Author Topic: Antonio de Orleans and Eulalia de Borbón, Infantes of Spain  (Read 74732 times)

YaBB_Jose

Re: Antonio de Orleans and Eulalia de Borbón, Infantes of Spain
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
What book are you referring to ?

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »
Ricardo Mateos Sainz Medrano's book on Infanta Eulalie.  ;)

Valmont

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »
I don't hink ehr memoirs were written by someone else, because there are many "errors" derived from her great knowledge of French (she sais, for example, something is "bizarro"-when she means "extrano"; the French word "bizarre" or the Spanish "version" she created do NOT exist in Spanish. Stuff like that). There are many errors of fact, such as talking about her sister Pilar's actions at a ball, when he'd been dead for a few years already. On the whole, however, I think the book's great because she talks about her meetings with the Kaiser (whom she liked very much), with the Czech Prime Minister, Nicholas and Alexandra, etc. I reccomend it even if it's just to read some passages, I have the book and find it one of the best I posess :)
PS-She was nicknamed at Court "the Republican" for her moden, liberala nd pro-feminist ideals, though she got on OK with most of ehr family. Perhaps there was qute a bit of friction with ehr eldest sister Isabel.

The word "BIZARRO" does exist in Spanish. and it is used on both, Spain and Latin America. Please check the "real Academia Española" dictionary...

Arturo Vega-Llausás

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2008, 09:45:32 AM »
Wonder how was her relationship with her younger son ?

Anton

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:11 PM »
Wonder how was her relationship with her younger son ?

According to the books about him I’ve read his relationship with his mother Infanta Eulalia had its ups and downs. When Luis Fernando and his brother Alfonso were at a boarding school in England he wrote many letters to her mother expressing his devoted love and dreams about living with her. When he left school his relationship with his mother deteriorated and he went to live to Paris with his father Antonio d’Orléans and his lover Carmela. Eulalia hated Luis Fernando’s idea of being an actor and joining a theatre company in America. She wanted him to take charge of the estate he had inherited in Castillejo and didn’t like it when Luis announced his intention to stand for Deputy in Valencia. Despite her liberal attitude and thinking, Eulalia never accepted Luis’ homosexuality.
Luis used to comment about his problems with his good friend the Countess Blanche of Clermont-Tonnerre: “My father Don Antonio detests me and doesn’t give me any money. Keep your millions, I tell him. My mother hates me, every time I have a friend she tries to take him away, she’s jealous of my success.”
They shared the passion for handsome men. Luis Fernando’s inseparable companion, a portuguese called Antonio de Vasconcellos, had also been Eulalia’s lover. At one time, when he was seriously ill, both mother and son took care of him.
It seems their relationship improved over the years. In the late 20s, when Luis Fernando was determined to marry a millionaire who let him re-enter in France (he had been expelled in the mid-twenties by the French authorities and stripped from his title of ‘Infante’ by his cousin King Alfonso XIII in 1924) Eulalia took an active part. She announced, at the Hotel Plaza in Paris, the wedding of Luis and Mabelle Gilman, a former American actress who lived at a French Chateau thanks to the millions she got after her divorce from William Corey, a steel magnate. Luis and Mabelle (eight years his senior) had been good friends for a long time but the marriage never took place apparently for Mabelle’s refusal to leave her chateau for a more modest place in San Remo, Italy where Luis was living. An year later, Luis Fernando announced his marriage to a richer (an older) woman, Marie Say, Princess Amedée of Broglie who was 32 years his senior (!) Marie decided to announce the wedding to her mother-in-law, Infanta Eulalia, with a letter ending in the following sentence: “I will always be your respectful and devoted daughter” (The ‘daughter’ was seven years older than her ‘mother’).

Here’s a link of some interesting stories about Luis Fernando de Orléans l'enfant terrible

http://mrsastor.com/2008/04/by-end-of-19th-century-almost-anyone.html
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 06:39:44 PM by trentk80 »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
In her memoirs Eulalia talks with love and respect about the Montpensiers, esp. about Duke Antoine whom she considered a good friend.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:18:37 AM by trentk80 »

REMI

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2008, 07:16:47 AM »
But she does not talk withe the same love and respect about her husband, don Antonio de Orleans Borbon "infante de gracia", duke of Galliera

REMI
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:18:58 AM by trentk80 »

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2008, 08:07:48 AM »
Indeed. Obviously she was more fond of his parents who in their turn wanted a suitable wife for their son.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:19:22 AM by trentk80 »

paola

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2008, 08:16:06 AM »

Eric, when  it will be published Ricardo Mateos Sainz Medrano's book on Infanta Eulalie? I know it will be one  in September Jose Zavala,  "La Infanta Republicana: Dona Eulalia de Borbon".

REMI

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
Eulalia  married  Antonio because her brother the King asked her to do it as a duty. In 1886, the sucessors were not numerous and could die any time. Alfonso XII had only two girls. His sister, La Chata had no children and his other sister Paz of Baviera, married in 1883, had only a son in march 1886 when Eulalia got married.

REMI

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »
Really ? Ricardo has not told me a date yet, his next book would be about Queen Sophia of Spain...

Indeed ! Alfonso XII had an affection for Montpensier due to his love for Mecedes, but I don't think Isabel II would be pleased...

Eric_Lowe

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
Eulalia was a rare bird of paradise! She was a daredevil in a world of conformity. Eulalia had an eventful life unlike La Chata who stick to the rules...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:20:17 AM by trentk80 »

YaBB_Jose

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »

Eric, when  it will be published Ricardo Mateos Sainz Medrano's book on Infanta Eulalie? I know it will be one  in September Jose Zavala,  "La Infanta Republicana: Dona Eulalia de Borbon".

I was in Spain last week and I saw on sale a book on Infanta Eulalia by Jose Maria Zavala

http://www.casadellibro.com/libro-la-infanta-republicana-eulalia-de-borbon-la-oveja-negra-de-la-d-inastia/2900001266955

I just had  a glance at a  bookstore.

Her affair with king D.Carlos is widely mentioned as well as the letters the two have exchanged.
Eulalia admits D.Carlos was the only man she could ever consider getting married to, if he would not have a little "imperfection":

He was a king !

And Eulalia, for whom wearing a princely tiara was already so painful, would not dream of wearing a royal crown.

Those were her words :-)

YaBB_Jose

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »
Has anybody got a photo of her deboched's son L.Fernando wife, Mary Say ?

Thanks in advance.
[/quot

Hello! José.Go to realeza.foros.ws then indice de foros,casa real de España, Los Orleans Borbon. Page 3, you must find a photo de Luis Fernando with his very old wife, Marie Constance Say....

REMI

Does anybody know what happened to this site ?

Since this weekend it does not work anymore for me :-(

It had great pictures.

Yseult

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
I can´t imagine Eulalia giving a farewell to her son Luis Fernando, but...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:15:34 AM by trentk80 »