Author Topic: King Zog of Albania (and family) & Queen Geraldine  (Read 59322 times)

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: King Zog of Albania (and family) & Queen Geraldine
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 04:05:26 AM »

I heard, that GEraldine was working in a flower shop in New York

As I understood she was selling postcards at a Museum
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Offline James_Davidov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 04:16:13 AM »
Getty
IN THE 1930s King Zog of Albania was looking for a wife. Such vacancies were not uncommon among the royal families of Europe, where 17 countries were still ruled, at least nominally, by a monarch, and many others had claimants to the throne. To be queen of Albania was perhaps not the first choice of a woman seeking a royal career; Britain would have been better, but Wallis Simpson, an American divorcee, seemed all set for the queen's job there (until the king spoiled everything by abdicating). If Albania had any particular appeal it could be that so insignificant a country could hardly be coveted by the competing ideologies in Europe of fascism and communism.

Geraldine Apponyi de Nagi-Appony, a Hungarian countess, mulled over such matters when she received a visit in 1937 from a sister of King Zog. Her brother had seen a photograph of Geraldine. Why didn't she visit Albania and have a look round? The prospect of marriage seems not to have been mentioned at this meeting. It did not have to be. It was well known that Zog was seeking a bride with a big income and of good breeding.

Geraldine had the breeding, but she had little money. Her father had married an heiress from Virginia, introducing an American strain into the Hungarian family: Geraldine was a very distant cousin of Richard Nixon. But whatever money the marriage yielded had now gone. Geraldine was earning a living as a shorthand-typist, a skill her practical-minded mother had insisted she acquire.

But when Zog met Geraldine in December 1937, money no longer seemed important. He proposed after a few days. Geraldine was less smitten. She was 22, he was 42 and looked older. (Our picture shows the couple in 1960.) Nevertheless, she praised him for having “maturity and authority” and the marriage was on. The wedding was held in Tirana, the Albanian capital, in the following April. Hitler's present was a red Mercedes. The regent of Hungary sent a carriage and four horses, a vehicle more suited to Albania's primitive roads. Mussolini's present was a few copper saucepans. He wasn't too pleased about the marriage.

source:http://www.economist.com/people/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1429252 (a great article)

James
You are a member of the British royal family. We are never tired, and we all love hospitals.
Queen Mary

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2006, 06:07:49 AM »
Queen Geraldine signing an autograph for a fan :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2006, 11:22:22 AM »
A formal photograph of the new Queen of Albania :

At this time, she was reputed like the most beautiful Queen of Europe.
Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Benjamin

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »
Has anyone read Geraldine of the Albanians: The Authorized Biography by Gwen Robyns? If so, was it any good?

Isn't that the only biography of her in English?

bell_the_cat

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2006, 01:49:28 AM »
Did Geraldine convert to Islam at any stage? Is Leka a Moslem?

Benjamin

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2006, 09:01:27 PM »
Did Geraldine convert to Islam at any stage? Is Leka a Moslem?

You are correct about Leka being a Muslim. Not sure about Geraldine though.

Norbert

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2008, 11:25:03 AM »
There is no topic on Albania. Who supports the family of king Zog or thinks that the claim should have passed to the Wieds?

Robert_Hall

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2008, 05:46:55 PM »
I do not think there is a monarchist movement in Albania any longer. Leka "retired" after the loss of his mother and wife and the decvastating  election results.  Their website  has not been updated in years.
 No one ever took the Wieds seriously.
 There are several threads on the Zogus, try the search function.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 05:53:12 PM by Robert_Hall »

Norbert

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
well, thats put me in my place...sorry

Robert_Hall

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2008, 06:54:05 PM »
I meant no offence, Norbert. Just perhaps linking to those sites would be a better place for your pictures.
 I had an interest in the Albanians, read everything I could find on them [not that there is that much, in English, at least]. My conclusion was that the lot of them wre a bunch of reprobates and how they got decent women to marry them is beyond me.

Norbert

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2008, 05:35:52 AM »
The first mension of an Albanian Prince in modern times was in 1905." Madame' magazine 4 march 1905 published a photograph of " HH Prince Albert Ghica, son of Prince Constantine and Princess Helene of ALBANIA". He married at St Mary's Church , Cadogan St , London on Mon 27 Feb 1905 Miss Margaret Dowling of Kildare. The Pope sent blessings by Cardinal Merry del Val.  Early in 1913 " Daily Express" reported Prince Henry Ghica, a deaf mute married in Budapest a Mme de Rethay " who is similarly affected. "The groom being the brother of the Pretender of the Albanian throne" . Later that year the French Duc de Montpensier was actively promoted for the throne which would go with marriage to Pss Elisabeth of Roumania. Alarmed, the other European powers began to find their own candidates: Wilhelm of Urach, Karl Anton of Hohenzollern, Arthur of Connauht, Wilhelm or Carl of Sweden, Burhan Eddin, Prince Abdul Majid of Turkey or  Ahmet Faud of Egypt.
Meanwhile Queen Elisabeth of Roumania considered her protegee the talented Princess Sophie of Schonburg-Waldenburg just married to her favourite nephew, who would make a charming neighbour living in the Balkans!....

YaBB_Jose

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
Related to the recent independence of Kosovo, Point de Vue has two articles subscribed by Pr.Alexander of Yu, disgusted with the independence, and King Leka, naturally supportive.

What stroke me was the king's look.
I haven't seen a pic. of him since the death of Queen Susan when he was comprehensively distressed , but he looks even worse, completely frail and looking much older than he really is.

Robert_Hall

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2008, 01:42:06 PM »
Well, he has had a rather bizarre life, perhaps it is catching up with him?
 It was sad, though, to loose his mother and wife. I imagine that took it's toll as well.

Norbert

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »
never hear much about Leka junior...