Author Topic: King George II & Queen Elizabeth (nee Romania)  (Read 208128 times)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: King Georg II & Queen Elisabeth
« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2007, 01:23:31 PM »
Yes the Greek Royal Family definitely had two magnificent sapphire sautoir necklaces  :o - one a large square and one a large egg shaped one that had more than one sapphire in it, both on amazing diamond necklaces. Both were amazing pieces, but I prefer Elisabeth's it is truly gorgeous and so timeless in fashion. Both are no longer owned by the Gr. R. Family unfortunately I think it is safe to say.  :(

http://www.royal-magazin.de/griechenland/greece-sapphires-necklace.htm

Does anyone have any more information about Q. Elisabeth's pregnancy?
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2007, 04:46:44 PM »
According to an interview in the Times of London, the miscarriage happened in the 2nd year of George's reign.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »
Yes...sadly the satoir is gone from the family. I think Elisabetta also lost a large amount of jewels. When she went into exile, she was only allowed 10 items of jewelry (much she had to leave behind...including a tiara supositely came from her grandmother Marie Coburg and even her own portrait by De Laszlo)... :(

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2007, 01:05:46 AM »
Do you mean Eric, when she went into exile from Romania where she went after the divorce?

That's very sad she had to leave behind those treasures. She must of had many treasures, to not count a tiara from Marie Coburg in the top ten.

And then did she go from Romania to France?

GDE, do you have a copy of this interview? Does it say how far along the miscarriage occured? The second year of George's reign - was that 1923? I think he was deposed that year, must of been very stressful for them and perhaps that provoked the miscarriage?  ???

Does anyone know what Elisabeth's place in France - Villa Rose Alba was like?
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2007, 03:35:35 AM »
No...I think she was kicked out of Romania by the Reds (I believe). Even though she was promised that she could take ALL her belongings into exile. She was stopped on the border and the bulk of her jewels (she was allowed only 10 items) and belongings were confescated there and then. Somone told me years later people saw Elisabetta's jewels and her De Laszlo portrait inside the house of the Romanian Dictator. Nobody knows where the stuff is now... :(

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2007, 07:19:55 AM »
Mmm, Terrible and Tragic! If anybody locates those items I think they should be returned to her nephew King Michael, and the Greek Jewels should be given to the Greek King!

Can anyone answer the other questions I asked earlier?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2007, 03:04:36 PM »
Miscarriage  .. if the sex was known, it was not made public ... Elisabeth did not take care of herself  - and she was a rather difficult woman.  It is well known that she was a nymphomaniac, and she did all she could to undermine her own family.  Her marriage was doomed to failure, as she and George had nothing in common.  George would have been better off marrying his cousin Zia (they remained good friends), but Elisabeth was a female dog ... this is an understatement.  When she returned to Romania to live, she obtained great wealth - her lover was also her banker - convenient.  Neither Michael nor Helen trusted her.  She allowed her home to be used by Greek communists planning the overthrow of the Greek monarchy.  She colloborated with the communists.  They assured her that she would be able to stay and keep her wealth ... of course, that was not going to happen, and she and Ileana (the red princesses) were tossed out of the country with the bare minimum, after Michael's discomfiture.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 01:42:56 AM by Svetabel »
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2007, 07:43:47 PM »
Yes. But reading John Wimbles's articles on RD, one get to know the young and more naive Elisabetta. She told the love sick Prince George of Greece many times she will not make a good wife, but still he persued her (in a way he got what he bargined for in the end). After she married George, the family did not welcome her into the family. They talked Greek when she was around and Sophie gave no jewels to her. She did tried her to be good once, but gave up after nobody seemed to give her a chance.  :(

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2007, 09:53:29 AM »
Mmm, Queen Elisabeth may have done many bad things, but Eric's comments and information that he last wrote give a different perspective. It is easy to see why she may have given up trying to be good, if her natural instincts were to be a nymphomaniac and devious, and she was excluded by Queen Sophie and others. I must object to her being called ''a female dog'' or worse, that is really not right. There is much more to this Queen than can be summarised in a paragraph, that is clearly for sure. I would love to read more about her, hopefully written by someone who isn't really biased. It is a tragic love story really that George loved her so much, but she warned him, and still he married her, so Elisabeth can't be blamed for the marriage. It seems that Elisabeth ended up with a huge amount of stunning jewels, even if she never got any directly from Sophie. Things might have been different if she had had a surviving child. Her family's attitude could have been different to her, and she might have become more moral and compassionate, that sometimes happens. At least she got to keep her Top ten pieces of jewellery - I wouldn't call that the bare minimum. But still she had some of her treasures taken from her, and that is fair punishment for collaborating with the communists.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:56:55 AM by basilforever »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2007, 11:24:18 AM »
It would be improper to use the b words.  She once said that the only thing she had not done in life was kill someone.  She was a rather nasty person, vindictive and narcisstic.  George did not love her.  It was a marriage largely encouraged by her mother.  Elisabeth did not get a long with most people.  George was in love with his cousin, Zia de Torby, and he wanted to marry her but Sophie did not consider Zia to be good enough.  (She certainly had a good head on her shoulders.)  George and Eisabeth's marriage was reported as going to happen even before world war I ended.

When she got back to Romania, all she did was feather her own nest at the expense of others, even allowing her own home to be used by Greek communists who plotted to overthrow her former husband's monarchy. 

George had his own lady friends, and had a long term relationship with a woman named Joyce Brown.

She didn't care about anyone except herself -- she had fragile relationships with her siblings and their families.  In exile, she had no real contact with any of her family.  She had a toyboy lover, Marc Favrat, and she tried to have the head of the house of Hohenzollern make Marc a prince.  Didn't work.

Of course, she had a mother whose motherly skills were lacking (and the elder kids were largely raised by others).  Long term therapy may have helped.  john Wilmbles's series is excellent ..  but she certainly does not come across smelling like a rose in the series.

In the end, she was a very lonely woman without family or true friends

Mmm, Queen Elisabeth may have done many bad things, but Eric's comments and information that he last wrote give a different perspective. It is easy to see why she may have given up trying to be good, if her natural instincts were to be a nymphomaniac and devious, and she was excluded by Queen Sophie and others. I must object to her being called ''a female dog'' or worse, that is really not right. There is much more to this Queen than can be summarised in a paragraph, that is clearly for sure. I would love to read more about her, hopefully written by someone who isn't really biased. It is a tragic love story really that George loved her so much, but she warned him, and still he married her, so Elisabeth can't be blamed for the marriage. It seems that Elisabeth ended up with a huge amount of stunning jewels, even if she never got any directly from Sophie. Things might have been different if she had had a surviving child. Her family's attitude could have been different to her, and she might have become more moral and compassionate, that sometimes happens. At least she got to keep her Top ten pieces of jewellery - I wouldn't call that the bare minimum. But still she had some of her treasures taken from her, and that is fair punishment for collaborating with the communists.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2007, 11:33:56 AM »
I feel it is impromper to use such strong hateful language against Queen Elisabeth. She is long since dead, I think some, not a lot, but some respect should be shown and she should be able to rest in peace.

I'm sure there is another side to all this. She obviously was no saint, and made a lot of mistakes, but if you look at pictures of her when she was very young, she had such a beautiful and pure face, it's hard for me to believe she was all bad.

George must of loved her a bit to begin with or he would have refused to marry her. If all this is true what you say about her lack of friends and family at the end, and her alienation from them all, then she should be greatly pitied I think. I feel really sorry for her.  :'(

Where is she buried? Not at Tatoi I gather.

Offline lori_c

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »
I feel it is impromper to use such strong hateful language against Queen Elisabeth. She is long since dead, I think some, not a lot, but some respect should be shown and she should be able to rest in peace.

Does her personality compare with Mignon's at all?  I always had the impression that Elizabeth was perhaps a bit spoiled which may have accounted for her rather distasteful persona, but was Mignon the same? And if so, can anybody tell me how each sisters marriage was affected by this?

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2007, 01:42:39 PM »
Royals didn't marry for love.  This was an arranged marriage.  They barely knew each other.  I am sure she's resting in peace, a we are all forgiven by God.  The marriage ended in divorce in 1935, so she ceased to be a queen, even in exile.   We are all saints, actually.

True beauty is not external.  Focusing on the external beauty is rather shallow ... inside, she had little beauty ... she was not interested in charity, all she wanted was to be rich, very rich.  She didn't care who she hurt.  She betrayed and stabbed people in back.  Her own family could not trust her.  In the late 1930s, she was back in Romania, living the high life, with her banker as her main lover.  (He certainly helped Elisabetha fatten that bank account - which she lost in the end when she had to leave Romania.  It is not commendable that she got out with a few pieces of jewelery ... I would not be surprised if she had to sell those jewels because she had no income of her own. 

After her divorce, there were rumors that she was going to marry Scaviani

Her external beauty faded quickly.  Her mother would chastize her about not taking care with her appearance.

She underwent an operation after the miscarriage.  Most likely, it was a gynecological operation ..

I'm sure there is another side to all this. She obviously was no saint, and made a lot of mistakes, but if you look at pictures of her when she was very young, she had such a beautiful and pure face, it's hard for me to believe she was all bad.

George must of loved her a bit to begin with or he would have refused to marry her. If all this is true what you say about her lack of friends and family at the end, and her alienation from them all, then she should be greatly pitied I think. I feel really sorry for her.  :'(

Where is she buried? Not at Tatoi I gather.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2007, 01:46:21 PM »
Mignon's marriage was arranged as well, and she was not the most fashionable person.  Princess Paul was chic, and well-connected.  Mignon was frumpy.  She and Alexander had various marital problems, and she did not accompany him to France in 1934.  When Peter went into exile, so did Marie - and she lived in England.  She did not have good relations with her sons.  She loathed Alexandra.  She adopted mannish dress and lived with another woman in the final years of her life.

Does her personality compare with Mignon's at all?  I always had the impression that Elizabeth was perhaps a bit spoiled which may have accounted for her rather distasteful persona, but was Mignon the same? And if so, can anybody tell me how each sisters marriage was affected by this?

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2007, 01:58:18 PM »
what a life!