Author Topic: NEW-The Intimate Life of the Last Tsarina  (Read 6462 times)

Offline CatherineNY

• View Profile
Re: NEW-The Intimate Life of the Last Tsarina
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »
Would anyone recommend the Leda Farrand biography of Catherine Radziwill, "The Princess from St. Petersburg"? Not that I was able to find a copy for sale on any of my usual internet sources, but I wondered if it would be worth the time and effort to track it down.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 05:16:05 PM »
A conniving *(^(*&^*&*%%^ she was and even got herself thrown in jail when she tried to blackmail Cecil Rhodes.

Arturo Be├ęche

Yeah, well said..she was also horrible to Vicky.. >:(
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline markov

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 11:54:56 AM »
Just two examples to show that Catherine Radziwill (aka Catherine Kolb-Danvin) got things wrong (on purpose) : 1) She says that neither the Empress nor GD Serge (Ella) visited the injured in hospitals after the tragedy at Khodinska Plain. This is refuted in many other sources ~ both of them visited hospitals every day and made generous provision for families of victims. 2) In another book (Secrets of Dethroned Royalty ~ what a title!) she claims that Ella continued to live a life of luxury and ease at the convent she entered following Serge's assassination. Quote : 'She wished to pose as a victim of circumstances and aspired to acquire the reputation of a saint, which she was not'.  All other sources (including Lady Georgina Buchanan, wife of the British ambassador) state the opposite, emphasising her simple, devout life and plain surroundings. She sold virtually everything she owned to help the convent. And, as we all know, Ella was beatified by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1993. A piece of music in honour of her (Elizabeth : Full of Grace) by John Taverner was first performed by the Mariinsky Orchestra in 2003. Also, her statue is one of ten representing Christian martyrs unveiled on the west front of Westminster Abbey, London, by HM Queen Elizabeth II in 1998. So, I think Catherine Radziwill's words were at best unwise, at worst spiteful and evil.  As for GD Ella, RIP.  (My source for the quotes from Catherine Radziwill's books :
Meriel Buchanan ~ Queen Victoria's relations)