Author Topic: Queen Isabel (Isabella) II of Spain and her family  (Read 144828 times)

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
Re: Queen Isabel (Isabella) II of Spain and her family
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
This little girl was Isabel, was more than an infanta of Spain, daughter of the queen Isabel II: she also was seen as of Princess of Asturias, this mean, the presumptive heiress of the throne, for a first time before the birth of her younger brother Alfonso (later Alfonso XIII) and for a second time before the birth of the firstborn daughter of Alfonso, Maria de las Mercedes.

She was always very close to Alfonso, her brother, and she was really supportive to her first cousin and sister-in-law Maria de las Mercedes, but, later, she was in good terms with Maria Cristina of Austria. King Alfonso XIII and his sisters loved so much their aunt Isabel.
By the way, she din´t get along well with her sister Eulalia. The two woman were the opposite. Isabel had a great sense of her role, she never understood Eulalia taste for breaking the rules. But Isabel was a charming woman, gentle and with an excellent humour, and all the spanish people loved her deeply.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:33:01 PM by trentk80 »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2007, 08:15:18 PM »
Infanta Doña Isabel de Borbón y Borbón of Spain (1851-57 and 1874-80 Heiress Pressumptive )
The daughter of Isabel II she was the heir until the birth of her brother, Alfonso XII and after his succession to the throne until the birth of his daughter in 1880. Before her marriage to Prince Gaetano of the Two Sicilies, an act was drawn up for his signature which would require him to renounce the Two Sicilies Throne if his wife became Queen of Spain - to prevent the union of the Spanish Crown and “Italian dominions” as required under the Pragmatic Decree of 1759. Gaetano was created an Infante of Spain but was never required to sign the act undertaking to renounce which remains, unsigned, in the Family Archives in Naples. He died in 1871 without leaving issue. Isabel lived (1851-1931)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:33:15 PM by trentk80 »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
courtesy of cimbrio on the Infanta Eulalia thread:

Out of Isabel II's surviving daughters (Isabel, Paz and Eulalia), the two latter were closer, due to their age, upbringing and marital status, since Isabel was a young widow when Paz and Eulalia were still very young. Though Eulalia lived at the Spanish court for many years even after her marriage, she visited her sister Paz in Nymphenburg on a yearly basis; Eulalia took every chance she could to go to Berlin to visit her old friend, Kaiser Wilhelm, whom she met at QV's Jubilee in 1887. According to her Memoires, in the Potsdam palace there are several rooms nicknamed "the infanta Eulalia's rooms".

Infanta Isabel was brought up in a strict, conservative court in Madrid. She was nineteen when her mother was overthrown, while Eulalia was just four and hardly remembered Spain when she came back in 1876 with her mother and sisters (Pilar died unexpectedly in 1879). Paz was always on good terms with both her sisters, but there was constant friction between Isabel and Eulalia due to their different education and moral standards. Even so, when Isabel died in France in 1931, Eulalia was at her deathbed... Paz died in 1946 and Eulalia in 1958.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Yseult

• Knyaz
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 18, 2007, 03:02:19 AM »
The marriage was not a succesful one. The spanish court was convinced about Isabel marrying Philip, duke of Flandes, but the belgian court choose another princess for their king Leopold I´s brother, Marie of Hohenzollern-Sigmarigen. So, queen Isabel quickly arranged the engagedment between her elder daughter and Gaetano. They were married on 13 May 1868 and, after the wedding, they fled from Spain for the honeymoon. It was not a sweet honeymoon, by the way: Isabel discovered her husband was epilectic and a depressed man. When they were involved in these sad few months of marriage, the revolution of 1688 broke up in Spain. In september, just four months after Isabel´s wedding, queen Isabel, her husband Francisco de Asis and the other children went into exile, to Paris.
Isabel was only twenty and Gaetano twenty-five, he commited suicide in Lucern, Switzerland.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:33:43 PM by trentk80 »

Offline umigon

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • My Family Tree
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:56 AM »
Alfonso XII used to say that his sister Isabel represented the pride of the family; Pilar, the sweetness; Paz, the calmness; and Eulalia, the happiness. An accurate description for all of them, I would say. He would have known better than anyone, of course.
Gonzalo Velasco Berenguer

My Family Tree: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=umigon

Royal Families: www.tribalpages.com/tribes?userid=gondan

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2007, 07:35:12 PM »
Good quote indeed ! Thanks ! Sad that sweetness was the first to go in a family that needed it much.  :(

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »
A wonderful quote from Queen isabella II about her wedding day. " What can you say of the groom who wore more lace than the bride"
Interestingly two of her sisters-in-law eloped with their lovers.
 Poor Isabel ran off with Count Gurowsky and no marriage certificate can be found.  After 8 children he deserted her for Poland and she was found as a tramp in Paris .
 Her sister Josefina ran away with a penniless Cuban radical and had 3 sons who were later created marquesses.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2007, 11:20:54 PM »
These are indeed "hot" infantas that cannot keep their passion under control... :o

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2008, 02:25:28 PM »
I am always amused how many portraits of Isabel II had been painted during her life-time! Good to be a Queen  :)

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56:17 AM »
The Infanta Isabel as young woman:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Maria_Isabel.JPG

Very nice  ;)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »
She was a serious girl and lived a tragic life with her husband, who killed himself. As she was once the Princess of Asturires (heiress to the throne) before her brother was born and was second in line (if her brother dies without heir). She was dutiful and proper...

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2008, 12:54:52 PM »
I read in some other royalty forum about Gaetano`s  Sexuality. Is it true that he was caught with another man by Isabel?

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »
Not sure about that. However he was constantly ill and poor Isabel played nurse throughout their marriage...

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #118 on: September 13, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
I never saw a picture about him till today and yes, he looked very ill in those i saw. Poor Chabela...

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 13, 2008, 02:18:51 PM »
Indeed a bad match...looked good only on paper. She did not marry again after his death.