Author Topic: Alexander III  (Read 132229 times)

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: First love of Alexander III
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2005, 05:25:39 PM »
  :o  I just found a small photo of Maria on this Russian website which tells the story of her romance with Alexander   ;D:
http://www.peoples.ru/love/alexander-mariya/
Wasn’t she beautiful?! No wonder he fell in love with her!!

Daniel Briere

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2005, 06:06:31 PM »
Thank you very much. That was great info :).
From what i can see she was beautiful.
Yes, it makes you wonder why MF took the first name that she did, if she knew about the other Maria.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2005, 01:03:28 AM »
I very much doubt that Dagmar knew very much about Maria M. Things were much different in the 19th century. She may indeed have found out about her once she was married, but possibly not. At any rate, Dagmar's regnal name likely had nothing whatsoever to do with Maria M.

There's also no truth to what was said about Dagmar "choosing" one of Nixa's brothers. The story goes that Nixa himself asked on his deathbed that the two marry - Sasha and Dagmar - which they did some time later.

Dagmar's family gave her time to grieve Nixa and there is no doubt the two families wanted a Sasha - Dagmar wedding. However, there was never a possibility of Sasha marrying Maria M - even before Nixa's death. The Fundamental Law of the Russian Empire required an equal marriage, and Maria M. was part of the aristocracy, not a member of a ruling house. The part about Sasha considering renouncing his rights is considered to be true.

Very sad about Maria's ultimate fate.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2005, 11:49:26 AM »
Maria's photo, 1865:

... and her pencil drawing:

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2005, 12:40:54 PM »
Thank you for posting the photo and drawing of Maria.
Its nice to see a big clear picture of her :).

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2005, 01:29:45 PM »
Wow! What a dramatic turn of events! I feel so bad for Maria and Alexander  :-[ .. I can only imagine the pain he went through trying to give up someone you truly love. I also feel sorry for Dagmar(Maria) since she knew that she was un-wanted as a bride, wether it be before the wedding or not.

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander III
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2005, 11:53:35 AM »
Is it true that he could bend pokers etc, with his bare hands? He was supposed to be remarkably strong,  but one wonders if accounts have been exaggerated. ::)

Also, is it true (perhaps this is less likely?) that his brother Nixa told Alexander and Dagmar to marry, when he was on his deathbed?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2005, 12:56:19 AM »
Yes, Nixa asked Alexandr to marry Dagmar after the days when they ( Alexandr and Dagmar) everyday spent together near his bed.

I have found the explanation  by one correspondent of an English newpaper of  a day in the life  of Alexandr III in one book : " The everyday habits of the tsar are hardly appropriate for a man of the world; his pastimes are more fit for a prisoner than for a monarch. He gets up at 7 a.m. , goes out for a walk in the strictly garded  park, returns for breakfast and occupies himself with varied manual labour, as a preparation for the official occupations of the day. The latter consist chiefly in the reading and signing of enormous piles of edicts, drafts of laws, orders and reports. After lunch the tsar rests, goes in the park for a walk works or sometimes listens to the reading of the news ... A family dinner of four dishes is served at 8 o'clock. After dinner the tsar drinks shi tea in the empress's apartments where he always appears clad in a simple cotton blouse with a lether belt..."

David_Pritchard

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2005, 03:06:04 AM »
I too have read of the Herculean strength of Alexander III. It is the tale of him being able to bend a silver ruble coin in his hand that is really astounding. One would have to exert a very large number of kilos per square centimeter to make it bend. The emperor must have had an amazing grip to do this.

There have been many tales of Peter the Great and pokers also, not bending them but inserting them into his enemies after being heated in coals. This is the way that his son Grand Duke Alexis Petrovich died in 1718.

DAP

Offline Lass

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2005, 03:25:08 AM »
Okay, they're not just legends then. :D

There have been many tales of Peter the Great and pokers also, not bending them but inserting them into his enemies after being heated in coals. This is the way that his son Grand Duke Alexis Petrovich died in 1718.

Nasty, eh?! :o

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2005, 11:47:19 AM »
This is the way that his son Grand Duke Alexis Petrovich died in 1718.

Didn't he die in his cell from some illness or the horrific conditions of prison life?

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2005, 11:54:07 AM »
He died after or during the interrogation.
Everybody want to know the details , but nobody know.
Peter ordered this interrogation.

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »
Peter ordered Alexis's torture... what is unclear is if he died only due to the wounds he received during tortures commited by his father's agents or, as some historians have pointed out without real proof, he died by his father's own hands.

We will probably never know...
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2005, 06:46:46 PM »
Ruins of chapel at Borki:

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2005, 09:54:36 PM »
I know Alexander III was faithful as his son Nicholas II was, But I would like to know more about Alexander's affair with Marie Elimovna Mestchersky. How Long did it last? Where did they meet? Did he have plans to marry her before he married MF?