Author Topic: Queen Victoria's Children  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Maria Sisi

• Graf
    • View Profile
Queen Victoria's Children
« on: July 14, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Forgive me if there is already a thread on this but I didn't find one. I was playing around on youtube and I was lucky to find this in its entirety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ptvwj/episodes/guide

It's a three part BBC documentary on Queen Victoria and her relationship with her children. It showed her obsessive behavior concerning Albert and her difficulty after his death and its effects on her relationship with their children. It features interviews with historians including Charlotte Zeepvat.

I thought it was very interesting and while I knew the basics that were shown I didn't know the smaller details. I knew Victoria could be difficult but she came off a lot harsher then I would have imagined her. I always viewed her as very selfish but didn't think she was that cruel. I was already sympathetic to the children to start  with but after watching this I felt for them even more.

On other Royal forums the reaction to this seems to be rather mixed. Many people have said Victoria's behavior is exaggerated and she was nowhere near as bad as the documentary suggests while others said she was.

Has anyone else seen this and what did they think of it?

Offline TimM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Victoria's Children
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Looks interesting.  I'll have to take a look.
Cats: You just gotta love them!

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Victoria's Children
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
Yep, I watched this, it was good but nothing particularly "new". Well worth a watch though.
Member of the Richard III Society