Author Topic: Princess Anne, born Bowes-Lyon  (Read 18809 times)

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Princess Anne, born Bowes-Lyon
« on: February 15, 2005, 12:02:58 PM »
Does anyone by chance know how Princess Anne was related to the Queen Mother of GB? She married Prince Georg of Denmark in 1950, who kept his prince-title eventhough he didnt marry royalty. He was son of Prince Axel, and grandson of Prince Valdemar of Denmark.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
Re: Princess Anne, born Bowes-Lyon
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 01:28:25 PM »
Does anyone by chance know how Princess Anne was related to the Queen Mother of GB? She married Prince Georg of Denmark in 1950, who kept his prince-title eventhough he didnt marry royalty. He was son of Prince Axel, and grandson of Prince Valdemar of Denmark.

Yes, Anne was the queen mother's niece.  Her first marriage ended in divorce (and she is the mother of the present earl of Lichfield)
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline PrinceEddy1864

• Knyaz
  • lovely louise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 01:33:09 PM »
She was the daughter of the Queen Mother's older brother John Herbert Bowes-Lyon.
from the top of the ocean to the bottom of the sky.
albert victor christian edward.

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »
Princess Anne in 1961

Offline Danjel

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Royal Splendour
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
and at the end of the seventies during a statevisit from Queen Margarethe, Prince Henrik, Prss Anne and her husband to the Netherlands

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2005, 03:08:27 PM »
Thanks for all the info, and for the pictures :).
A niece, that is quit close..
I wonder if they met via the british royal family, and how?
And if Prince Georg didnt become Count of Rosenborg because of Annes relations to the british royal family. I think he was the only prince that remained a prince after marrying a commoner( exept of cource Queen Margrethes two sons..the modern age!).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by kmerov »

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2005, 04:09:23 PM »

And if Prince Georg didnt become Count of Rosenborg because of Annes relations to the british royal family. I think he was the only prince that remained a prince after marrying a commoner( exept of cource Queen Margrethes two sons..the modern age!).
[/quote]

Well, Anne's father was the younger son of an earl - a very ancient and historic Scots family, and Anne's aunt was the Queen Consort.

Margrethe also married a commoner - her husband is not a real count.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 04:43:14 PM »
Yes i just wondered since Prince Georg uncle, Prince Aage (i think it was him) also married nobility, wasnt his wife an italian countess?
I didnt know that Prince Henrik wasnt a real count. His title prior to the marriage was Henri, Count de laborde de Monpezat. And he did marry the heir to the throne, while Georg was a third generation Prince..
And also Anne being divorced as i saw in your reply.
But im no expert ;D.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 07:06:27 PM »
Yes,Bowes-Lyon family descended directly from the Princess Jean of Scotland,daughter of King Robert II of Scotland...

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 12:12:35 PM »
Yes i just wondered since Prince Georg uncle, Prince Aage (i think it was him) also married nobility, wasnt his wife an italian countess?
I didnt know that Prince Henrik wasnt a real count. His title prior to the marriage was Henri, Count de laborde de Monpezat."

It's not a real French title.

Prince Aage's marriage was not equal.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 12:24:08 PM »
In France there is a group of "Titled" nobility who are known as the faux noblesse because they "hold" titles that were never actually granted by the crown.

There is an entire book of some 300 pages dealing with this, but the title escapes me?

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline allanraymond

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Monarchies of Europe
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 08:34:11 AM »

Yes, Anne was the queen mother's niece.  Her first marriage ended in divorce (and she is the mother of the present earl of Lichfield)

I well remember attending a training course in Stone and during a free afternoon took some time out to visit Shugborough Hall  the ancestral home of Earls of Lichfield. In the front of the house was parked  Patrick Lichfield's e type Jaguar and travelling around the rear of the house who should be having afternoon lunch was Patrick Lichfield with family or friends. I felt like an interloper and beat a fairly slow retreat.

Allan Raymond
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:44:51 AM by Svetabel »

Offline QueenEna1887

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 02:37:18 PM »
Like aunty like niece I see the Bowes-Lyons were quite fortunate to marry into royal families!!

Leuchtenberg

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 05:35:32 PM »
Whether it is true or not, a story is that George VI sent a memo to the King of Denmark stating something to the effect of "If a Bowes-Lyon is good enough for me, it should be good enough for one of your minor princes."

Regardless of the veracity of the above, it would have been an insult to Queen Elizabeth to give her niece's marriage a morganatic status.

Princess Anne was very conscious of her lineage and was something of a snob.  Quite the opposite from her gracious sister-in-law Countess Ruth af Rosenborg.

Wettin

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2005, 08:40:09 PM »
So queen Ena1887 you think it´s luck to marry into a royal family. I don´t know. I´m sure you are not a wannabe. You´d be surprised at the daily hardships. And you Merlene think that HRH the prince concort of Denmark isn´t a real French count. And another poster thínks that princesse Anne of Denmark was very concious of her ancestry. I think countess Ruth of Rosenborg could afford to be very cool. Despite her surname Nielsen, very common in Denmark, her father built up a considerate fortune in wood and carpentry dealing (Danske Traelast?) and the company was later introduced on the Copenhagen stock exchange. The family´s ownerconcentration is lesser now due to divorces among the children.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 01:45:54 AM by Svetabel »