Author Topic: Re: Re: Empress Alexandra Photos #2  (Read 98454 times)

Offline ZarevnaOlga

• Graf
  • Grand Duchess Olga
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Empress Alexandra Photos #2
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2006, 02:41:41 AM »
A new picture for me. Alix looks very tired, what do you think?

Offline ZarevnaOlga

• Graf
  • Grand Duchess Olga
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2006, 03:15:15 AM »
Alix with Father and Irene (?) in bigger

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:55:27 PM by Alixz »

Offline ZarevnaOlga

• Graf
  • Grand Duchess Olga
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »
Alix very beautiful (in bigger quality)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:55:46 PM by Alixz »

Offline Justine

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2006, 12:28:51 PM »
Thank you ZarevnaOlga. I'v never seen first and second one
my deviant=>open for comissions

my Tumblr

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2006, 05:19:14 AM »
Alix with Father and Irene (?) in bigger

It's Ella :) Thank you for posting it, a lovely photo.  :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:56:23 PM by Alixz »
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 18, 2006, 06:55:35 PM »

However, I do not understand how could Mr. King possibily have mistaken this Ella's portrait to Alexandra's official ones. Both sisters had A LOT of physical features very similar to each other's ones, but if you look attentively, it's clear who's who of them.

Here, at the AP Forums, we have a lot of pics where Alix and her elder sister appears together, and I can pointe at once who is Ella and who is the Empress of Russia. The shape of their noses are VERY different, as well as the shape of their faces (Alix has a more round one), without mentioning their lips and their eye's expression. Both sisters have a "melancholic look", but their eyes ARE indeed very different.

However, even excellent historians still mistakes one sister to another, and more easly that we could think.Which the reason could be? I bet that most of us could said without any doubt, who's who.

RealAnastasia.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:57:45 PM by Alixz »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »
However, I do not understand how could Mr. King possibily have mistaken this Ella's portrait to Alexandra's official ones.

I don't really understand either, especially since it turns out that this is a pretty famous portrait of Ella, which is presently in Germany. Perhaps you can ask Mr King directly on his forum.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 19, 2006, 07:19:16 PM »
I'm a member of the Forums that Penny Wilson and him entertains. I will ask him about this portrait. I'm anxious to know his answer.

RealAnastasia.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2006, 10:30:49 PM »
I think asking Greg King is exactly the right thing to do. Quite possibly, this is simply a matter of his publisher using the photo without his knowledge or approval. I would definitely give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's see what he says.

Offline RealAnastasia

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
I already asked him why this Kaulbach's portrait is labelled as Alix one when it's clear the portrayed one is Ella. The only thing  we may do now is to wait, since Greg is less around online than Penny.

RealAnastasia.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:45:46 PM by Alixz »

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #130 on: December 22, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »

-- here's what Greg wrote on our board at kingandwilson last night in response to RealAnastasia's question:

++++++++++

Here is the ENTIRE story on the picture-feel free to share it with anyone who may ask similar questions.

I purchased the color print of this painting in 1992 in Petersburg; it was a very large print (about 2 feet by 3 and a half feet) in an old gilded frame (which unfortunately had to be left behind as I couldn't take it out of the country). The print itself was an OLD one from the turn of the century, NOT a new reproduction-it is quite stiff, on parchment, and with very vivid colors.

Being the owner of the print, I was therefore able to study it closely, and in color-and larger and in color the face very much looked like Alix (I first saw it in a shop window while passing on the street and even then thought "Oh, that's Alix!"). But written on the back of the print in Cyrillic was an inscription that read "Imperatritsa Aleksandra Feodorovna, 1896." There was another line that was smudged and thus illegible but may have had more information. So based on viewing the large, original print, in color, and based on the inscription on the reverse, I had no doubt that it was Alix.

It-along with other photos-went to the publisher in 1993 and was set that summer. The very first time I had any hint that it might not have been was in 1994, a month AFTER "The Last Empress" was published, when the same picture, in black and white, appeared for the first time to my knowledge in the Russian exhibition catalogue "Nikolai i Aleksandra" from the Hermitage, and labeled as Ella. By this time, as I say, "The Last Empress" had already been published, so it was too late to correct the information if it was in error. But again, until 1994-and after publication of "The Last Empress"-this particular portrait had never appeared in print that I knew of-I even talked to Bob Atchison about this particular portrait and the question of whether it was Alix or Ella, and he told me he had no idea and he had never seen it before being published in my book, either.

That said, I do have to say that, in the large original in color, it really does not look like Ella to me but Alix. If it is in fact Ella-and this is shown in more than one source (other than the "Nikolai i Aleksandra" 1994 catalogue, which mis-identifies several items)-then I accept it is of Ella, not Alix. But again, my determination was based on close examination of the original color print in my possession; discussion with Bob; and the inscription on the reverse in Russian. As far as I know, I was the first person outside of Russia to publish this particular portrait, and if it is of Ella, that information only came AFTER "The Last Empress" had been printed. So as far as I'm concerned, if it was a mistake, it was one based on the best evidence at the time.

I know some self-appointed "expert" (not you!) has attempted to use this picture as some sort of evidence "against" me somehow to "show" that I am somehow less than reliable but again the facts above don't support any such contention. I'm perfectly happy with having been the first person, to my knowledge, to publish it in the West, and having asked Bob, viewing the original print, and with the inscription on the back identifying it as Alix, I'd like to know what others-never having seen it published before-would have done in my place in 1993!

I hope that helps explain the history of the print and the identification of it in 1993!

Greg

+++++++
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:48:08 PM by Alixz »
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline Penny_Wilson

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • kingandwilson
« Reply #131 on: December 22, 2006, 01:37:15 PM »
You've got your answer to the question raised in this thread.  Our offer to answer your other questions concerning our books and research still stands -- but as Rob and Bob don't want FOTR discussed here, you'll have to have them answered on our board.  If you continue to refuse to post there, perhaps RealAnastasia or others could ask your questions for you?

I just think it would be nice for everyone if you would ask these questions -- which must be of great importance to you -- so that Greg and I can answer them --

I think everyone might like that very much indeed...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:49:08 PM by Alixz »
"Don't do anything by half. If you love someone, love them with all your soul. When you go to work, work your ass off. When you hate someone, hate them until it hurts."  -- A Piece of Good Advice

Sometimes the truth hurts. And sometimes it feels real good. -- Henry Rollins

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2006, 04:36:57 AM »
Wow, hey you two girls have done some great research work. And have written well defined and articulate works.  I’ve enjoyed reading the works that you two have done. Seems to me that it’s better to perhaps work out your problems. Because in the end you both produce some great works.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:50:54 PM by Alixz »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2006, 07:46:57 AM »
Wow, hey you two girls have done some great research work. And have written well defined and articulate works. to bicker between one another is pointless. and such a waste of great creative energy. I’ve enjoyed reading the works that you tow have done. Seems to me that it’s better to perhaps work out your problems. Because in the end you both produce some great works.

Thank you Mazukov
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:59:04 PM by Alixz »

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2006, 10:18:34 AM »
The questions was asked.  The question was answered.

What's next?

Let me suggest another BEAR PARTY.  I"ll being the HONEY pots.  Maybe,  Helen will join us this time  and discover we're not her enemies.  I believe we are all posters who are interested in the same subject, the  Romanovs.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

AGRBear

« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 10:29:29 AM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152