Author Topic: Samoyeds and the Romanovs  (Read 14260 times)

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
Samoyeds and the Romanovs
« on: March 08, 2005, 10:14:19 PM »
After looking through as many topics and topic areas as I could, I was unable to find one which mentioned anything about the Samoyed dog which was favored by the aristocracy of Russia.  If there is a topic already addressing this, please forgive this new entry.

However, I thought members might be interested in the following:

In 1902, Princess de Montyglyon was in St. Petersburg, Russia, at a dog show when a Samoyed dragging its chain started following her, according to a book called The Complete Samoyed. The princess, who had chow chows and cocker spaniels, was captivated by the beautiful white dog that seemed to always smile.

The dog, a Russian champion named Moustan, was owned by the Grand Duke Michael, brother of Czar Nicholas II. The princess remarked that she would give anything for the dog, but she heard it was impossible to obtain the Siberian breed. Days later, the Grand Duke gave the champion dog to the princess as a gift, delivering it to her railway coach in a basket of orchids and roses.

Sincere regards,

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
Re: Samoyeds and the Romanovs
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 08:12:54 AM »
I don't have any pics of the Romanovs with them, but I have seen pics of the Yusupovs with them. Here is Zenaida with hers:

There is also a nice picture of teenage Felix with a large fluffy one, but I can't find it. Does anyone have it?

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:25:56 AM »
Yes, I have that one.  Unfortunately, I am not sure how to attach a photo to this reply.  I am afraid I am not very experienced at this.

Sincere regards,

Offline Abby

• Knyaz
  • July 18th 2005: 87 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:01:27 AM »
Aw! I have never heard this before, about the Samoyeds. Ver interesting! They are lovely dogs; all the ones I've seen have been so friendly and lively!

Offline Galactic_Misfit

• Currently living in the jetstream
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 01:35:22 PM »
Is this dog a samoyed?

The dog looks a lot like my Samoyed puppy, but they also look like my American Eskimo puppy. There is a very good chance that the dog is either a Samoyed or an American Eskimo. It's looks a bit more like a Samoyed, than an eski. It may be easier to tell if the picture is more close-up.

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 01:43:31 PM »
Maybe the  type of dog with Zinaide Yussupov call
Pomeranian dog?
("shpits" is the russian name of this type of dog)
As far as I know, Samoed is the name of the ethnic group of people, as well as escimo.

Offline Galactic_Misfit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 02:01:08 PM »
Pomeranian dog?
As far as I know, Samoed is the name of the ethnic group of people, as well as escimo.

It could very well be a Pomeranian, but it seems a little big to be one. Like I said before, it's a little difficult to tell the difference, unless you can see their face clearly. Eskimos and Samoyeds are both what you would call working dogs, as they are both sled dogs that were used to pull the sleds of the Inuit (a native group from the Northern territories of Canada, and Alaska) and other native groups, hence the name "eskimo". It's almost like the  similarity of the Siberian Husky and the Alaskan Malamute.

Offline moonlight_tsarina

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Inside the Palace Gates
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 03:02:38 PM »
Pomeranian dog?

No, I'm a really big dog person and Spitz and Samoyed are actually two different dogs. (But they are still very close together).
The Samoyed probly came from the Samoyed people in the arctic, hence the name "Samoyed".
However, Samoyeds aren't very good with large families, and they cling to just 1 or 2 members of the family, so I think that's why the last IF never really had an abundance of them. They seemed to favor spaniels.
Check out my site!

www.freewebs.com/moonlight_tsarina

"Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil...but only love." -Olga Nikolayevna

Offline Galactic_Misfit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 03:49:42 PM »

No, I'm a really big dog person and Spitz and Samoyed are actually two different dogs. (But they are still very close together).
The Samoyed probly came from the Samoyed people in the arctic, hence the name "Samoyed".
However, Samoyeds aren't very good with large families, and they cling to just 1 or 2 members of the family, so I think that's why the last IF never really had an abundance of them. They seemed to favor spaniels.

Exactly. They're a lot like American Eskimos, who get really attached to a few people, but not a large group.

Offline Shvibzik

• Graf
  • Bling it on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 04:02:42 PM »
Hi
This may seem a silly question, but why did the Romanovs favor spaniels so much?  I know that Tatiana also had a French bulldog, Ortino, and wasn't Shvibzik a Japenesse-Chin?  Alexei had Joy, who was a spaniel, as well as Jimmy, Ansastia's dog.  I heard somewhere, as well, that Nicholas owned a spaniel too.

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 10:00:06 PM »
Jemmy was not Anastasia's dog; s/he (I forget if Jemmy was a he or she) was Tatiana's. :)

Nicholas had some collies too I think.  Some people just tend to prefer different dogs!

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 10:03:57 PM »
I thought that Samoyeds were bigger than this, more like the size of Siberian Huskies! I thought they were used as sleigh dogs too, but they look too small in these pictures. Maybe I am getting them confused...

Offline crazy_wing

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 12:51:56 AM »
I thought that Samoyeds were bigger than this, more like the size of Siberian Huskies! I thought they were used as sleigh dogs too, but they look too small in these pictures. Maybe I am getting them confused...

You are right!  Samoyeds and Huskies are both big dogs that are used to pull sleighs.  

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 11:25:59 AM »
In general, Samoyeds range from 40-55 pounds.  You can get larger ones.  The one shown in the picture is not out of range of a Samoyed.  Yes, it could also be a Spitz.  Is that Michael or Nicholas holding it?  My first guess would have been Nicholas, but I've seen a picture that was marked as Michael and he looked just like he does here.

Having owned three Samoyeds, I'm surprised to hear that they don't necessarily do well with large families.  They will pick a few favorites in the family, but they are very loving family dogs who are wonderful with children.  As a matter of fact, the Eskimos brought them up as "baby sitters" and reindeer herders.  Their herding instinct has survived intact - they'll herd toddlers and other family members.

While the size of the one shown in the picture makes one think the dog could be a Spitz or American Eskimo, there's something about the face (the snout, in particular) that makes me believe it is indeed a Samoyed.

Remember, too, that breeds change a little over time, as breeders focus on particular traits they wish to keep or integrate into a line.

Sincere regards,

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 11:30:12 AM »
By the way, thank you very much for posting that picture.  I was hoping to find one which might show a Romanov Samoyed.  Now that I look at it again, I am convinced it is a Samoyed - I've seen that particular expression too many times on two of my dogs.  They are incredibly sensitive dogs who can sometimes get a bit nervous.  Perhaps that is what one of the members was alluding to before.

Sincere regards,