Author Topic: Emperor Maximilian of Mexico & Empress Carlota (Charlotte of Belgium)  (Read 199375 times)

Offline guinevere

• View Profile
Re: Emperor Maximilian of Mexico & Empress Carlota (Charlotte of Belgium)
« Reply #165 on: August 02, 2006, 05:10:38 AM »
Dear MarieCharlotte,

could it be, that your Pic which is said to be Leopold I with Luise and Children is indeed Leopold II of Austria ( Son of Maria Theresia) and his Wife Marie Luise of Spain with their Children...?????

Offline MarieCharlotte

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Sophie Charlotte (1847-1897)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 03, 2006, 04:03:59 PM »
Dear MarieCharlotte,

could it be, that your Pic which is said to be Leopold I with Luise and Children is indeed Leopold II of Austria ( Son of Maria Theresia) and his Wife Marie Luise of Spain with their Children...?????

The pictures have already disappeared, but if you think of the same picture than I do (Leopold, Louise, two sons and one girl in colour), I can assure you that it shows Leopold I and his family. Leopold II. of Austria is always surrounded by at least 8 of his 16 children. :)
Ich aber breite trauernd aus
die weiten weissen Schwingen,
Und kehr' ins Feenreich nach Haus -
Nichts soll mich wieder bringen.

Elisabeth

Agneschen

« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2006, 10:00:31 AM »
Front and back view of the Castelletto in Miramare park where Empress Charlotte was interned after her return from Mexico :

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:18:54 AM by Agneschen »

Agneschen

« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2006, 10:08:11 AM »
Max's Denkmal in Miramare park :

Stairs leading to the jetty at the foot of Miramare castle - this is from this jetty that Max & Charlotte left to Mexico. On it stands a sphinx which Max brought back from one of his travels. Access to the jetty was not allowed (too bad ! the view on the castle must be impressive from there) so I could not go and photograph it properly sorry :

« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 10:18:29 AM by Agneschen »

Offline Sissi

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2006, 02:47:25 PM »
Charlotte is said to have been poisoned before she left Mexico. Once again there are several theories on how and why. According to some, she was poisoned because she meddled too much in political affairs and the men around her wanted to get rid of her. Some claim it was done because an heir was needed and Charlotte was reputed to be frigid - they thought that by drugging her, it would help in the matter. Others claim that it was done out of sheer jealousy by one of Max's Mexican mistresses.  It is said to be a poison, known in Mexico, which given in high doses, kills but, given in small doses, makes the victim go mad. All this seems rather fanciful to me but as there are no proof in one way or another, again, who knows ?

As for me, until further proof is brought to light, I will keep on thinking that the blackest and most utter despair caused her to loose her reason. Charlotte had a troubled childhood and her character altered a lot after she lost her beloved mother. She became moody & secretive, would not confide in anyone or let any of her thoughts sweat through. This worried her grandmother Queen Marie Amélie. I think she went through a lot of hardship in Mexico, both public (the Empire was sinking) and private (Max's estrangement from her, her father's death ...). She was lonely and isolated (people around her thought her regal but haughty & cold), with no friend to confide in, and probably depressive.  
She was only a woman and, as such, considered a political nonentity (when he realised that she handled public affairs better than he did, Max became very suspicious). Her husband was drifting away from her and she had no children to give a goal & meaning to her existence. The only thing she could cling to was the Mexican scheme. She was ready to bleed & fight for it (hence the memorandum she wrote to Max on the subject of abdication). When it began to loom on her that nothing could be done to save her empire, she must have felt the blow terribly. Besides, she was the one who had forced Max to accept the Mexican crown and probably felt guilty. I think it was too much for her and she simply let go. We are not equal in front of hardship - some people go through Hell and are still able to stand on their 2 feet while other break down at the simplest thing.
There is a very interesting book in French by Laurence van Yperseele called Une Impératrice dans la Nuit. It is a publication of letters Charlotte wrote after she lost her reason. Her failure in Mexico is omnipresent and seems to be coming up in her thoughts again and again.  In some of these letters, she imagines that she is turning into a man and says : "To become a man is like being born a second time". Maybe she thought that, had she been a man, she would have been allowed to deal with the Mexican affairs and could have save her empire from ruin. But she was just a woman.
There is still the theory that she was not mad but only pretended to be (60 years of pretence seems a pretty long time though). IMO A sane woman could not have written such letters. Reading them is a strange experience, highly interesting but they almost give you the creep.

Interesting! dear Agneschen what was your impression if we might know? do you think it is possible that she pretended to be mad (based on her letters)?

Beautiful pictures!!!
I had never seem that portrait of Charlotte!

Agneschen

« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2006, 03:05:12 PM »

No, I do not think that Charlotte pretended to be mad. How could one do so during 60 years ?! Besides, in my opinion, no (wo)man in his/her senses could have written such letters. She almost raves in some of them (claiming Napoleon III had 2 daughters named Magenta & Solferino, or that she had seen the devil with a squirrel tail ... etc). Yet she seems to have had some flashes of sanity now and then and a capacity to "foreshadow".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:39:04 AM by Svetabel »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2006, 03:30:55 PM »
a younger  Charlotte, painted while on a visit to QV at Osborne in 1852:

and about 70 years later on her deathbed

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Agneschen

« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2006, 05:32:31 PM »
Many thanks for this lovely portrait of young Charlotte gdella ! Do you know who painted it ? Was it commissioned by QV since it was painted during a stay Charlotte made in Osborne ?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:39:20 AM by Svetabel »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »
It was painted by John Phillip, who did a few family portraits for QV, in Nov 1852. Charlotte was on a visit to Osborne at the time, from Nov to Dec, and sat for the painter.  He did one of Feo of Hohenlohe-Langenburg (QV's niece) at the same time. Both were commissioned by QV--she actually had about 3-4 of Charlotte done by different painters over the years, I believe. Charlotte's portrait hung in Windsor then was moved to Buckingham Palace in 1980.

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2006, 02:24:13 AM »
Can anybody tell me what it was with the  illeg. son of Maximilian?  only rumours or is it proved?
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

David_Pritchard

« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2006, 02:47:53 AM »
I know of no illegitimate son. The Imperial couple did adopt the two grandsons of the first Mexican emperor Agustin as their heirs. It could be that you have come upon the rumour that it was Maximillian himself who was the natural son of Napoléon II, Duke of Reichstadt and Archduchess Sophia.

see this link: http://www.casaimperial.org/emperador.htm

Offline britt.25

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2006, 03:09:33 AM »
Max's  illegitimate was, Sedano y Leguizano,His Mother died shortly after Max's execution. On 10 10 1917, Like his Father.He  faced a firing squad. He die at 51 for spying for  Germany. Happy in the end,for the French called him at execution"Sedano,son of the  Emperor Maximilian of Mexico"

I was referring to this1 ???
La vérité est plus importante que l'amour

Marie Bonaparte (1882-1962)

Offline Prince_Christopher

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »
Can anybody tell me what it was with the  illeg. son of Maximilian?  only rumours or is it proved?

From The Cactus Throne, by Richard O'Connor: [in August of 1866, in Cuernavaca], a seventeen-year-old girl named Concepcion Sedano y Leguizano, the wife of one of the men who tended the Gardens of Borda, gave birth to a son.  She was one of the young women who slipped through the hidden gate in the garden wall and down a passage to Maximilian's private apartment.  The birth of the emperor's illegitimate son was confirmed in the history of the Mexican intervention written by Colonel Paul Blanchot, an officer on the French staff in Mexico City." (p.261).

And from The Crown of Mexico, by Joan Haslip: "...Concepcion Sedano gave birth to a son in August 1866, and died from grief a year later on hearing of the Emperor's execution.  The child is said to have been taken to France under the protection of the Bringas family, the wealthy hacendados in whose house the Emperor always stayed on his visits to Orizaba.  Nearly fifty years later, during the First World War, a man claiming to be the son of Concepcion Sedano by the Emperor Maximilian turned up in Paris, where he was accused of spying for the Germans and sentenced to death."  He was executed before a firing squad at Vincennes.  He also supposedly favored Maximilian.

I've read a little more about this man, the spy, but I can't find it at the moment.
Anyone who has a library and a garden wants for nothing.
--Cicero

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2006, 09:39:48 PM »
Wouldn't that be a tragic irony if he was Maximilian's son--death by firing squad.

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2006, 12:57:02 AM »
In The Empress of Farewells, it seemed she started to deteriorate near the end of her trip to the Yucatan.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.