Author Topic: Why are so many of the bones still missing?  (Read 4075 times)

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
Why are so many of the bones still missing?
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
Hi everyone! This has been my first post in a reeeeaaallllllyyyyy long while (three years actually!) so greetings to you all.

Back to the subject. I feel this topic has been overlooked by many investigators since not one of them have managed to come up with a feasible explanation as to why so few bones were found in the 1991 and 2007 graves. Around 2,500 bones should have been found in 1991 yet less than half of that was recovered. In 2007, 44 measly fragments were what was left of Alexei and AnaMaria - 44 bones for two human beings. I don't entirely buy the story of most of the remains found in 2007 being destroyed by the fire. Tests showed that most of the two bodies would have been intact, if not, recognizable. In addition, why were so few teeth found in 2007 even though teeth are supposedly indestructible?   

Ultimately, what I am trying to ask is  what could have happened to the missing 1,000+ bones? The only logical explanation I can think of is them being destroyed by the sulfuric acid over time, but since I am not an expert on body decomposition this question has me stumped.

Any suggestions?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Why are so many of the bones still missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »
The wet conditions, combined with the freeze/thaw cycle of the weather in Ekaterinburg will lead to rapid decomposition of the bones.  The acidic nature of the soil there contributes as well.

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:15:15 PM »
Thank you for the clarification!

I think the acid was a huge factor in terms of their decay. I read in FOTR that a medical expert said the bones would have been in much better condition had there not been acid since the soil they were buried in was clay (I think!).

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 05:00:53 PM »
Not to be gruesome, but...

As for the two sets of remains found in 2007 at the site of the fire not far from the original burial, some of the investigators and discoverers have suggested that the two bodies were dismembered and the parts burned separately in different fires. That would account for the paucity of bones found in 2007 (and the relatively small size of the fire pit itself).

It also demonstrates why it is so important to preserve the meadow in its present state -- there may very well be much more out there awaiting discovery. Look at all the ceramic shards and wooden crate pieces which they later found from the acid that was used.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:04:44 PM by Inok Nikolai »
инок Николай

Offline Romafan96

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 05:11:24 PM »
Inok, that's very interesting. The theory that two separate fires were used to burn the two bodies makes sense. I'm not sure how big the fire was but I imagine it would need to be fairly large to burn two corpses. I understand acid may have played a role in the destruction of the bones but the grave in 1991 offered much more by way of remains. Burning may have exacerbated the rate of decomposition in the 2007 remains; however, burning would have only charred the top layer of the skin. The bones and most of the tissues would have still been intact. Some 450 bones have never been found.

Only God knows what happened to the rest of those remains. Your idea that the Pig's Meadow may have more "secrets" is very plausible.