Author Topic: Imperial Family's Guest Quarters  (Read 10441 times)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
Imperial Family's Guest Quarters
« on: March 10, 2005, 01:51:18 PM »
Where would visting members of the Imperial Family and possibly royal visitors from abroad stay when in Tsarskoe Selo?  Were there apartments set aside in The Catherine Palace (besides Elizabeth's rooms and the right wing of the Alexander Palace)?  If so, where would they be located and who would have stayed there?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jfkhaos »

Offline Nevsky-man

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Family's Guest Quarters
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 07:45:16 PM »
I can give some names as far as the part of your question that asks who would stay in the guest quarters: Alix's sisters, Irene and Victoria, and her brother Ernie, and their respective families. I can't recall if in any of my reading it is specified where they were housed. It would make sense for them to have been housed in the Alexander but I gather that the Alexander was considered "small". - Nevsky-man
Nevsky-man

Offline BarefootContessa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 11:55:42 AM »
I know this is an older topic, but I have another (semi!)related question.  I read that the wedding of Princess Militza and GD Peter took place in Peterhof, and was wondering where Militza's parents, Nikola and Milena, would have stayed.

Thank you!

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:39:22 PM »
The Alexander had guest rooms in the wing  opposite the family wing, but I think these were reseverd for close family. The Catherine had  a whole wing just for guests. And Peterhof had some guest rooms,  But I think was rarely used to house anyone by that time. It was used for ceremonial functions mostly from what I have read. The auxiliary palaces were available though. And Oranienbaum is close by. Of course, in St.P. itself, the Winter Palace had pleanty of space and the Grand Ducal palaces were also available to house guests.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Miss the kings, but not the kingdoms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 04:56:32 PM »
I believe the English Palace (now destroyed) in the Catherine Park was often used for visiting royals.  Sometimes visiting royals were also housed in the larger imperial residences, such as when Wilhelm II while still the Crown Prince of Prussia was lodged in the Winter Palace when representing his family on a dynastic occasion of some sort.  (I cannot remember the occasion, but I remember that Wilhelm complained of the overheating of his quarters and difficulty of opening the double-cased windows enough to get some fresh air.)

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:26:32 PM »
Why was it called "The English Palace"? I am curious, and despite the fact that my pride took a beating when you pointed out that there have, in fact, been two Empress Catherines in Russian history, I know you will be able to explain it!
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 01:57:39 AM »
The English Palace, built by Quarenghi c1781-89, was located in Peterhof and used as guest quarters. It was destroyed during the war.

Joanna

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 10:39:53 AM »
See, Louis Charles.  I might have known there were two Catherines, but Joanna had to straighten me out on where the English Palace was.  (Sometimes my memory fails me in trying to resurrect the most straightforward of facts.)

As for why it was named the English Palace, here is my thinking . . . .  Quarenghi had been doing a lot of work for English clients in the new "English Palladian" style at the time he was recommended to Catherine II as someone she should bring to Russia.  His first major commission for Catherine was this palace, which signalled the break Catherine was going to make with the overwrought Russian baroque as she transitioned imperial architecture to simpler neoclassical models.  To Russian eyes acclimated to the elaborate themes of the prevailing imperial architecture, Quarenghi's new creation reflected something more sober and regular -- in a word, more "English".

I could be wrong, though. 

Offline Louis_Charles

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 10:59:31 AM »
You?  Never!  ::grins::
"Simon --- Classy AND Compassionate!"

"The road to enlightenment is long and difficult, so take snacks and a magazine."

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »
According to Bob, the English Palace was so called more because of the grounds and gardens, which were in the English style of Capability Brown, and it was set in those gardens as an English Palace would have been.

Offline Tsarfan

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
Makes sense.