Author Topic: Forum Members part 2  (Read 68579 times)

bluetoria

Re: Forum Members part 2
« Reply #450 on: May 04, 2005, 05:09:14 PM »
Val, they're great pictures!  :) Thanks for posting them. Is that Southern California (as in 'It never rains in Southern California' .... or California as in ''California dreaming....'?) I'm trying to improve my non-existent  :-/ knowledge of American geography!
(But bear in mind we're so small here that there's far less to learn & I don't even know where Berkshire - England - is exactly!!!  ;D)

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 05, 2005, 08:01:36 AM »
Hey Brian it is good to see your posts again; I guess it shows how big this Forum really is, as I have been a prisoner of the Windsor section for a couple of months, so that may well be why our paths have not crossed....

And you are way too good looking!  Whilst I appreciate your kind remarks about me, I still wish that I could look like you!

Anyway, you know that I have the greatest admiration for both your looks and your knowledge, as is the case with many of my 'mates' here; I always really enjoy the wonderful images that you share with us and the insightful comments that you make.

Arianwen, you know that I am an admirer of yours!  I wish that I had 10% of the knowledge that you display here on a daiy basis; I have no idea how you manage to be wife, mother, student and maintain a hefty contribution here as well - you must be Wonder Woman!

I hope that we do see you here at Opera North when we re-open; looks like it will be 2007 now when the theatre finally re-opens......

And do you know what, it is great to enjoy such intelligent and good-looking company here on this site!  :)

PS Can someone please fill me in on what happened with Olga, as I have really no idea........?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Arianwen

« Reply #452 on: May 05, 2005, 08:49:54 AM »
And you are way too good looking!  Whilst I appreciate your kind remarks about me, I still wish that I could look like you!

Both of you are extremely handsome men, and were I single, I'd be hard-pressed to say who I fancied more. ;)

Anyway, you know that I have the greatest admiration for both your looks and your knowledge, as is the case with many of my 'mates' here; I always really enjoy the wonderful images that you share with us and the insightful comments that you make.

Martyn, beautifully put, as always. I feel much the same about nearly everyone on this forum, all of you living proof that beauty and brains, as well as kindness, CAN go hand-in-hand. Whoever your photographer is, Brian, I'd love to do a shoot with him. He could probably even make me look good! ;)

Arianwen, you know that I am an admirer of yours!  I wish that I had 10% of the knowledge that you display here on a daiy basis; I have no idea how you manage to be wife, mother, student and maintain a hefty contribution here as well - you must be Wonder Woman!

lol Not nearly as hefty as I'd like. The past two days, I've been home sick with bronchitis, so I've had the chance to catch up on all the threads I've been reading with avid interest and lacked the time to contribute to. And 10%? Martyn, I'd say you're nothing less than my equal in knowledge and intellect, if not my superior, though perhaps in different areas. I can tell you the date and victor of every battle during the Wars Of The Roses, but I couldn't tell you anything about post-WWII America to save my life! lol

And actually, the student part of my job description is about to come to an end for now. My commencement ceremony is next Friday, where I receive my graduate degree from Penn State in history and music education. Next is my doctorate, but not for about ten years. I don't want to be overqualified for a high school teaching post, and if I wait, the school system may well pay for the PhD. ::) As a substitute teacher who seems to be quite in demand, I've already got a good foot in the door, so here's hoping a post opens up for me in the next year or two.

I hope that we do see you here at Opera North when we re-open; looks like it will be 2007 now when the theatre finally re-opens......

Smashing! As soon as the program for the season is announced, please do let me know, so we can start making plans. Hopefully, by the 2009-2010 season, I'll be living in Yorkshire, and it won't be quite such a long trip to attend. :) Laura adores music as well as dressing up, so she'll be coming along as well, putting her mother to shame with her beauty. ;) I'm really quite serious about getting all the British members of the forum together for the opera outing. If any of the ladies need a gown, I'm sure I have enough to go around...::)

And do you know what, it is great to enjoy such intelligent and good-looking company here on this site!  :)

*raises her glass of orange juice* I couldn't agree more! A toast to the most wonderful group of historians and friends I've ever had the pleasure to find in one place!

Regards,
Arianwen
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Arianwen »

Val289

« Reply #453 on: May 05, 2005, 10:00:17 AM »
Val, they're great pictures!  :) Thanks for posting them. Is that Southern California (as in 'It never rains in Southern California' .... or California as in ''California dreaming....'?) I'm trying to improve my non-existent  :-/ knowledge of American geography!
(But bear in mind we're so small here that there's far less to learn & I don't even know where Berkshire - England - is exactly!!!  ;D)

Hello, bluetoria!  Thanks - glad you enjoyed the pictures.  Yup - I live in Southern California.  The song "It Never Rains In Southern CA" is generally quite descriptive of where I live (in the Mojave Desert).  Although this year we've had over 25 inches of rain, and the wildflowers are quite beautiful  :D

- Val :)

bluetoria

« Reply #454 on: May 05, 2005, 10:05:37 AM »

Although this year we've had over 25 inches of rain, and the wildflowers are quite beautiful  :D

- Val :)

Well the song does continue, "It never rains in Southern California, but....it pours, man it pours!"  ;)
I'll bet it's very beautiful with the wild flowers!  :)

This is the Victoria Quarter in Leeds that was mentioned on the Coats of Arms thread:

Martyn might have a better picture!  :)

Arianwen

« Reply #455 on: May 05, 2005, 09:23:07 PM »
Bluetoria, that picture you posted is absolutely gorgeous! And here, I didn't think it was possible to want to move to Yorkshire more than I already do...;)

Now, pictures of my various homes, in chronological order: my birthplace, Leipzig, formerly East Germany.

The old town hall

The restored Commerzbank. I LOVE this building!

The Opera House, probably my favourite place in Leipzig

Thomaskirche

Zum Arabischen Coffee Baum. It's a coffeehouse and a coffee museum, so if you're a fan of the vile stuff, this is the stop for you :)

Believe it or not, this is the stock exchange, or at least, it was. Built in 1678, it's one of my favourite buildings in Leipzig

The market square. It actually looks surprisingly deserted in this photo, as it's usually bustling and crowded

And that's Leipzig for you! :) I don't want to overload you lot with photos...;D Next, onto Canterbury..

Regards,
Arianwen

Arianwen

« Reply #456 on: May 06, 2005, 05:42:29 AM »
Now, this is Canterbury, with a few shots of my college at Oxford thrown in. I'm sorry if I overload you with photos... :-/

Christchurch Gate, which leads to the cathedral and my house, and yes, we have a blue Christ. ;) It's actually bluish-green, and made of bronze

Downtown Canterbury, with buildings originally belonging to the cathedral on the far left

A beautiful little antique shoppe, one I'd highly recommend to any visitors of the town. It was built sometime in the Tudor period, possibly a bit earlier, though I can't recall the date off-hand...*slaps own hand* BAD Arianwen! Bad historian! lol

Our famous St John Boy's, now the home of the King's Gallery, and despite its appearance, it's quite stable. You can always find visitors standing outside it, wary of going in for fear it will cave in while they're in it, but as it's nearly five hundred years old, I think it's safe. ;)

Our famous landmark, the cathedral itself. :) This is the view from the ground floor of my house. My mother-in-law is infamous for asking during her visit 'What time do they have Mass on Sundays?' I tried to explain that Canterbury Cathedral is the seat of the Anglican church, but she replied, 'Nonsense. It's a cathedral, so it must be Catholic. Just call and see when their Masses are.' It finally took dialing the main office and having the pastor explain that the cathedral was once Catholic, but after Henry VIII, became Anglican, and has been ever since, and she was still horribly offended. Every now and then, she still remarks, 'It's a terrible shame about that beautiful cathedral. I was so looking forward to Mass there, but they're a bunch of heretics.' *sigh* Apparently, the chapel built on the grounds of my house specifically for my Catholic family's use centuries ago wasn't good enough for her, despite bringing the priest from Maidstone every time we're staying at the house...

Some more of the original structures. The excavation is still ongoing, and it's been quite a find so far, the original cathedral being built in the 1070s

What we're most famous for: St Thomas à Becket's former shrine. Now, all that exists is a plaque and a never-dying flame, but there was once a splendid shrine, which was destroyed by Henry VIII. He even ordered St Thomas' remains dumped into the river, so we don't even have his bones

The site of the murder, with the horrid sculpture involving the swords. No one I've encountered actually likes the thing, but so it goes

No, this isn't Venice, this is still more of Canterbury, with beautiful old buildings along the water

Now, on to Exeter College, Oxford...you can actually see the window of my room from there, if you look at the second window from the left on the wing that protrudes left from the chapel-like building. My hall was in the dormitory built in the 17th century, but we had central air and heat, ethernet, and all the amenities of modern rooms with the added benefit of living in a building four hundred years old. ;D I loved every minute, and stayed on all three years instead of moving off

Exeter College Chapel, home of the famed Chapel Choir

My building from the other side

So, now you've seen where I consider home. Next, for Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania, where I currently abide...

Regards,
Arianwen

Arianwen

« Reply #457 on: May 06, 2005, 06:31:06 AM »
I currently live in Spotsylvania, of the county of the same name, just outside Fredericksburg, Virginia. We're known mostly for having four Civil War battlefields in the immediate area, and our subdivision is even on part of the Chancellorsville Battlefield. My father and brother re-enact on the Confederate side, in the 47th Virginia Infantry, and they're working on recruiting my husband, but the fact that he spends his weekends studying and following doctors on rounds at the local hospital has prevented him thusfar. *whew*

This is the Rappahannock river, and it was crossing this river that caused the battle of Fredericksburg. Had General Burnside been able to cross unimpeded, he would have had a path clear to Richmond, Fredericksburg being a great trading port as well as the halfway point between DC and Richmond, but he waited three weeks for the pontoon bridges, giving Generals Lee, Longstreet, and Jackson the time needed to entrench themselves on the high ground behind the town. Mini-history lesson... :-[ ;D

This is where General Stonewall Jackson was wounded at Chancellorsville, just two or three miles from my house, if that. A mile away from my house is the remains of the fire where Generals Lee and Jackson last met. BIG tourist attraction, and every time we see a white car parked there, anyone speeding down Old Plank Rd slows down abruptly, thinking they've finally put a police car with radar there...;)

The view down Caroline St in spring, with the blossoms in full bloom. Caroline St is one of the main streets in Olde Town Fredericksburg, as we call it, and all eight original streets are named after members of the royal family of the time (1725): Caroline St, George St, William St, Hanover St, Sophia St (pronounced soh-FAI-ah), Princess Anne St, Edward St, and another I'm forgetting

Caroline St in the middle of summer, when all the tourists are out and the weather is sunny, 95-100º, with 70-80% humidity. That's about the time this English Rose is hiding iinside with the air conditioning blasting. lol

The Mary Washington House, home of George Washington's mother for his entire presidency, and most of his life before that. She died in the house, and most of her belongings are still there in their original places. Even her garden is maintained as she left it

Fredericksburg Visitors' Centre

My favourite local historical spot: Chatham Manor. Perhaps iit reminds me of England, as it's 18th century, but it's one of my main places of inspiration for writing poetry, stories, and music. During the colonial period, George Washington stayed here twice as a guest of the owners, General Lee courted his wife here, and Clara Barton and Walt Whitman were nurses here during the Civil War

Another shot, including the spectacular gardens. These two shots may look like the front, but as they're facing away from the river, they're the back of the house

This is the view from the front

The view across the Rappahannock to Olde Town Fredericksburg

And I think that's enough photos from me. I'm sorry if this is overload, between the three posts, but I wanted everyone to have a better idea of where I've lived and where I currently reside. :)

Regards,
Arianwen

Edited 6.11 pm Forum Time for organisation and putting in correct pictures...:-[

Val289

« Reply #458 on: May 06, 2005, 10:03:48 AM »
Arianwen - Breathtaking photos!  Thank you for posting all of them - you're very fortunate to have lived in so many beautiful and historic places :)

-Val ;)

Arianwen

« Reply #459 on: May 06, 2005, 08:12:33 PM »
Arianwen - Breathtaking photos!  Thank you for posting all of them - you're very fortunate to have lived in so many beautiful and historic places :)

Thank you, Val! ;D My husband jokes that 'I couldn't possibly live anywhere without massive amounts of history, because I'd wilt like the lovely, ivory English Rose that I am'. lol Quite the flatterer, isn't he? ;) Actually, at the moment, that ivory complexion of mine is red and blotchy, resembling Alexandra's when she was in public, but for me, it's because I have quite a high fever. *chants to self* No hospital, no hospital, no hospital, no hospital...the power of will, right? I come from a long line of tough, stubborn, German b!tches, so that should be good for something. ;D Laura's the next in that line, inheriting the colouring as well as the wilful, stubborn streak, and while I say 'Good for her!', Jon just covers his face with his hands and groans, 'Not another one!' Just wait until the other three children, as one will probably be another girl...;D ::)

Regards,
Arianwen

JaneEyre5381

« Reply #460 on: May 09, 2005, 04:04:06 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Daria5381/CatherineMaryAbbyinthefrontandmyself.jpg
This is after the Easter vespers at my church on May 1.  I'm the one in the black sweater, then two of my friends from the church choir.  The little girl in front of me is Abigail, daughter of the choir director.

I hope it works.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by JaneEyre5381 »

JaneEyre5381

« Reply #461 on: May 09, 2005, 04:10:47 PM »
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Daria5381/JustinSimeonMirandaandAbbyDeaconKevinschildre.jpg

This is Abby with her brothers Justin (the one with glasses) and Simeon, and little sister Miranda (Easter again).

JaneEyre5381

« Reply #462 on: May 09, 2005, 04:14:33 PM »
This one is of Miranda and me.  
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Daria5381/Mirandaandme.jpg

I apologize once again for multiple posts.  I have no clue of how to post more then one link in a post.

Arianwen

« Reply #463 on: May 09, 2005, 04:28:14 PM »
:o Dasha, your children are beautiful, and so are you! See? We don't have a single unattractive person on this forum. Thanks for finally posting photos of yourself and the little ones! :)

Regards,
Arianwen

JaneEyre5381

« Reply #464 on: May 09, 2005, 05:14:02 PM »
:o Dasha, your children are beautiful, and so are you! See? We don't have a single unattractive person on this forum. Thanks for finally posting photos of yourself and the little ones! :)

Regards,
Arianwen

Arianwen, thank you so much for your kind words, but I must humbly say that the children are not mine.  Their paretns are Deacon Kevin (our choir director) and his wife, whose name I'm not sure of.  I simply keep an eye on the the two girls (Abby and Miranda) during the Liturgies.  I sing in the choir, and since Abby and Mira are the daughters of the director, they occasionally come over and stand either with me or with another member.  I love children to death, but unfortunately I'm still single and don't have any of my own.  Though I mst say that I hope my little ones will be as beautiful as these four.  

Also, thank you so much for your compliments regarding my looks.  I don't think I'm at all attractive, but I guess we're our own worst critics.  I will pass your comments regarding the children along to their parents.  Thank you again.