yours will do nicely.

And you are certainly right about Anderson cum Tatiana.  I overstepped in my assumption.

Thanks,
Tsarfan
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:30:27 AM by Tsarfan »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »
All this salami has made me hungry.

FA

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2013, 11:17:53 AM »
Of course, no one offers an explanation as to why, if they all survivied, why they didn't contact their families.  Would Nicholas not get in touch with his mother and two sisters?  Would Alexandra not get in touch with her remaining siblings?  Why would they not get in touch and say "We're okay."  These "historians" never bother with that.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
Alright, then. I have finished the book, and by the way, I would like a medal.

This may be the worst book I have ever read, and I am including the Danielle Steele novel I downed once while on vacation because there was literally nothing else available (and I mean nothing else; before I turned to it, I had read the back of every cereal box in the cabinet and the instructions on a bottle of Listerine, all of which were better than Princess Daisy. But I digress.)

Let's start with the poor quality of the Kindle edition itself. I don't mind an occasional glitch, but FOXED is littered with sentencesthatlook@##$likethisthatyouhavetodecipheralthoughwhenyoudoyoudiscoverthattheyaremeaninglesssowhybother. As I said, the occasional error is fine, but if you are charging people $13.50 a pop to read it, clean the damn thing up.

The writing. Oh my dear God, the writing. If I started to quote from the awkward sentences, we would be here until the turn of the next century. The writing is so bad that it could be used to illustrate a dictionary definition of bad writing. And that's not the worst part of the book!!! Although it will be the part that prevents most people from finishing FOXED. Did I mention the medal?

The characters. The characters in this book make those on MORK AND MINDY look like studies in gritty social realism. Not one behaves in a remotely coherent manner. Not one. They basically exist to get the crackpot theories with which the book abounds across, so there isn't much point in wasting time describing them. My personal favorites were the devoted but hunky priest who tosses his vocation aside after a smoldering pasta lunch with Tonya, whose exact role I never did figure out. Or was it Julianna, the free-spirited sculptress fixated on the Arctic exploreer's widow? Or Alice, the mysterious Orthodox woman who can talk to the dead? See what I mean?

The plot. Hoily Mother of God, the plot. Nicholas and Alexandra and the kids were rescued; no, they weren't; yes, they were; alright, let's just take it for granted that they were so we can get back to overwrought descriptions of mysterious Baronesses with creamy skin and bewitching eyes, and Admiral Kolchak, and Fox, and how the word iron is a code for something whenever it appears and --- I can't go on, I'd turn to salt.

Look. I have no problem with 12 year-olds writing fanfiction, but this doesn't even rise to that level, and the damn thing costs over ten bucks. Run. And don't look back.

I forget. Did I mention the medal?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:53:17 PM by Louis_Charles »
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
Louis Charles: I myself simply could not read the entire, ummm, book is too strong a word....ummm document implies something of importance...ummmm verbiage. Yeah, verbiage.  I hereby grant unto Louis Charles the Alexander Palace Time Machine Medal of Zeal and Dedication to the Cause, with all the rights and privileges appurtenant thereto (of which there are none).  Well deserved.

One small correction, Princess Daisy was not written by Danielle Steel.  It was written by Judith Krantz.  Her son Tony was one of my closest friends at Beverly High.  I actually ponied up and bought a copy of Scruples the day it came out and she kindly autographed it to me.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 07, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
You're right, Rob. I mixed them up. It's like confusing Tolstoy and Turgenev, isn't it? And thanks for the medal. I will wear it with pride on my imaginary uniform.

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2013, 03:52:11 PM »
Or more like confusing Rihanna with Britney Spears.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
Or more like confusing Rihanna with Britney Spears.

Or more like confusing Chris Brown with Kevin Federline :-)

I like the book cover. Therefore 'Foxed' is a winner before I've even read a page!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
I like the book cover.

Why not?  It's the only page of the whole book without typos.

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 07, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
You only think he's kidding.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Sorry about the medal...but why not a nice glass of really good wine, or ten, after all that?