Author Topic: Travel to Russia  - Exeter International  (Read 194403 times)

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Travel to Russia  - Exeter International
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2009, 09:42:24 PM »
I'm most likely going to study at Petrozavodsk this summer and will be spending a week touring St. Petersburg and Moscow and other towns and I was wondering how does one go about visiting the Alexander Palace? We're planning on visiting Pushkin and some of the palaces but in order to go in do you have to do anything special? Such as make an arrangement beforehand?
Holly, you don't need to make special arrangements to visit the Alexander Palace.  It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Catherine Palace. Are you using the services of a guide?  If so, you can communicate your wish to visit through the guide. 

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »
I'm most likely going to study at Petrozavodsk this summer and will be spending a week touring St. Petersburg and Moscow and other towns and I was wondering how does one go about visiting the Alexander Palace? We're planning on visiting Pushkin and some of the palaces but in order to go in do you have to do anything special? Such as make an arrangement beforehand?
Holly, you don't need to make special arrangements to visit the Alexander Palace.  It's about a 5-10 minute walk from the Catherine Palace. Are you using the services of a guide?  If so, you can communicate your wish to visit through the guide. 

Ah... I see. I thought so but I wasn't completely certain. My guide will be my Russian studies professor and he told us we would be visiting the Winter Palace and the Catherine Palace and everything so of course I asked him about the Alexander Palace as well. Thank you!
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:57 PM »

Ah... I see. I thought so but I wasn't completely certain. My guide will be my Russian studies professor and he told us we would be visiting the Winter Palace and the Catherine Palace and everything so of course I asked him about the Alexander Palace as well. Thank you!
I hope you are able to convince your professor.  IMHO the Alexander Palace is the more historical of the palaces in Pushkin, and it won't be too much out of your way to visit.  The museum alone could be done in under twenty minutes (although I hung around for what felt like a lifetime!!)

Offline Sharon Chicago

• Faberge Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:42 AM »
Post 1922 Eurohistory.... My previous boss (CIO-for the largest airplane manufacturer) had been to
Russia 17 times and said he would never take a Russian plane how scary his one flight was...rattle rattle clang clang.

Sounds like they are in dire need to update their airplanes/to buy new ones.
Life is a banquet! Enjoy it! (from Auntie Mame)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2010, 01:13:50 PM »
Post 1922 Eurohistory.... My previous boss (CIO-for the largest airplane manufacturer) had been to
Russia 17 times and said he would never take a Russian plane how scary his one flight was...rattle rattle clang clang.

Sounds like they are in dire need to update their airplanes/to buy new ones.

russian aeronautics has long been a serious problem. During the cold war, I recall the discovery of a russian military jet wreckage that showed the fuselage to have been made of materials totally inappropriate for flight. Whether it be planes, trains or automobiles, "russian made" is no credibility.
HerrKaiser

Offline Sharon Chicago

• Faberge Egg
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
Reply 109 ..... About 5 years ago I attended the Blue Angels show in Chicago and met Russia's two Cosmonauts I have a photo somewhere forgot there names...:o(
Life is a banquet! Enjoy it! (from Auntie Mame)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »
Does anyone know if traveling by van from Helsinki to Petrozavodsk is relatively safe? I'm kind of anxious about this idea.
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
Apparently this is a budget-based school trip.  What is the track record of such short study/excursions specifically to Russia with your school in Oklahoma in regards to your being "anxious"?   AP
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:06:33 PM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Ena

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2010, 10:50:31 PM »
Does anyone know if traveling by van from Helsinki to Petrozavodsk is relatively safe? I'm kind of anxious about this idea.
I once took an overnight bus from Tallinn to St. Petersburg.  The only problem I had was trying to get enough sleep.  The overheated bus, mixed with the excitement of finally going to Russia, made it difficult to get enough rest.  You should be perfectly fine.  Border control might take awhile, but that should be the extent of it.  Russian immigration is quite thorough! I remember feeling so intimidated until they stamped my passport and sent me on my way. It taught me that appearances aren't always what they seem.   

Holly, how long does this program run, and does it have any past participants you could communicate with? That way, you can get a better idea of what to expect.  This should alleviate some of the anxiety you're having.  Trust me, you're going to look back on this experience wondering what all the fuss was about. :-)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2010, 12:31:32 PM »
I think Ena is correct. Holly.  You should have  few, if any problems.  Although my Russia bus experience is limited  [St.Petersburg/Novgorod] My Russian friends take  the bus to Helsinki for  shopping  regularly. immigration/customs can seem intimidating, they are generally nice folk and just doing their job. Having just returned from the UK , the security arrangements are  fairly  strict.  So just be prepared to wait your turn.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »
Hi,

Russian customs and security personnel can be rather severe looking but I have found it is not aginst you that their frowns are directed, but their superiors and the long working hours they endure.
I usually smile and say "Good Morning" or whatever and have had 2 lady customs people smile back at me.  I have been to Russia 7 times now and 2 out of 7 ain't bad!!!

Larry

aleksandr pavlovich

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2010, 06:47:54 AM »
Having also been to Russia several times, Larry, I agree with you in regards to the customs process.  I have never travelled as part of an organized group and I have never had any difficulty.  They do not engage in "small talk." They typically are silent, examine your documents carefully and pass you through.     Regards,  AP
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 07:01:06 AM by aleksandr pavlovich »

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2010, 08:07:37 AM »
I suppose you mean a private/rented van? Such a travel should be reasonably safe, although it would be even safer if you travel in a group of at least three-four. The shortest way to Petrozavodsk is via Niirala/Vyartsilya border cross. You may choose to spend a night on the Finnish side (e.g. in Joensuu, 110 km to the border), then early in the morning drive to the border, cross it and wait on the Russian side for some Russian or Finnish bus or other reliably-looking vehicle going to Petrozavodsk - to use it as your leader all the way that takes about 4 hours, +- .

Offline Jessamy

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »
If you go to the Trip Advisor site and search for St. Petersburg there is a wealth of travel information including hotel and restaurant reviews, all the top sites to see, maps, directions, tips, information on where to exchange money, as well as their own forum which has expert advice. There are hundreds of photos. It's a wonderful place to research a trip to St. Petersburg!   

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »
Apparently this is a budget-based school trip.  What is the track record of such short study/excursions specifically to Russia with your school in Oklahoma in regards to your being "anxious"?   AP

Thanks for the replies.

It's not for budget reasons, the only money my university is paying is to the Russian university and I'm paying the rest. I'm spending the entire summer in Russia, so that's about 3 months. I'm going with a group of about eleven people. I wasn't anxious because of any "track record". I'm simply nervous about how safe it would be to travel by van into Russia since I've heard some stories...