Author Topic: Rasputin's Funeral and Burial  (Read 29626 times)

Offline nigbil

• View Profile
Rasputin's Funeral and Burial
« on: February 07, 2005, 10:32:27 AM »
[img/http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/nigbil/Alexpalace5.jpg/img]  

Could this be where Rasputin was secretly buried on the orders of the Empress on the night of Thursday Jan 4th 1917. Its about 200 metres from the Alexander Palace?                                                    

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Rasputin; where was he buried?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 11:15:26 AM »
Thanks, nigbil! Do you have any larger photos by any chance? :)

Offline nigbil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 11:30:24 AM »
No, but I can send some pics to you as email attachments which will be easier to see.........

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2005, 05:54:08 PM »
The photograph I see is of the White Tower.   It was built during the reign of Nicholas I to the design of the Scottish architect Adam Menelaws.   It reflected Nicholas' interest in the medieval knights.

During the reign of the first Nicholas jousting contests took place in the area around the White Tower.   The exterior was repaired and repainted in the late 1990s.  

In the famous painting 'Tsarskoe Selski Carousel' by Horace Vernet, who executed it to mark the Silver Wedding Anniversary of Nicholas I to Alexandra Feodorovna, it is possible to see the family, dressed in the style of the medieval knights with their ladies, returning from a tournament at the White Tower to the Alexander Palace.   The White Tower can be seen in the background.

tsaria

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2005, 09:36:02 PM »
No, but I can send some pics to you as email attachments which will be easier to see.........

Ok, thanks! My email address is listed  :)

ferngully

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 02:27:05 AM »
was he buried there then? all that i know is that he was shot down
selina        xxxxxxxxx

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »
This was discussed elsewhere, but I can't find the thread just now.  Rasputin was buried, and it wasn't much of a secret really, under a new church Anna Vyroubova was building behind the Feodorovsky Cathedral.  It was never finished due to the Revolution. I've seen pictures from the time, it was really just a foundation and partial walls and some roof framing.

During the Revolution, Kerensky ordered the body dug up, and transported secretly to Petersburg.  A crowd discovered who the body was on the truck when it broke down, and the soldiers took the body and burned it completely scattering the ashes and remains in the forest.  We know only an approximate location where this happened.

Offline Phil_tomaselli

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 10:51:30 PM »
Purely as a matter of interest, as I have no knowledge of the book's veracity or otherwise, at some point in the 1930's a chap named Dorian Blair (Pseudonym??) published a book "Russian Hazard" in which, amongst other things, he claimed to have been responsible for burning Rasputin's body.

Blair claimed to be an Anglo-Russian (I believe) who served in the Imperial Flying Corps.  He claims to have known Rasputin who told him he'd dreamt that he'd seen Blair washing his hands over his (Rasputin's) corpse.  After R's murder Blair claims that Kerensky(?) sent him to dig up the body and bring it back to Petrograd.  His party was disturbed by angry peasants, took refuge in a barn and then Blair poured petrol over the corpse and set fire to it.  As he was wiping the petrol from his hands he remembered Rasputin's vision....

Blair claims to have later worked in the Red Army transport department as a White agent & saboteur & to have later escaped to England.  No idea if it's true but there are a couple of photos in the book which appear to back up parts of it.

Phil Tomaselli

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 11:32:54 AM »
Phil
Just another post Revolution fairy tale, based on some reality. We have the records of the men who were involved. No one from any "flying corps" was involved, and no one with that name nor even an Anglo/Russian person is there.  It was nine men, six of them students from the Petrograd Polytechincal Institute.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »
What were their names?

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »
Kolotsiev and Kuptchinski, from the Polytechnic: Bogatchev, Moklovich, Chabaline, plus three unidentified others. and my bad math, that is 8 not nine...
Sorry.
:o

Anastasia_R

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 04:43:52 PM »
That church that Anya V. was building,is it still up?Probably,I'd like to go there sometime.......

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 04:56:05 PM »
Nothing remains on the spot where the church was being built. the precise spot is not even exactly known, just the general area

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »
Forum Administrator, or anyone else:  Do you have any of the photos of the foundation of Vyrobova's hospital that you can post?

Offline LadyAthina

• Mmmm... chocolate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2005, 05:37:13 PM »
Sorry, don't know where else to ask this but who is this Blair guy? This isn't the first time I've heard his name popping up on different topics in this forum... I think I also read about it in some discussion about the assassinations of the royals. And there as well he was dismissed as a myth or fairy tale.

Were there ever any Anglo-Russian men involved in any of the verifiable stories?  ???