Author Topic: Books on Grand Duchess Elizabeth  (Read 182368 times)

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Books on Grand Duchess Elizabeth
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »
Don;t know if there are more booksin German on Ella.

I only know of one book about her in german. It's "Großfürstin  Elisabeth von Rußland" by Lubov Millar, ISBN 3-935217-15-3, published in 2004.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 27, 2009, 05:04:37 PM »
Folks, it's on this thread, reply #2.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 29, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »
Another book:

Belyakova, Zoia.  The Romanovs: The Way It Was.  Hardcover, 175 pages.  Ego Publishers, 2000.  [All Fell in Love with Ella, 69 pages, including color photos of addressed and watercolor sketches on 18 envelopes by Ella.  Shows a unexpected light side of her.]

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
Here's a book, that I haven't seen.  It's from www.spasnanovom.ru/books.  If someone can translate, I would love to know what the blurb says, to know whether or not I want to figure out how to order. 

Марфо-Мариинская обитель милосердия

Печатается по изданию 1914 года. Повествует об учреждении Марфо-Мариинской обители милосердия, ее деятельности и о ее целых.
(брошюра, мягкая обложка, 32 стр., 2006 г. издан.)

PS:  The name of the book photo file was "marfa_mariinsray" -- Martha and Mary something?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:00:18 PM by ragnel »

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »
From http://www.rustran.com/, I got this book blurb translated.  I think the unknown words are Martha & Mary.

"Марфо-Mariinsky monastery of mercy

It is printed under the edition of 1914. Narrates about establishment of the ?aOo«-Mariinsky monastery of mercy, its activity and about its whole. (the brochure, a soft cover, 32 p., 2006 it is published.)"

If someone buys this, I would like to know the cost, how much in text and how much in pictures.

I wonder if the English edition is the same as a book in my second list above:  Community of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr.  The Martha-Mary Convent and Rule of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr.  Paperback, 54 pages.  Holy Trinity Monastery Printshop of St. Job of Pocheaev, Jordanville, NY, 2005.  Contact:   Community of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr, 1520 State Route 167, Mohawk, NY 13407-3102, (315) 858-2208.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:27:50 PM by ragnel »

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 08, 2009, 03:42:31 PM »
I looked at my copy of The Martha-Mary Convent and Rule of St. Elizabeth the New Martyr last night.  It says it's from the 1914 original, in English.

The Марфо-Mariinsky Monastery of Mercy book sounds like someone else's republication from the 1914 original, in Russian.

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 16, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
Does anyone know a source for The Orthodox Shrines of Russia, edited by Bishop Tikhon of Bronnitsy.  Moscow:  The Russian Orthodox Church Publishing House of the Moscow Patriarchate, 1997?  I'm hoping it's in English.

Offline ragnel

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
Magazine article from Orthodox Life, vol. 31, no. 5 (Sept.-Oct., 1981), pp. 3-14.   “Life of the Holy New Martyr Grand Duchess Elizabeth, by Metropolitan Anastassy, written July 1925, can be seen at www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/duchess.aspx

Offline benny

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2009, 02:08:34 PM »
There's quite a lot about Grand Duchess Elizabeth as a nun in Lubov Millar's biography, Grand Duchess Elizabeth, New Martyr of the Communist Yoke, which has just been reprinted in an expanded edition (now 500 pages, including more than 150 photographs). She did make quite a number of pilgrimages to various monasteries and convents, often to seek counsel, as well as to holy sites in Russia. What an extraordinary spiritual heroine. No wonder so many people are drawn to know more about her. Millar's book also contains a brief history of her convent up to the present.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 01, 2009, 10:15:17 AM »
Yet the main problem that people do not want to tackle was the relationship between Ella and Serge, which is more complex than clear cut in her book. Which makes people that she was almost born a nun.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #235 on: November 01, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »
There's quite a lot about Grand Duchess Elizabeth as a nun in Lubov Millar's biography, Grand Duchess Elizabeth, New Martyr of the Communist Yoke, which has just been reprinted in an expanded edition (now 500 pages, including more than 150 photographs). She did make quite a number of pilgrimages to various monasteries and convents, often to seek counsel, as well as to holy sites in Russia. What an extraordinary spiritual heroine. No wonder so many people are drawn to know more about her. Millar's book also contains a brief history of her convent up to the present.

Is this book in English?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
Yes. The author is from Australia, and of course in English. The German edition has more photos though as I saw in Darmstadt.

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2009, 03:59:44 AM »
For russian readers a new and very necessary big (846 pages) book, edited by te Orthodox University of Saint-Tikhon in Moscow: "Velikaya kniaginia Elisaveta Fedorovna i imperator Nikolai, dokumenty i materily (1884-1909). Sankt-Petersburg, Aleteya, 2009. A long and precious succession of letters and diaries' entriesof Ella, Alix, Maria Fedorovna, Sergey, KR and other Romanov, a very good light on the relationship between the couple Ella-Sergey and the other Romanov. A pity tha it goes only until 1909! Little tirage, only 1000 exemplars.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »
For russian readers a new and very necessary big (846 pages) book, edited by te Orthodox University of Saint-Tikhon in Moscow: "Velikaya kniaginia Elisaveta Fedorovna i imperator Nikolai, dokumenty i materily (1884-1909). Sankt-Petersburg, Aleteya, 2009. A long and precious succession of letters and diaries' entriesof Ella, Alix, Maria Fedorovna, Sergey, KR and other Romanov, a very good light on the relationship between the couple Ella-Sergey and the other Romanov. A pity tha it goes only until 1909! Little tirage, only 1000 exemplars.

Yes, the book is really great, we discuss it at the Books on the Imperial Family thread.

Offline Teddy

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/Booksvanhoog
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2009, 05:33:24 AM »

Thats'' not the only pity! Also that there are no English copies, is a pity.

Matushka, does the University also have an emailadress?