Author Topic: Where do you come from?  (Read 189582 times)

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you come from?
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
Thanks for asking, Edubs [?] My early years were in Gettysburg.  then D.C. and London. But no matter where I was at school, I came back to Gettysburg for school holidays. The Gettysburg relatives were Greek & Russian,  though, so that is where some influence came from.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 09, 2012, 06:04:54 AM »
Fairly dull answer here. I'm English and of entirely English ancestry. However, I've moved about a lot in this country. My father was in the Royal Air Force and I was pretty much born on the move (he had a sudden posting and my mother was living temporarily with my grandmother at the time of my birth).

Now living in Plymouth, but who knows for how long!

Ann

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:59 PM »
Philadelphia, Pa here. Living just outside of the city to be technical...

Because I was both very interested in knowing the breakdown of where the contributors to the AP forum are coming from and because I'm an uber nerd, I decided track each response the best I could. I've estimated the following...

USA/Canada - 41.4%
Europe - 33.5%
UK/Ireland - 9.5%
Russia - 3.6%
OTHER - 12.1%

For those who claimed to be born/raised in one particular country but are currently residing in another I gave a half credit to the country of origin and a half credit to the country of residence. I really wish I had broken things out by more individual countries. When I first started tracking responses I didn't realize so many of us were from Germany, Netherlands, Canada (separately), etc. But at least this gives a rough estimate for those, probably very few, who are interested!

Very interesting, edubs, but that percentage for the US/Canada seems surprisingly low. And is it derived from origins mentioned on this thread? Really hard to say if this topic's respondents are typical of the whole forum. Mayhap not. And how far back did you go to get your data? Just wondering. Anyway, good effort. It's always fun to try to place a poster from their posts or name.

BTW, I'm from upstate New York, near the PA border, and earlier from Long Island,NY. How exotic...
Rodney G.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 18, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Good observation, Rodney G.
 They way I look at it, posters should tell where they are coming from.  I do not care about age and all that, but just what the perspective is from their own location, education, et alia. It might be a way of understanding why some posters may look at things.
 I think FA would know from registration, but, this is ultimately none of our business.
 For instance,  who, claiming a  nom de interent  as Grand Duchess of this or that would want  the rest know that he/she might be from the bum-tacky-tacky hinterlands ?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:39:23 PM by Robert_Hall »
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 18, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
lol, that's amusing Robert...and yes I agree it's really none of our business.

But to answer your question Rodney I actually did go back to the very first page of this topic thread and did my best to track all responses. This is not highly scientific of course and it's possible that I counted a few people twice who may have posted where they were from more than once (a couple of years apart perhaps). Yet there is nothing to suggest it would heavily effect the percentages since it's just as likely that I copied down the same person who twice posted "Germany" as I did mistakenly for someone who claimed more than once that "Chicago" was their home...and so on.

It's also quite possible that this thread doesn't contain an accurate enough sample to be representative of the AP at large. But you don't get much more direct with your "survey" question than to title things "Where do you come from?", lol. But I'm sure there are many current members who haven't posted about where they're from, just as quite a few are probably no longer active members on these forums. Was just for fun really...and you may be on to something about the USA/Canada figure being too low. Is it possible that people are less interested in sharing where they are from, particularly when they assume they are already in the majority of the group, then to hear about the distant places where others are from? This might apply specifically to American members on this site. Some type of thought process along the lines of, "well I'm from NYC but who really cares since lots of people here are from the States...I'm more interested in knowing who is Russian, German, British, Italian, etc"
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 18, 2012, 02:37:48 PM »
edubs, you're hired as the Forum's resident reearcher as of today. Thumbs up! I agree there's likely a  mild bias at work here in favor of the exotic, though if you're from Dagestan or Sierra Leone, for example,  small town Pennsylvania might  appear pretty sophisticated.
Rodney G.

Offline IvanVII

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 18, 2012, 04:48:55 PM »
 I'm a typical Heinz variety American with Danish, German, French, English and Irish mixed blood.

I was born and raised in Southern California in the San Gabriel Valley area. As an adult I've had the pleasure however of living on Santa Catalina Island for 3 years and have been in Big Bear (mountains) for the last 6 years.

Vanya Ivanova

« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2012, 10:49:54 AM »

I am from the UK (the roman city of Bath, Somerset) my Dad is half Russian and half Scots and my Mum was half Danish, half English and my christian name is greek (which is actually Thea not 'Vanya') so i am a real mongrel!. My Dad's mother is my Russian connection, her family fled Russia in the early 1920's first to France then England. I am going to Russia for the first time this august and hope to hook up with some of my relations.

Great thread by the way really interesting hearing where people are from.

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #503 on: February 23, 2012, 12:12:10 PM »
I am from Scotland, but I originate from London.

I have Irish, English and Austrian ancestry :)

Offline Padawan Ryan

• View Profile
    • Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur
« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
I'm from Northern Ontario, in Canada. I was originally born in Vancouver (Southern BC) but we moved across the country when I was eight and a half.

My ancestry is mostly just English, and Scottish. I'm not sure of anything else. My sister's in-laws are Russian though, so my niece has English and Russian ancestry.
Padawan of the V'tosh Ka'tur. Social Work graduate, History student.

Offline Emperor of the Dominions

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 23, 2012, 08:36:56 PM »
Just discovered this thread! If anyone's interested, I was born in London and now live in Dorset by the coast (we still get the occasional news via passing ship ;o)).  My ancestry is Scottish / German with some English.
God save the Queen !

Offline amelia

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 24, 2012, 01:29:54 PM »
I was born in Madeira Island - I am from Moorish descent. I have traveled the World and lived in many Countries with my husband job. I live in Philadelphia and Florida.

By the way, Emperor Karl of the Austrian/Hungarian Empire is buried in Madeira Island and I have visited his tomb when I was a child.

Amelia

Offline Ortipo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 31, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »
тяв-тяв,

Scots/Irish/Cherokee living smack in the middle of the continental U.S.
тяв-тяв

Offline GD Sophia

• "Great Belin!" ~Fflewddur Fflam
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #508 on: September 03, 2012, 04:26:32 AM »
Salam and hello from the surprising Singapore.

I have mixed Malay-Chinese-Filipino roots, because my mother is a Malay and my father is a Filipino-Chinese.

On holidays, I live in Johore Baharu, Malaysia.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 04:35:18 AM by GD Sophia »

A bookworm and a resident of Prydain, Hogwarts and Redwall.

Offline Bryndis

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 16, 2012, 05:55:10 PM »
I'm from Iceland and I have never found a single book about the Romanovs in book stores here  >_<
Greetings btw ;D