Author Topic: 30 Day European Royality Challenge  (Read 30910 times)

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
30 Day European Royality Challenge
« on: July 20, 2013, 02:07:03 AM »
Okay, we've done Russia and Britain, now for the rest of Europe.  You can include any from modern times all the way back to the Roman Empire and beyond.  Here we go.

Day 1:  Royal that should have been locked up in a nuthouse.

Emperor Caligula of Rome.  The man thought he was a god, he made his horse a senator, he held mass orgies while he feasted.  Coo-coo, coo-coo!
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Day European Royality Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:16:39 AM »
Well done Tim! It was a great surprise to see this when I visited the forum just now. Needless to say, I'm hooked already!!

Day I: Nero (he seemed to have a "thing" about fire and apart from playing the fiddle while Rome burned he is reputed to have burned Christians to illuminate his midnight "garden parties"). Other candidates are King George III, Empress Carlotta (born Princess Charlotte of Belgium), Ludwig II of Bavaria and his brother Otto I, although the latter three may not qualify as they did end up in a nuthouse.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 10:26:25 AM »
Hi,

I'll say Juana la Loca "Joanna the Mad" of Castile (Spain)...  She is thought to have been 'off balance' most of her life but went crazy when her husband died.  She transported his coffin all over the country before being locked up in a castle for the rest of her life!!!
Technically, I suppose, she actually was "locked up in a nuthouse"....  She remained there for 57 years!!!

Joanna was the daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella and the mother of Emperor Charles V;  also sister of Catherine of Aragon....

Larry

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:28:11 AM »
Day 2:  Royal who had major military successes.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 03:25:06 AM »
Day 2: Charles/Karl XII of Sweden leading 600 men into battle against thousands of Russians and winning! However, like Bonaparte he ended up losing everything.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:12:29 AM »
Day 3:  Royal who's murder changed history.

Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife, Sophie, in 1914.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 06:18:57 AM »
Day 3: Agreed, Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife the Countess of Hohenberg in June, 1914 although I also wonder whether things would have turned out differently had Tsar Alexander II not been assassinated in 1881?

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »
Day 2:

Bonaparte was not really royal. He made himself royal on the basis of his military successes.

How about archduke Charles, brother of Emperor Francis, who was one of the very few commanders to defeat Napoleon in the field, at the Battle of Aspern-Eylau, in 1809? The tide was turned by the Archduke himself, when he seized a colour and personally led the Austrian reserve into the thick of the fighting.

Ann

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:04:23 AM »
Okay, we've done Russia and Britain, now for the rest of Europe.  You can include any from modern times all the way back to the Roman Empire and beyond.  Here we go.

Day 1:  Royal that should have been locked up in a nuthouse.

Emperor Caligula of Rome.  The man thought he was a god, he made his horse a senator, he held mass orgies while he feasted.  Coo-coo, coo-coo!

Well sure Tim, but didn't you make your cat a Grand Duchess? :-)

Day 1: I'll go with King Ludwig II, just so we have someone a bit more modern on the list.
Day 2: Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor.
Day 3: I'll go with Alexander II as well.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »

Yeah, but I'm not running an Empire that spans much of the (then) known world :)

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 10:15:28 AM »

Yeah, but I'm not running an Empire that spans much of the (then) known world :)

lol, and even if you were I doubt you'd have trouble recognizing your cat as simply a sweet pet, not as something to be worshiped and obeyed like Caligula's horse!
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline IvanVII

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:43 AM »
Day 1 Caligula

Day 2 I'll go with Julius Cesar

Day 3 Archduke Ferdinand (the spark to WWI, although I think by that point something/anything was ready to llight that fuse). AII definetly changed Russia, but not necessarily the world.

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 03:06:33 AM »
Day 4:  Royal with a very long reign.

Francis Joseph of Austria-Hungary, 1848 until his death in 1916 (his empire outlived him by only two years).

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 03:36:48 AM »
Day 4: Does Louis XIV (Le Roi Soleil) qualify? He was officially King of France from the death of his father in 1643 and thus reigned for a total of 72 years and 3 months. However, he was only four years old when his father died and the day-to-day management of the state was in the hands of Cardinal Mazarin. Louis XIV did not assume personal control until the latter's death in 1661.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 07:03:43 AM »
Louis XIV is usually counted as Europe's longest reigning monarch. Franz Josef is the longest reigning monarch who was adult at his accession.

Ann