Author Topic: Olga Anecdotes  (Read 124682 times)

RomanovMartyrs

Re: Olga Anecdotes
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »
This one's precious!

From Margaret Eager:
"...We come to the Hermitage, with all its art treasures. In the picture gallery here is the finest collection of Rembrandts extant. One of these represents the visit of the Trinity to Abraham. I was one day looking at it, trying to make out what it meant, when the little Grand Duchess Olga ran up to me, and, putting her hand in mine, asked me what I was looking at. I told her; she then looked at it earnestly, and suddenly burst out laughing, exclaimed: "Oh! What a very funny picture - a man holding a leg of mutton in his hand, and carving it with a knife, and a bird sitting at the table." The bird, needless to say, was one of the angels. He is represented with his back out, and has neatly folded his blue-and-white feather wings..."

And I believe I've found a photo...

Someone correct me if the painting isn't right. :)

Offline Holly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • www.otma.org
    • View Profile
    • otmaa.org
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2010, 12:06:19 PM »
How cute. Thanks for posting the painting as well. That is the same one.  :)
"Господь им дал дар по молитвам их размягчать окаменелые наши сердца за их страдания..Мне думается, что если люди будут молиться Царской Cемье, оттают сердца с Божией помощью."

http://www.otmaa.org -- Coming Soon.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:50 PM »
Love the story and seeing the painting too! Marvelous!! Thanks!

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »
Thanks for successful finding the painting, RomanovMartyrs :-) I am thinking whether Olga recalled all about the amusing things she said when she was young. I could just imagine her laughing!

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2010, 12:00:44 AM »
Speaking of Olga saying amusing things, I believe that was a trait thought out her life. I recently saw this photo of her disembarking from a boat on the Dnieper River in 1916. The little cadet, Zehnya Makarov, is looking after Olga  and is laughing his head off from something she just said and it looks like Countess Hendrykova is behind her, laughing as well. It has to be funny for a little guy like that to laugh,turn his head and look you after you have passed .Sorry for the small size. If you have it bigger, you'll see what I mean even more. I believe this photo, along with another was recently up for sale. It was on that site, I could see the photo bigger somehow .

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Douglas

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2010, 12:41:01 AM »
Here is a larger restored version.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
Here is a larger restored version.
Thank you Douglas! I'm not surprised you have a photo that's  boat related!  ;)

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
Speaking of Olga saying amusing things, I believe that was a trait thought out her life. I recently saw this photo of her disembarking from a boat on the Dnieper River in 1916. The little cadet, Zehnya Makarov, is looking after Olga  and is laughing his head off from something she just said and it looks like Countess Hendrykova is behind her, laughing as well. It has to be funny for a little guy like that to laugh,turn his head and look you after you have passed .Sorry for the small size. If you have it bigger, you'll see what I mean even more. I believe this photo, along with another was recently up for sale. It was on that site, I could see the photo bigger somehow .

That's cool blessOTMA & Douglas !! Maybe Olga did something funny that they were laughing and looking at her xxDD.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »
That's cool blessOTMA & Douglas !! Maybe Olga did something funny that they were laughing and looking at her xxDD.
Olga also has that look on her face one gets when one's jokes gets a good laugh....bemused self satisfaction...lol! I noticed this scene when I enlarged the photo and the first one I saw was Zehnya Makarov,the cadet. His giggling expression and board smile stuck me. He was really looking at something....so when I viewed out, I could see who he was looking at as he laughed. It's not surprising. Olga was wiity.

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2010, 07:49:27 AM »
Olga also has that look on her face one gets when one's jokes gets a good laugh....bemused self satisfaction...lol! I noticed this scene when I enlarged the photo and the first one I saw was Zehnya Makarov,the cadet. His giggling expression and board smile stuck me. He was really looking at something....so when I viewed out, I could see who he was looking at as he laughed. It's not surprising. Olga was wiity.
For me it's surprising! I'm still learning about her personallity ^^. Hehe

RomanovMartyrs

« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2010, 06:54:06 AM »
It's been a few weeks since I read this thread in its entirety, so I apologize if any section of this has already been posted. Just came upon it while reading Six Years at the Russian court.

Margaret Eager, of course:

We went to St. Petersburg on the last day of the old year (Russian counting). On New Year's Day there was a great ceremony in the palace cathedral. The Emperor and Empress and the Dowager Empress went to church in state, accompanied by their own courts and all the grand ducal courts, all wearing full court dress. We saw the Empress when she was dressed; very magnificent she looked in her court dress of white satin with its long train of brocade, seven chains of diamonds round her neck, a girdle of the same sparkling gems round her waist, the ends falling to the hem of her dress. On her head she wore the kokoshnik, the crescent-shaped head-dress, in white brocade, lavishly decorated with large single stone diamonds. A rich lace veil depended from it and hung at the back almost to her knees.

The little girlies were delighted to see her so gorgeously attired; they circled round her in speechless admiration for some time, and suddenly the Grand Duchess Olga clapped her hands, and exclaimed fervently, "Oh! Mama, you are just like a lovely Christmas tree!" After divine service was finished there was a drawing-room, at which all the debutantes were presented.

The Grand Duchesses Olga and Tatiana Nicholaivna were fond of listening to stories. On one occasion Tatiana told Olga a story, the end of which was as follows: "So my little girl and my niece went into the wood and a big wolf ate my little girl, so she went to heaven." Olga was horrified at such theology. "Oh no!" she cried; "she could not have gone to heaven, because the wolf ate her, and God does not allow wolves to go to heaven. She is walking about the wood inside the wolf." The other child calmly accepted this wonderful correction. I found I had to be very careful in telling them stories. On one occasion I told Olga the story of Joseph and his brethren. She was deeply interested, and exclaimed, "What a shame!" I said, "Yes; it was indeed a terrible shame for them to be so jealous and so cruel to their young brother." She exclaimed, "I mean it was a shame of the father. Joseph was not the eldest, and the beautiful coat should have been given to the eldest son; the other brothers knew that, and perhaps that was why they put him in the pit." Explanations were useless; all her sympathies were given to Reuben. She was angry with King David because he killed Goliath, and said, "David was much younger and smaller, and poor Goliath never expected him to throw stones at him." "Jack the Giant Killer" gave her no pleasure; it upset her idea that might was right. Once there was a cinematograph exhibition for the children and some friends. One picture showed two little girls playing in a garden, each with a table before her covered with toys. Suddenly the bigger girl snatched a toy from the little one who, however, held on to it and refused to give it up. Foiled in her attempts, the elder seized a spoon and pounded the little one with it, who quickly relinquished the toy and began to cry. Tatiana wept to see the poor little one so ill-treated, but Olga was very quiet. After the exhibition was over she said, "I can't think that we saw the whole of that picture." I said I hoped the end of it was that the naughty big sister was well punished, adding that I thought we had seen quite enough as I had no wish to see anything more of such a naughty girl. Olga then said, "I am sure that the lamb belonged at first to the big sister, and she was kind and lent it to her sister; then she wanted it back, and the little sister would not give it up, so she had to beat her."

;)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
RomanovMartyrs, I love the Margaret Eager stories! ,....Thank goodness she wrote that book! .
and suddenly the Grand Duchess Olga clapped her hands, and exclaimed fervently, "Oh! Mama, you are just like a lovely Christmas tree!
Adorable. Also a child can give you no higher praise than that! lol!
....Tatiana wept to see the poor little one so ill-treated, but Olga was very quiet. After the exhibition was over she said, "I can't think that we saw the whole of that picture." I said I hoped the end of it was that the naughty big sister was well punished, adding that I thought we had seen quite enough as I had no wish to see anything more of such a naughty girl. Olga then said, "I am sure that the lamb belonged at first to the big sister, and she was kind and lent it to her sister; then she wanted it back, and the little sister would not give it up, so she had to beat her."
And here perhaps we see the beginnings of Olga's" swinish hand" as Anastasia called it years later, as she ran to avoid Olga's  smack!lol! See, Anastasia was picking her nose...so of course the big sister had to beat her lol!

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Beautiful_Anastasia

• Boyar
  • I love Chris Massoglia!!!!
    • View Profile
    • The Blackrock Panthers
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »
Olga Nikolaevna felt that the rights of elder siblings had to be protected, when she was told the biblical story of David and Goliath, she sympathized with Goliath instead of with David, and when told the tale of Joseph and the technicolour dreamcoat, she sympathized with the elder brothers instead of with Joseph.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2010, 11:13:44 PM »
I guess this is a Big Pair anecdote,  but  one day during the war years  after their hospital shift was over and due to some mishap, the girls were left without a lady in waiting for the drive home to AP. Probably for the  first  time in their lives, they were on their own out side the  palace walls . They made a break for it and told the driver to take them to the local shops! lol! They went  in one, but because they were in their uniforms, they were not recognized and I'll wager  they were not recognized  also because it was inconceivable  that HIH Olga and Tatiana Nicholaievna would be in a shop without a good number of attendees . But oops , they had not a kopeck  between them  and didn't really know HOW to buy items in a store anyway.  (That these  practical considerations were over looked, make me think it's was mostly Olga's idea lol! ) The next day they asked their nurse  friends, just  how does one buy items in a shop? But I love how they didn't just go home, but immediately seized the  opportunity !

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline EmmyLee

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »
Haha, thank you Annie, for sharing that anecdote. It shows that the girls, while they may have been sheltered from society, definitely weren't afraid to venture out into it. Especially if it offered an adventure and an escape. :)