Author Topic: Hohenzollerns & Romanovs--relationship  (Read 16675 times)

Offline GD Alexandra

• Graf
    • View Profile
Hohenzollerns & Romanovs--relationship
« on: March 21, 2005, 01:12:16 PM »
I would like to know how are the Hohenzollern family realated to the Romanov? I believe maybe is through the German (Hesse) side. But who's the person that conects them? Can anyone help?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Alexanastasia »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Hohenzollerns & Romanovs--relationship
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 04:54:21 PM »
Frederick William of Prussia (married to the famous Queen Louise)--Charlotte (Alexandra Feodorovna) m. Nicholas I of Russia--Alexander II--Alexander III--Nicholas II--OTMAA

Frederick William of Prussia (married to the famous Queen Louise)--Charlotte (Alexandra Feodorovna) m. Nicholas I of Russia--Alexander II--Marie m. Prince Alfred--Ducky m. Kyril--Kyra (m. Louis Ferdinand of Prussia)

Frederick William of Prussia (married to the famous Queen Louise)--Charlotte (Alexandra Feodorovna) m. Nicholas I of Russia--Alexander II--GD Vladimir--Kyril m. Ducky--Kyra (m. Louis Ferdinand of Prussia)

FW & Queen Louse--Wilhelm I of Germany--Frederick III m. Princess Victoria of Great Britain--Kaiser Wilhelm II--Crown Prince Wilhelm--descendants
including Louis Ferdinand

Frederick William III m. Queen Louise--Alexandrine m. Paul of Mecklenberg-Schwerin-- FRIEDRICH FRANZ II, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin -- FRIEDRICH FRANZ III m. Anastasia Mikhailovna of Russia

Anastasia Mikhailovna—Cecile—Louis Ferdinand m. Kyra
So there would’ve been Russian blood on the throne of Germany if not for the Revolution.

Other less distinct links included GDss Marie Alexandrovna being the aunt by marriage to Kaiser Wilhelm (Alfred & Vicky being siblings) and sister in law to Louise of Prussia (Duchess of Connaught).

As for the Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen line that was connected through the marriage of Ferdinand of Romania (his father being a H-S) marrying GDss Marie Alexandrovna's daughter Marie 'Missy'.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by grandduchessella »
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 07:53:44 PM »
Grand Duchess Ella,

Thank you for your time put into the above research.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 09:05:43 AM »
Also Kaiser Wilhelm I married Augusta of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, a granddaughter of Tsar Paul I of Russia (source: The Grand Duchesses, page 32)

Sophie of Prussia was married to Constantine of Greece, a grandson of Grand Duke Mikhail Nikolaievich (source The Grand Duchesses)

Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, a grandson  of Alexandrine of Prussia, was married to Grand Duchess Anastasia Mikhailovna of Russia - while their youngest daughter, Cecilie, married the Crown Prince of Prussia and this couple's second son, Louis Ferdinand, married Grand Duchess Kira Kirillovna of Russia. (Source: The Grand Duchesses, page 84)

Arturo Beéche
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Eurohistory »
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline GD Alexandra

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »
Oh! thank you so much for all your replies   :D, I'm a begginer on the matter of "Royal families" and I want to learn as much I can. :D  

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:14:39 PM »
Not to mention the current Pretender's (Kyra's niece Maria) heir, Grand Duke George is by birth a Hohenzollern (his father being a Prussian prince) as well as a Romanov.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by jackie3 »

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 07:24:52 PM »
Well, look at Tsar Peter III (husband of Catherine the Great). From the time of his birth, he could've been the King of Sweden, through his father, Duke of Hosltein (his father also) or Emperor of Russia, through is mother, Anna Petrovna. Thus, he became Tsar of Russia because he was not accepted as King of Sweden, but I'm not sure about Duke of Holstein.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 10:54:51 AM »
>Gen. One
Tsarevich Alexei, son of
>Gen. Two
Tsar Nicholas II and Alexandra, dau. of GD Louis IV of Hesse and Pr. Alice of Gr. Britian.  Alex. was the grandau. of Victoria, Queen of Gr. Britian b. 1819 and **Albert, Pr. of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha b. 1819.  Nicholas II was the son of
>Gen. Three
Tsar Alexander III, who was the son of
>Gen. Four
Tsar Alexander II, who was the son of
>Gen. Five
Tsar Nicholas I of Russia  m. *Pr. Charlotte of Prussia [House of Hohenzollern], who took up the name of Alexandra Feodorovna, dau. of
>Gen. Six
King Frederick Wilhelm  III of Prussia [House of Hohenzollern]  m. (1) Louise, dau. of Charles II, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.  Fred. Wilh. III was the son of
>Gen. Seven
King  Fred. Wilhelm II of Prussia [House of Hohezollern]  who was the nephew of Frederick II, the Great.
---

Wilhlem I's [House of Hohenzollern] sister was *Pr. Charlotte of Pussia [House of Hohenzollern], who became known as Alexandra Feodorovna,  m. Nicholas I of Russia [House of Romanov].
----
**Albert, Pr. of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha b. 1819 was the son of Ernest I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

AGRBear

PS:
...[in part]...
The connecting person was Princess Charlotte Luise of Prussia, daughter of King Frederic William III and Queen Luise (*1798 - 1860) who became consort of Tsar Nikolai I and got the Russian name Alexandra Feodorowna.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 10:25:06 AM »
Does anyone else have any pictures of Tsar Nicholas I of Russia's wife    *Pr. Charlotte of Prussia [House of Hohenzollern], who took up the name of Alexandra Feodorovna?

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Tasha_R

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 05:59:02 PM »
Would anyone have any pictures of Friedrich Franz III of Mecklenburg-Schwerin and GD Anastasia Mikhailovna and Cecilie?

In addition - the princes von Brauschweig, Georg and Ernst... or would it be more appropriate to ask that one in the Mecklenburg-Schwerin thread?

Thank you

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 02:27:08 PM »
They're often referred to as cousins, but was this their closest relationship?

Frederick William III of Prussia - Princess Charlotte of Prussia (Empress Alexandra Feodorovna) - Alexander II of Russia - Alexander III - Nicholas II

Frederick William III of Prussia - Wilhelm I of Germany - Frederick III of Germany - Wilhelm II of Germany

Oooh, and what about this?

Paul I of Russia -  Grand Duchess Maria Paulovna, Grand Duchess of Weimar - Princess Augusta of Weimar - Frederick III of Germany - Wilhelm II of Germany

Paul I of Russia - Nicholas I of Russia - Alexander II of Russia - Alexander III of Russia - Nicholas II of Russia

Were they related in any other ways?
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Chris_H

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 05:49:31 PM »
I think you got them all

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 06:34:48 PM »
Frederick William I of Prussia---Sophia of Prussia---Dorothea of Brandenburg-Schwedt---Sophia of Wurttemburg---Nicholas I---Alexander II---Alexander III---Nicholas II

and

Frederick William I of Prussia---Augustus William of Prussia---Frederick William II of Prussia---Frederick William III of Prussia---William I of Prussia---Frederick III of Prussia---William II
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 06:40:54 PM »
George I of England---George II of England---Frederick, Prince of Wales---George III of England---Edward, Duke of Kent---Queen Victoria---Victoria, Princess Royal of Great Britain---William II

and

George I of England---Sophia Dorothea of Great Britain---Augustus William of Prussia---Frederick William II of Prussia---Frederick William III of Prussia---Charlotte of Prussia---Alexander II of Russia---Alexander III of Russia---Nicholas II of Russia
--Cicero

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 06:43:34 PM »
I think there is also a common Hesse descent, but I don't have it within reach....

Maybe someone else has it....
--Cicero