Author Topic: Main Staircase  (Read 8533 times)

Offline Dimitri

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Main Staircase
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:34:49 AM »
Did the Alexander Palace actually have a main staircase? it would seem strange if it didn't as all the other palaces such as the Winter, Peterhof and Catherine palaces all have them.
If it did have one what did it look like? 8)
England

Offline Antonio_P.Caballer

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Main Staircase
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 12:03:05 PM »
Hello Dimitri,
The Alexander palace was planned as a summer residence. Therefore the gala receptions rooms were all in the ground floor, having only an upper floor for the court attendants and servants, and a basement. There was no need for a gala staircase.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 07:39:29 PM »
Just curious--where WERE the staircases?  I've been looking on the site, just out of curiousity, but I can't find any reference to staircases...

Offline londo954

• Graf
  • Live Long and Prosper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 08:04:06 PM »
There were two sets of staircase inside the main entrance to the Imperial wing as well as the other wing and two set inside to the centre courtyard entrance just before Colonnade Hall. You can see them on the floorplan, they look like tiny ladders. I understnad there was also a staircase from Alezandra's Bathroom to the upperstairs childrens room. There may be other too

Offline nerdycool

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 09:53:51 PM »
In addition to what londo listed, there were 2 more sets right off of entrances B & C (I'm assuming the sets londo was talking about were the ones right before the Semi-Circular Hall.) To see the entrances, refer to the palace floor plans on this site.  :)

Offline Kevint1us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:30:28 PM »
Since this was a summer palace, it would explain why the few fireplaces in the various rooms were more ornamental than useful. With such high ceilings on the public floor, these fireplaces would have been ineffectual to say the least. Probably, other than maintenance staff, there wold have been little activity in the Palace in the winter months in its earlier days. There was a reason the Winter Palace was called the Winter Palace. The small staircases off the entrance to the Parade Rooms from the center court were, as suggested above, primarily for maids, ushers, attendants, etc. to access the upper floor where they were accommodated. Also, outer clothing, even summer wear, such as wraps, furs, etc. wold have been probably brought up there during the various receptions, dinners etc. which took place in the Alexander Palace in the summer months. I do not see any cloak rooms, etc. near that formal entrance. During inclement weather such as rain, etc. the two extended wings adjacent to the courtyard and each having coach drives would probably have provided a quicker entry into the Palace. Duirng the extensive remodeling of the Palace into a year-round residence such things as electricity, central steam heat, etc. was installed.