Author Topic: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals  (Read 246549 times)

JBenjamin82

Re: Olga's official suitors, marriage prospects, and proposals
« Reply #240 on: August 17, 2007, 07:20:43 PM »
I've never read Olga's thoughts on the matter.  In a letter to Nicky dated 28 January 1916, Alix wrote that she was convinced that Olga would "never agree to marry him."  Alix went on to write that "other thoughts have filled the child's heart & head."  My guess is that Alix was referring to Olga's feelings for Mitya Shakh-Bagov.

dmitri

« Reply #241 on: August 17, 2007, 09:12:37 PM »
How very sad it is that the two possible candidates for marriage were turned down. Either Boris or Carol of Romania would have ensured Olga escaped the Ekaterinburg massacre. I wonder whether Alexandra would have ever accepted anybody as good enough for any of her daughters?

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2007, 09:51:44 PM »
Hi,

How well did Meichen know these Grand Duchesses?
Did she visit with them or have them to tea, since she detested Alexandra and was a rival of the Dowager Empress?
Would Boris have inherited the Throne if Alexis died, even if he married Olga?  Or would Michael or Cyril, as they were ahead of Boris, even though they married without the Czar's permission?

My opinion:  I think Meichen was just grabbing for straws, as she saw the coming turmoil and thought to usurp the Throne by any means......  She was ambitious and knowing Russia's past history - voila! - there's a Vladimirovichi ruling now!!

Larry

Bsquared

« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »
Grand Duke Boris and Carol of Roumania were horrible choices for Grand Duchess Olga.  They were both rightly turned down.

dmitri

« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2007, 05:54:31 AM »
I'm in agreement they might not have been the best husbands. They would have saved Olga though being murdered in Ekaterinburg. That would have had to have been a happier fate.

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2007, 09:25:08 PM »
How very sad it is that the two possible candidates for marriage were turned down. Either Boris or Carol of Romania would have ensured Olga escaped the Ekaterinburg massacre. I wonder whether Alexandra would have ever accepted anybody as good enough for any of her daughters?

I think Alexandra did find a few people she thought were good enough for at least Olga. She would have had Olga marry Prince Carol, had Olga not refused. Didn't Alexandra also see Dmitri Pavlovich as a possible match until she found out he was involved in Rasputin's murder?

mr_harrison75

« Reply #246 on: August 20, 2007, 06:33:52 PM »
Alexandra refused Boris's proposition of marriage to Olga for 2 reasons:

1- Because she felt that Olga would be unhappy with him. (She said: An inexperienced girl would suffer terribly to have her husband 4-5th hand, or more!)

2- Because she hated his mother, Mariya Pavlovna.

(Ref. Nicholas and Alexandra, page 391)

As for Dmitri Pavlovich, it is true that he was the darling of both the Tsar and Tsarina, and Olga wasn't objecting to the idea of marrying him, but it all changed with his participation to Rasputin's murder.

As for Carol of Rumania, Olga was implacably opposed to the idea. She said to Gilliard: "I don't want it to happen. Papa has promised not to make me, and I don't want to leave Russia. I am a Russian and I mean to remain a Russian."

(Ref. Nicholas and Alexandra, pages 251-252)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:35:47 PM by mr_harrison75 »

dmitri

« Reply #247 on: August 20, 2007, 09:22:15 PM »
Well it is a shame she never married abroad as it would have saved her life.

loulia

« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2007, 11:13:36 AM »
I can understand Alix's point of view as a mother but what I ignore is how did Olga react? He was an handsome man leaving in Russia and who could have been the next heir, it could have interested her? I have no idea of her owns feelings about it.

dmitri

« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2007, 12:08:48 PM »
Boris was a long way from being heir. Alexis was the heir after Nicholas II and then Grand Duke Michael and then Grand Duke Cyril. Olga herself was not an heir unless Nicholas II chose to rescind the Pauline Law of Succession.

Janet_W.

« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2007, 12:46:59 PM »
Based on what I've read, I don't think Olga cared two jots for Boris--at least romantically--and doubt she would have cared even if he'd stood to inherit the wealth of, say, a Felix Yussovpov.

Review the men Olga was attracted to and you'll note they were not especially wealthy. But they do appear to have been men of character. I don't think it was the discrepency in age that would have bothered Olga re: Boris, nor the gradual atrophy of his former good looks that was in process even just before the war. But he did have an exceptionally shady history--even for a grand duke--and his accomplishments were far more dubious than celebrated. Add to the mix a potential mother-in-law who could match Alexandra (and then some) in manipulation. Not to mention a couple of brother-in-laws with their own ethical baggage as well.

Olga wasn't typically sweet and amiable like her sister Marie, nor did she toe the "political correctness" line as did her sister Tatiana. And since I am non-Orthodox, I do not regard her as a saint. But it appears she did have considerable strength of character, especially when it came to determining her life via the royal marriage market. My guess is had the revolution not occurred Olga ultimately would have accepted betrothal to a prince within Russia--or very close to Russia--whose moral character was a close if not absolute match to hers. (That eliminates Prince Carol, and Grand Duke Dmitri as well, unless his direction had reversed itself.) And if Olga and her family had somehow survived the Revolution as exiles, I think she would have followed the lead of her Aunt Olga and married according to her heart.

dmitri

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
well sadly there was no chance of her escaping the revolution staying at Tsarskoe Selo

rosieposie

« Reply #252 on: August 22, 2007, 04:43:07 AM »
Just curious is there a photo of this Boris? Thanks.

loulia

« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
you can find some pictures of boris in the " imperial family" in the subjects "miechen and vladimirovitchi"

loulia

« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2007, 01:55:44 PM »
I think Boris was not that from being the heir as the next after Nicolai was Alexei who was terribly ill then Mikhail, who was not a possible heir anymore as he got married with Natasha Wulfert, then Kyrill who was not able anymore also because he married Victoria Melita, so Boris was pretty close of the throne