Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty > The Imperial Family

Disciplining the children

<< < (2/9) > >>

Sarai_Porretta:
I confess that I find it hard to imagine Nicholas whipping his daughters hard until they were screaming, it sounds so unlike him. I don't think the children were necessarily very afraid of their father, as all of them (except Tatiana) were closer to him than to their mother and considered him a friend as well as a father. However, they did respect him very much, and it is said that he was the only one that Anastasia and Alexei, at least, obeyed. I guess that sometimes "respect" for a parent does contain a little bit of fear (fear of punishments) for children, so in that sense they may have feared him when they were little.

Katia:
Of course we have to remember that corporal punishment of children was a commonly accepted custom one hundred ago! And later, too... Can't imagine loving parents like Nicholas and Alexandra to abuse their children though - if they were naughty, slapping them maybe, or pulling from hair. What I've read they usually talked to them seriously, if they did or said something wrong. I can imagine that Nicholas playfully whipped her daughters' legs, and they screamed half seriously, partly delighted "like pigs"!  ;)

lostfan:
When Alexei put the strawberry in the lady-in-waiting's shoe, I think Nicholas scolded him for it and he wasn't allowed to attend any more state dinners for a long time, although I'm not sure you could call that a punishment.  ::)

moonlight_tsarina:
Haha, i never heard that one either!
Where do you guys find out about this stuff?

felix:
From what I have read it always sounded like Olga got the most of it from her mother. Like the lunch with Grand Duchess Elizabeth M. When N&A expected her to control Alexis,while they were sitting there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version