Author Topic: Helena, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein (1846-1921), and her family, Part I  (Read 179108 times)

Offline Thierry

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Marie-Louise's book is a very nice one. I much enjoyed the reading.

She was close to Alix. Marie-Louise said there were more like sisters that cousins in their youth. Just after having accepted Nicholas' proposal, Alix rushed into Marie-Louise's room to tell it to her.

When King George V told her about the murder of the Imperial Family, she asked him if he wanted her to bring his letter to Victoria Milford Haven, as she was going to spend a few days with the Milford Haven and he agreed.

A quite interesting book and Marie-Louise seems to have been an interesting personality.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Thierry »

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
"My Six Reigns" is a delightful book. Very readable!  Not terribly detailed, but a bit like spending the afternoon with your grandmother or elderly aunt.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Actually, wasn't it Queen Alexandra who called Thora "Snipe"? I believe she once referrenced Princess Christian's possible hopes that George would turn to Thora for a bride after Eddy died with the remark about "her lovely Snipe chasing you about" or something similar. Very catty and the remark about daughter's not being beauties still holds--the Wales girls were as a whole nothing to shout about.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
Helena´s eldest son, Prince Christian Victor "Christle". He died in 1900 because of malaria during the Boer War.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
The second son, Prince Albert (1869-1931), became Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg. He fathered a child, Valerie-Marie, who was brought up by a Jewish family and later married the Duc of Arenberg.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:27:42 PM by Svetabel »

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
Helena Victoria (1870-1948) was the first-born daughter. The widowed King of Sweden proposed to her in the early 1920s, but she said that she was to old for such a change in her life.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
The last surviving child of Helena was Princess Marie Louise (1872-1956). She married Prince Aribert of Anhalt in 1891, but the couple divorced some years later (Aribert was gay). She was very close to her sister Helena Victoria.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
Helena gave birth to two more children: Harold, who was born in May 1876 and only lived for 8 days, and an unnamed son, who was born and died 7 May 1877.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Princess Helena harbored hopes that either Eddy or, later, his brother George would chose Thora as a wife.

The pursuit of the latter caused Princess Alexandra to remark (rather meanly) on 'The Snipe's' looks saying what a 'pleasure' it would be to welcome 'that beauty' into the family.

Both Thora and Marie Louise were active members of the royal family until late in their life and were present at such events as weddings, coronations and Trooping of the Colours.

Marie Louise wrote her memoirs 'My Memories of Six Reigns' as well as a book dealing with her visit to Africa--both sisters were very well-travelled and, amongst other stops in Africa, visited their brother's grave in South Africa. (Princess Helena had elected to have her eldest son buried in Pretoria where he died and visisted the site herself as well.)

Prince Albert was the father of an illegitimate daughter, Valerie, whose existence her aunts acknowledged in a letter. She wanted to marry a nobleman but, having been raised by a Jewish family, needed to prove her Aryan roots under Nazi law. Albert never revealed who her mother was. She was the only grandchild of Helena & Christian. This is covered in more detail in Queen Victoria's Descendants.

Offline Linnea

• Graf
    • View Profile
You can also find some childhood pictures of Helena´s children in Queen Victoria´s family by Charlotte Zeepvat.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Helena Victoria (1870-1948) was the first-born daughter. The widowed King of Sweden proposed to her in the early 1920s, but she said that she was to old for such a change in her life.

How interesting! I think i'm right in saying that one of her grandmothers ladies said she would make a wonderful Queen??!

It must of been hard for her and Marie Louise to leave Schomberg House after having lived their so long!!!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
The second son, Prince Albert (1869-1931), became Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg. He fathered a child, Valerie-Marie, who was brought up by a Jewish family and later married the Duc of Arenberg.
Albert in his later years:

At the Christies auction in January I saw one of the most lovely obejcts i've ever seen. It was Alberts enamel vesta case with his name on in scroll letters, fabulous it was.  :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page

How interesting! I think i'm right in saying that one of her grandmothers ladies said she would make a wonderful Queen??!

It must of been hard for her and Marie Louise to leave Schomberg House after having lived their so long!!!

Did it go so far as to an actual proposal? I know Thora was close to the family but I had read an engagment was just rumored--she was about 12 years older than him in addition. Gustav Adolf didn't like to be widowed though--another rumor had him proposing to his 1st wife's cousin Princess Alice of Albany, Countess of Athlone, who was widowed herself by then, after Queen Louise's death.

Here's some info on the siblings:

Christian Victor Albert Ludwig Ernst Anton (1867-1900)

Albert John Charles Frederick Arthur George, Duke of Schleswig Holstein (1869- 1931)

Victoria Louise Sophia Augusta Amelia Helena (Helena Victoria) (1870-1948)

Franziska Josepha Louise Augusta Marie Christina Helena (Marie Louise) (1872-1956); m.1891 (div 1900) Aribert of Anhalt  

Frederick Christian Augustus Leopold Edward Harald (12- 20 May 1876)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
There was a touching story that Marie Louise wrote of in her memoirs. Soon after they received the news of 'Christle's' death in South Africa, little Maurice of Battenberg (Beatrice's son and Christle's cousin) came into Thora's room. He solemnly told her that when he grew up he would serve bravely like his cousin and in the same unit. This he did do, joining the 60th King's Royal Rifles. Like his cousin, he would die in service to the crown, falling in WW1. Also like Christle, Maurice was buried on foreign soil with his comrades. Ironically, given that both of these princes gave their life for England, their families--Schleswig-Holstein and Battenberg respectively--were forced to change their names (or drop them altogether) during the anti-German feeling of the time.

In addition, at Christle's deathbed was Queen Mary's brother Prince Francis of Teck (all 3 of her brother's served in the Boer War) and he apparently brought home news of the passing as well as some of Christle's effects. Christle himself had been on the Ashanti expedition which claimed the life of Prince Henry of Battenberg--young Maurice's father. The 2 had set off together but Henry's illness forced Christle to continue on separately.

Christle was also the first member of the royal family to attend public school--Wellington College--where he excelled at cricket (something he devotedly played until the end of his life) and was very popular with his schoolmates--something replicated with the men under his command.

Here's the memorial to Christle outside of Windsor Castle

I've recently bought some postcard images of his grave and more of the memorial but don't have them scanned yet.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Abby

Abby was often in the company of the Berlin Court--he was heir to his paternal uncle, as well as first cousin to both Wilhelm I (their mothers's being sisters) and Empress Augusta Victoria (their fathers's being brothers). Here he is with his aunt Vicky and his cousins (as well as another cousin GD Ernst Ludwig of Hesse). Albert is between Ernie
and CP Constantine of Greece on the right side of the card.