Author Topic: Behavior/Manners/Temper  (Read 48549 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Temper and/or Violent?
« Reply #120 on: March 02, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »
It is kind of hard to say, isn't it? It could be many reasons why they pose this way in the photo. ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by romanov_fan »

amanduhh592

« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »
True. Or they could have just felt like it. lol  ::)

Offline Natasya

• I like Russia, history, and Russian history.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
I wish that I could find a book filled with photos, diary entries and other information. It's getting hard to find any.
A proof is a proof and when you have a good proof it's because it's prooven.
-Jean Chretien

Offline Maj. Jesse Cairns

• Aleksey stood taller than legends and men
    • View Profile
ALEXEI--His Manners and Behaviour
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
A Reply to Greg King after my spiel about Alexei :

Alexei probably was aware of some off-colour things, granted.  And I also agree that Anastasia probably knew some course jestings, for she was known for having a bevvy of anactdotes that were described as "shady."  But in fairness to her, I think that she [and Alexei if he ever used any] probably repented of such things in the last year of their lives as things grew darker.  And no doubt, Olga and Alexei were intuitively aware of more than some other members of OTMAA.    They were all much more seriously devoted to the Lord as things began to spiral downward.
What this means is that previously some of OTMAA may have been "professing" christians, but as things declined after March and April of 1917, and moving into 1918, I have FEW doubts that they got to be more SERIOUS about spiritual matters.   Read their correspondence.

--jesse
COMMENT for Greg King :  This thread is about Alexei's behavour and mannerisms, admittedly, but just a quick comment to you.   I have not yet read yours and Penny's book, but I did speed scan a section one day :  re : the final moments of their lives.    In all candour, that was the most graphic depiction I have ever read & I also assume that you and Penny consulted primary sources.   Point :  that depiction as it reads in your book has got to be the most detailed of renditions about 17 July 1918.   I still cannot get some of the images out of my mind.  GOD ALMIGHTY---it still brings tears to my eyes! :'(   :'(

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: His Manners and Behaviour
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2006, 10:32:34 AM »
Yes, the Romanovs were human, and Anastasia and Alexei most likely knew some of the things the last poster mentioned. After all, given their ages and personalities, it was natural that they would. One is not always a saint. The other Romanov children may have done this less, especially as they got older and more serious. Imprisonment, and and what was going on during the last stages of their lives could have dampened such high spirits, as well. But Anastasia and Alexei were young and full of high spirits, so naturally there were some swear words, not so perfect behaviour, etc, that is only human. ;)

• View Profile
His Manners and Behaviour
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2006, 01:59:28 PM »
Let me say that Imperial Angel was not far from being right on the mark, as they say.  The imperial children--especially the younger ones--were not always angels.
But let me also reiterate that when DIRE circumstances happen in a person's [or persons'] life/lives, the result can be equally dramatic.    

In this case  [the Nicholas  &  Alix Romanov children], I think there were palpable changes.   When I read the children's correspondance [or journal entires] of 1913 or 1914 and then compare them with those letters or diary entries of 1917 and 1918, it is almost like Day compared to Night, as it were.

DIGRESSION:
Anastasia and her emotional "twin"--Aleksey, were vastly changed emotionally, disposition-wise, and actions-wise.    Granted, they did not know ALL of the FACTS or Ramifications which Olga knew  [and prompted her initial  emotional distress of 1916 and her more deeply-seated emotional vout-face in 1917 and especially after Fall 1917 through 16 July 1918.  

Children can be murcurial and can be affected by their parents' dispositions . . . especially when things become rather bleak and foreboding.   As we all know, Alix was not readily a "sunny person"  [pun not intended], and I am sure that Alexei and Anastasia picked up on her "vibes."     Aleksey undoubtedly knew--by spring 1918 that they were going to be disposed of like rats in a garbage pail.   That is why he said,  "I am not afraid to die--I am simply afraid what they might do to us while we are here."

END OF DIGRESSION :
Back to my original point--I believe that OTMAA all got much more serious about being more than professing Christians after Spring of 1917.   Think I am joking?
Not at all, for I have come close to death on 2 occasions and have endured pain on the same level as Aleksey's.
You have NO idea!!

When things get REALLY dire, you drop ALL pretense and get down to Life's REAL business.   Why do you think Atheists have been known to say a strange thing like "Oh My God"  :o :o :o when War-time enemy bullets begin to whizz all-too-closely by their heads?

--jesse

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »
Given how much their life changed, I am sure they had to adjust themselves to this change. And I am sure it did change their chracters, for they were growing up,and tragedy overwhelms their family. Then, of course, there was bound to be some change to their chracters, in what they did and said, and thought. Something of what they were like before no doubt continued, but many things may have changed or did. It is hard to know the depth of it, but there is good reason to suppose they may not have been like they were before.

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2006, 12:29:12 PM »
Maybe I was communicating poorly, Imperial Angel  :)
All I meant was that I have VERY good cause to believe that whatever pettiness existed within OTMAA, probably fizzled to a very low level after 1916 or 1917.   In essence, they improved immensely.   Hardships like Aleksey and OTMA went through  [and also N & A] after 1917 can do one of TWO things to a person :  harden you or soften you.    Even as the same Sun can harden mud into clay, it can also simultaneously MELT wax [on a very warm day].   The same glaring sun can HARDEN or MELT objects--simultaneously.

The diary/journal entries/letters/correspondence by NAOTMAA reveal that they were SOFTENED and bloomed, as it were, into EVEN more lovable, kind and gentle individuals, than they had been previously.

I know of people, who--when faced with impending disaster and death--only got hard, cruel, mean, cursed God, and gave the world a naughty gesture, so to speak!

NAOTMAA did none of these.  They may have cried tears, been concerned---deeply concerned, been pensive and even were weak by worrying at times.   I don't think think that    NAOTMAA's professed faith in Christ was mere religious-ness.    

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by JesseCairns »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2006, 08:28:03 AM »
Yes, I think you are correct!

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 31, 2006, 08:56:40 PM »
I have a delightful story, or perhaps I should say that to me it is a delightful story, about Alexis during the time he was staying with his father, the Emperor, at General Headquarters during the war.  It goes like this:  

"Once when the Emperor was busy with a minister, the little Grand Duke burst into the room with some complaint.  His father reprimanded him, saying that when the Sovereign was occupied with State affairs a little boy had no business to interrupt in such an unceremonious manner.  A quarter of an hour later the Tzessarevitch reappeared, this time in full military uniform, had himself announced, and standing at attention before the Emperor said: 'I have the honor to report to Your Imperial Majesty that Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess Anastasia Nicolaevna has been naughty and has refused to play with me.'"  

The author continued to share other stories and said that many such droll anecodotes were related about the Alexis among the officials at General Headquarters and brought a feeling of good cheer among the War-weary Generals and Military staff.

I loved Greg King's remark, that as late as 1916 Gillard had to take time off, as it really shares what it took to raise Alexis.  That said, given the stories of other Romanoff children, the stories of Alexis' abusive behavior, including punching people in the nose, is really rather mild when compared with other adolecent Romanoff boys.  Good Heavens, there are the most hair-raising stories of the almost criminal brutality of Serge and Paul Alexandrovitch when they were little boys, and from the stories they appeared to be children with no conscience.  

While Alexis was perhaps fairly pugnatious and controlling his behavior was possibly a very taxing and full time job, the thing that seperates Alexis' occassional abusive behavior from other Romanoff boys, was that Alexis often regretted his actions.  

It must have been so difficult to strike the right balance with Alexis especially when his mother clearly did not want her boy to be handicapped by her shyness and his father did not want his son to handicapped by his uncertainty.  Not that I am trying to make excuses for bad behavior, but I just think that both parents must have rejoiced in their son's boisterous sense of fun, while curbing his disregard for others.  

Well I am certainly open for comments as I may not have any of this right at all as I have not read too many actual first hand accounts of Alexis.    

Princess_Olishka

« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2006, 01:30:30 AM »
That little story was delightful and cute! :D I love anecdotes of the IF! :)

Offline skitzo12

• umm yeah....
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2006, 03:47:13 AM »
this might seem weird to say but has anyone really considered the fact that he was just a kid
like poeple need to remeber that at 14 kids are still very niave.
its just poeple like to go that he was so mature but you still need to remeber that he died at my age

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2006, 09:23:31 AM »
Skitzo you made a very good point and I suppose that many of us may have forgotten what it was like to be 14.  Many of us were allowed to live private lives and though we were raised with many expectations, Alexis and his family lived public lives and everyone had a different set of expectations and they were either pleased or displeased if the Imperial family did or did not live up to their ideal.  To live under such constant scrutiny must have been very difficult.  

That is why your insight brings us back to a very basic point that is very important to remember.  Thanks

Offline skitzo12

• umm yeah....
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »
thanks
its just everyone seems to forget he was just a boy that probably did not know (at least entirely) was going on even in the last days of his life

p.s i actuall am not fourteen though i will be in just under  two week

extra added later:
 i thinki might have been hemophillic i would have massive nose bleeds from the slightes bump be in pain from slight bumps and get  massive swelling.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by skitzo12 »

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2006, 02:35:21 PM »
Thank you Skitzo for sharing your vital perspective and it is quite marvelous that you are not quite 14.  You must have a great love of Russian history and by the way many happy returns for your 14th birthday.  Many of the contributors to the fourm started to become interested in Russian History just about your age and it has become a life-time interest that only grows in intensity.  Between your youth and from what you have shared about your health challenges you must relate very closely to Alexis.  There is a thread about Alexis illness that you may want to contribute too.  Well once again thank you for sharing your perspective.