Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > Nicholas II

"Sam ikh privel v podval..." "he led them to the basement himself"

(1/33) > >>

Marya Pavlovna:
Can someone please tell me the exact day of Nicolas' abdication, I'm supposto do a speech about the Romanovs tomorrow and I don't know the exact date, so can someone please post it up?

Thank you!

~Masha~

nigbil:
Pskov, March 2nd 1917 3:00pm (OS)
This is the 2nd and final abdication in favour of his brother GD Mikhail Alexandrovich.
(source: "The Russian Revolution & the Soviet State 1917-1921 Documents" by my old tutor Martin McCauley.)

Daniel Briere:
Nigbil is right about the date and time inscribed on the Abdication manifesto. But Nicholas II didn’t sign the last one at 3:00 PM but at 11:40 PM later that day. As he had originally signed his first abdication at 3:00 PM (in favor of Alexis) and didn’t want to appear as having bowed to pressure of the emissaries of the Duma when he signed his second abdication (in favor of Michael), the original time was kept. He also signed two orders - one naming Prince Lvov as President of the Council of Minister, the other one naming Grand Duke Nicholas Nicholaevich as Commander-in-Chief - both of which dated before the abdication.

As Nigbil wrote, the date of (Thursday) March 2 was according to the old Russian (Julian) calendar. In the West it was already March 15 …the Ides of March. Oddly enough, on his way to Mogilev the week before, Nicholas II had been reading Julius Ceasar. That night, after his abdication, he wrote in his diary: “Around me there is nothing but treason, cowardice, and deception”. Did he remember that on the same date – the Ides of March -  Julius Ceasar had fallen victim to his entourage’s treason?

nigbil:
Daniel, that is fascinating.
So the poor man stewed on what he was doing for almost 9 hours before signing the second act. I know he did not contact the Empress but was that because the telephone lines were down?

Also within the Orthodox calendar, whose name date was March 2nd. If it was Job (I'm sure it was not) that would fit with the fatalism that shrouded his life.

Lastly, and its probably part of another thread, is a legalistic question; if he had signed once (in favour of his son) presumably in law he was no longer Tsar and Emperor of All the Russias? Therefore by a strictly legalist reading, he could not abdicate again?
Nigbil

Georgiy:

--- Quote ---Also within the Orthodox calendar, whose name date was March 2nd. If it was Job (I'm sure it was not) that would fit with the fatalism that shrouded his life.
--- End quote ---

March 2 is the feast of Hieromartyr Theodotus, Bishop of Cyrenia. He was a Bishop in the early 300s during one of the persecutions of Christians, openly proclaiming Christ. His arrest was ordered, but before they could arrest him, he went to the Governor by himself. They tortured him including by nailing him to an iron bed under which fire was lit. But all through the tortures he didn't cease from preaching Christianity. They threw him in prison, where he remained until the reign of St Constantine the Great. He died in 326.

Also commemorated that day are:St Arseny Bishop of Tver and St Sabbaty of Tver. Virgin-martyr Euthalia of Sicily, Martyr Troadius of Neocaesaria, Venerable Agathon of Egypt, and the 440 Martyrs slain by the Lombards in Sicily.

An icon of the Theotokos enthroned was discovered in Russia on the very day that the Tsar abdicated, and is commemorated on this day too. For the pious it has come to signify that the Mother of God is the protectress of Russia while there is no Tsar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version