Author Topic: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I  (Read 141062 times)

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
Re: Empress Elizaveta Alekseevna, wife of Alexander I
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »

Elsabeth Alexeievna by Elisabeth Vigée-Lebrun about 1796 (Hermitage Museum):

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:34:02 AM by Svetabel »

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 07:19:56 AM »
Last weeks, I was searching for info about tsar Alexander I and I began to wonder myself about his long-standing mistress, Maria Naryskhina, born Maria Swiatopolk-Czetwertynska. Alexander had another women, but Maria seems to have been a favourite during more than thirteen years and she borne him two daughters and one son.

Elizabeth Alexeyevna, born Louisa of Baden, was a beautiful creature, with a gentle and compassionate nature, clever mind and sweet manners. It´s so strange the way Alexander neglected through the years the alluring tsarina. I´m interested in pictures and info about Maria...

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2007, 10:43:17 AM »
Yes, he did neglect her quite a bit at first, despite the fact the marriage was said to start out a love match, even if arranged for dynastic reasons. I have read that they just didn't have much to sustain it, and even though the Tsarina was alluring, he went out and had that mistress, and she was certainly bound to Prince Adam C( whatever his name is), through the years. In the end, their marriage did become closer, when they both were getting older. They didn't die so far apart, either. Elizabeth certainly didn't have any problems with his affairs, but maybe she herself didn't understand why he didn't feel what he perhaps should have for her. He had a very beloved daughter by that mistress, who died at 18, and that caused him great distress. I don't think the other children even lived to be that old.

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2007, 08:10:53 AM »
I know there are one old thread on Elizaveta and another thread on the death of Alexander I containning a good deal of valuable information, but I wish to start a discussion about the end of the empress.

I was reading the entry on Wikipedia about Elizaveta (=Louise Marie Auguste of Baden), when I was touched by these words written by the empress to her mother three days after the misterious death of Alexander: "Do not worry too much about me, but  if I dared, I would like to follow the one who has been my very life". These words made feel deeply impressed, cause the couple Alexander&Elizaveta had such a strange relationship...they were ofter near, often far away, sometimes so close, sometimes so apart one from another, and, at the end, they shared a strong bond and a misterious fate.

What do you think about this?

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
Hi Yseult.  Good choice of post.  I've always found Elizabeth an interesting character, and her relationship with her husband was interesting too. 

It must have been very bewildering for a girl of only about fourteen from the minor state of Baden to marry the heir to the Russian Empire, particularly as her younger sister came with her to marry Alexander's brother, Constantine, but was then sent home again (though she later married Gustavus IV of Sweden so she still made a grand match!).  Judging from portraits, Elizabeth was a beautiful woman, and she seems to have been a charming and likeable one too, but for some reason her marriage to Alexander never seemed to work.  I think a lot of this must be down to Alexander who seems to have been a very enigmatic personality whom nobody seemed to know very well.  I suspect that Elizabeth would have liked nothing more than to have had a happy and faithful marriage but it was not to be, and the fact that none of her children survived infancy can't have helped strengthen the bond between them.

That said, they do seem to have remained friends and it's nice that they ended their lives being very close.   

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2007, 12:33:51 PM »
Well, I think Friederike of Baden had good luck when she was sent home again. Poor Juliana of Saxe-Coburg paid the price of marrying Constantine ;)
Turning back to Elizaveta, I find so touched the letters where she expressed her love to Alexander. Elizaveta was a neglected wife, she was really alone and she confessed her life had been a never ending winter. But she must have had a great heart and, for sure, she loved deeply Alexander.

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2007, 07:29:05 AM »
Yes, I think Frederika was lucky too - but only to a degree.  I don't think her marriage to Gustavus was very happy and they separated later in life.  I don't think Gustavus was the easiest of characters, but probably not quite as difficult as Constantine!

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2007, 03:44:09 AM »
Last weeks, I was searching for info about tsar Alexander I and I began to wonder myself about his long-standing mistress, Maria Naryskhina, born Maria Swiatopolk-Czetwertynska. Alexander had another women, but Maria seems to have been a favourite during more than thirteen years and she borne him two daughters and one son.

I´m interested in pictures and info about Maria...

Maria Naryshkina

Offline ivanushka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2007, 09:40:19 AM »
I've always got the impression that Elizabeth, though beautiful and sweet natured, was a little too placid a character for Alexander.  He seems to have been attracted to more high spirited women - and his favourite sister, Catherine, was also high spirited and very flirtatious.  It's nice that the two of them did seem to develop a close friendship, particularly towards the end of their lives.

Offline rusmila

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2008, 08:40:15 AM »
Alexander and Elizabeth didnt have a good marige.They be unhappy because Chaterina the Great wonted the marry Alexander when he ws young with Elizabeth.When they are marry he had a 16 and Elizabeth she had a 14.Elizabeth had a lovers name Chartoriskiy and Ohotnikov and of course Alexander had a lover name Mariya Narishkina.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
Maria was born a Princess,did she and Elizabeth ever met eachother?And perhaps the marriage between Russian Grand Duke with Princess Swiatopolk would be treated like morganatic(similar case with Hohenzollern/Radziwill even though Radziwills had much more equal claims)?

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2008, 10:37:03 AM »
Maria was born a Princess,did she and Elizabeth ever met eachother?

Of course they met each other at the court balls and other official entertainments. Maria was once so tactless that said to the Empress about her pregnancy and the Empress certainly knew WHO was the causer of this pregnancy.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »
And perhaps the marriage between Russian Grand Duke with Princess Swiatopolk would be treated like morganatic(similar case with Hohenzollern/Radziwill even though Radziwills had much more equal claims)?

Yes, the Romanov/Swiatopolk marriage would be a mesalliance.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2008, 11:57:26 PM »
Thank you Sveta,interesting would be to know if Elizabeth hated her or no since she also had lovers and she could be at that time indifferent towards her estranged husbands mistresses...

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2008, 02:40:56 AM »
Thank you Sveta,interesting would be to know if Elizabeth hated her or no since she also had lovers and she could be at that time indifferent towards her estranged husbands mistresses...

I think the Empress could hate Maria but more likely Maria just disturbed her and Elizaveta felt humiliated by her husband who let his lover to behave tactlessly.