Author Topic: Royal Interiors, Part II  (Read 175449 times)

Offline Le Roi Soleil

• View Profile
Re: Royal Interiors, Part II
« Reply #225 on: November 20, 2010, 04:23:51 PM »
Photograph of the Ground Floor Corridor, Clarence House, St James', London, Benjamin Stone, 1900
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O52545/photograph-national-photographic-record-and-survey/

Photograph of the First Floor Corridor, Clarence House, St James', London, Benjamin Stone, 1900
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O52547/photograph-national-photographic-record-and-survey/

Photograph of Clarence House, St James', London, Benjamin Stone, 1900
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O52544/photograph-national-photographic-record-and-survey/

Photograph of Stafford & Clarence Houses, London, Benjamin Stone, 1900
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O52390/photograph-national-photographic-record-and-survey/

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
A Painting by Will Topley of The Prince of Wale's Private Sitting Room at Clarence House

A Painting by Will Topley of The Duchess of Cornwall's Private Sitting Room at Clarence House

More info about artist at http://www.willtopley.com/Clarence/Clarence.html
It is noticable that Charles has very much kept the essence of his adored grandmother in his sittingroom...the same wall covering....placing of the mirror,portrait etc etc this is also very much the same case in the morning room

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
Yuck, what a clutter!
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2010, 08:24:44 AM »
I think the spirirt of "Cookie" lives on...She was everybody's grandmother although she was pretty elusive herself...

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 22, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Those photographs of the staircase at the north end of the hall raises a question - those pics, and the old floor plans of the house posted elsewhere here, clearly show that staircase is at the end of the Main Corridor (adjacent to the Dining Room on the ground floor and the Double Drawing Room on the first floor). 

But other posters here (some of whom have actually visited Clarence House in recent years) have mentioned that there is no staircase in the Main Corridor.  Does anyone know for sure if that staircase remains intact today, or was it removed sometime during the 20th century? 

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2010, 06:04:48 AM »
If one can believe the tabloids, the Duchess of Cornwall is reported to be a packrat, and very fond of clutter. She is also a very untidy person, and apparently drives Prince Charles around the bend, as he is a meticulously tidy and orderly person.

Offline LauraO

• Boyar
  • You cannot imagine the half of my suffering.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »
The Small Drawing Room at Sandringham

on my last visit to sandringham i remember one of the national trust workers referring to alix (AF)  in connection to the room- odd snippet of information and i can't really remember the context, and i keep meaning to go back and find out but i just havn't got round to it, anyone have any idea what it could be about?

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 01, 2010, 07:46:33 AM »
Yuck, what a clutter!

Quite so, although it does makes me think back to an earlier discussion on the Royal Interiors thread that showed a picture of Princess Michael of Kent's Kensington Palace sitting room.  The dear Princess apparently prefers to stack books, photo frames, and associated other bric-a-brac several feet tall on every table, desk, shelf and flat surface. 

Camilla's room is virtually spartan by comparison!  And to Pavlov's comment about the Duchess being a packrat, I suppose the Prince of Wales should at least be grateful he has an army of housemaids to clean up after his wife!  <grin>

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:46 PM »
Oh I love clutter! You should see my rooms.  :D :D
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2010, 02:45:42 PM »
Do I see there a photo of Diana on the table in the foreground in the room of Charles?

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 02, 2010, 02:04:49 AM »
Queen Elizabeth's breakfast table.  Buckingham Palace.

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2010, 09:46:25 AM »
This is the Queen breakfast table at Windsor castle.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 02, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »
Do I see there a photo of Diana on the table in the foreground in the room of Charles?

Good eye Teddy, now that you've said that, my eyes see it too.  It's that well-known photo of Diana in a black top.  If so, that is quite nice to think Charles keeps a photo of Diana in his private rooms.  Of course, perhaps our eyes are playing tricks on us.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
She was after all the mother of his children and she is dead. People tend to soften about the past when time passes on.

Offline ajwatson82

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2010, 06:00:05 PM »
As I know the Blue room (where George IV, William IV and Prince Albert died) became the Wedgwood Room. This room formed part of George IV's private suite in the central area of the east front of the castle. It originally combined the functions of both bedroom and bathroom. The arrangement of the room was not deemed a success and George IV moved his bed to the adjacent room. The bath was moved elsewhere at the same time. After the death of Prince Albert in this room in 1861, the room was preserved by Queen Victoria, its George IV hangings still intact, as a shrine to his memory. With the accession of Edward VII, the room was stripped out and all traces of its previous use were obliterated.

Here it is first floor plan of the east wing where HM's private apartment is situated

I would love to see the pictures that have been removed, is there anyway that I can? Thanks :)