Author Topic: Royal Interiors, Part II  (Read 175448 times)

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Interiors, Part II
« Reply #240 on: December 04, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »

I would love to see the pictures that have been removed, is there anyway that I can? Thanks :)

1. The person that posted them might have closed their photo hosting account or removed them.

2.  You might contact the person who posted them and inquire if they still have the photos and would they share them with you.

3.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:16:55 PM by Douglas »

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 08, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
It would be wonderful if a book was published showing the rooms then and now & how they have changed throughout the years & over the different reigns! The book could be similar to a jewel book but with glorious photos of the private rooms etc!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline RoyalWatcher

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 09, 2010, 10:23:49 PM »
Do I see there a photo of Diana on the table in the foreground in the room of Charles?

Perhaps, but it looks to be a very proactive photo. The only other person who I though it could be was Zara...only for a moment because there's no way she would send her uncle a provocative picture such as that!

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2010, 08:18:10 AM »
Palace of Holyroodhouse Floor Plans (c. 1950):

The Ground Floor:

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2010, 08:19:19 AM »

The First Floor:

Offline Nikola

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2010, 08:22:24 AM »

The Second Floor:

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »
Those photographs of the staircase at the north end of the hall raises a question - those pics, and the old floor plans of the house posted elsewhere here, clearly show that staircase is at the end of the Main Corridor (adjacent to the Dining Room on the ground floor and the Double Drawing Room on the first floor). 

But other posters here (some of whom have actually visited Clarence House in recent years) have mentioned that there is no staircase in the Main Corridor.  Does anyone know for sure if that staircase remains intact today, or was it removed sometime during the 20th century? 

Hi Chris, in the very interesting "Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother At Clarence House" by John Cornforth it mentions that the Queen Mother had the original staircase by Nash removed and replaced with the staircase we see today (in the long hall off the outer hall), which does look much more attractive actually, though I am a great believer in the preservation of orginal feaures!

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ajwatson82

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »

The Second Floor:

Thanks Nikol, the plans are great :). Would have plans of any other residences, like Windsor or BP ? I really would  love to see the plans.thanks again. :)

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2010, 07:47:19 AM »
Love the floor plans of Holyroodhouse!  Thanks so much for those, I've always wondered about that building.

I believe that today the royal family's s private apartments are on the second floor.  But I've also read that since 1646 (when Charles I appointed the Dukes of Hamilton as hereditary Keeper, one of the Great Offices in the Royal Household in Scotland), that the Keeper maintains private ducal apartments which are said to cover a larger area of the palace than the State Apartments. 

Does anyone know which floor / area is "Royal Apartments" and which are "Keeper's Apartments"?

Offline PAVLOV

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 20, 2010, 04:50:59 AM »
Some of these photographs must have been taken by Royal servants. How could the one of the breakfast room land up on this site in any other way. By the way, it looks better than it used to, but I cannot understand why they need that lamp so low over the table.   

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:23 AM »
If anyone is interested in the History of Clarence House then The Story of Clarence House by Marguerite D. Peacock is a must! It is only a small booklet but crammed full of pictures!

Also Marlborough Houseand It's Occupants; Present and Past by Arthur Beavan is interesting, but a bit dry in places! Published in 1896 & re-published last year. It contains some interesting information and a break down of all the rooms. In the preface he thanks the Prince of Wales and also Empress Frederick  "for her gracious assistance"

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 20, 2010, 08:38:22 AM »
Love the floor plans of Holyroodhouse!  Thanks so much for those, I've always wondered about that building.

I believe that today the royal family's s private apartments are on the second floor.  But I've also read that since 1646 (when Charles I appointed the Dukes of Hamilton as hereditary Keeper, one of the Great Offices in the Royal Household in Scotland), that the Keeper maintains private ducal apartments which are said to cover a larger area of the palace than the State Apartments. 

Does anyone know which floor / area is "Royal Apartments" and which are "Keeper's Apartments"?
The Dukes apartment was redecorated by the legendary John Fowler (of Colefax and Fowler).

Offline Royski

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2011, 02:32:37 AM »
Getting back to Clarence House, you were wondering about what was above the main entrance next to Charles' Private Sitting Room.  It is the end of the Main Corridor on the first floor.  There is not a room there.  I believe that that is where you can access the roof of the portico. There is a picture of it in John Cornforth's book.

I too would like to put in a request for the floor plans of St. James Palace to be shown again, if anyone has access to those.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2011, 03:46:42 AM »
Edward VII's bedroom at Sandringham. Note the picture of Princess Alice on the right!

« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 03:56:51 AM by Eddie_uk »

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 03, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
Alice was rumored to be his favourite sister.