Author Topic: Leopold II of the Belgians & Queen Marie Henriette (Archduchess of Austria)  (Read 108600 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I don't know where would I post this topic so I did it here!Does anybody know much more about this Queen of Belgium,born Archduchess of Austria-Hungary?

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
This is her only colour portrait I could find!Is there any other!I was also trying to post her Winterhalter portrait(black and white) but nothing came out of it!

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Still,nothing  :( I was just wondering if anyone has her colour Winterhalter portrait(there must be some of you from Belguim and I imagine there are a lot of her images in colour there)?Since I can't post this one because of bmp format maybe somre of you knows how to post this kind of picture!So if anyone want's to see it,I could send it by mail and then someone could post it here(if knows)!Thanks

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
by Winterhalter

one more portrait

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Marie Henriette - young spouse of Leopold II

With her only son Leopold (1859-69)

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
she was sent to Miramar, to bring Carlotta back to Belgium. She was very kind and took responsibility for her. and spent as much time with her as posible.  After Carlotta ws restored to health Marie Henriette, wrote a friend and said "You cannot imagine how beautiful she is now, never so beautiful before". She was as kind as her husband was  brutal. She must have had a sad life with him.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Thanks Svetabel for such pictures,specially for portraits!You know I love them!I was wondering if someone has her colour Winterhalter portrait since I can't find it anywhere on the web and just don't know why!  >:(

bluetoria

This is what Queen Victoria wrote of her in 1858 (5 years after she had married Leopold):

"[She]....is looking very pretty and is I think very sensible about herself and the child - but she is becoming very reserved and though I think there is no real love or affection between them - she never allows a word to be said against Leopold who in revanche is much kinder to her than he was and always praises her now."

After the death of her son, QV described her as having 'wonderful strength of mind and great faith' ...She must have had to put up with being married to Leopold!!

(Please can anyone tell me what did her son, Leopold, die of?)  

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Marie Henriette sounds like an outstanding woman! Taking care of her husbands family, a rough husband. While keeping herself grounded.

Offline Kostya

• The Greatest Poet!!!!!
    • View Profile
Can anyone give a bio on her of her childhood and marriage what did her husband do?  why is she a tragic figure?  

Thanks
But to lose heart, my friend, is sinful: Glance, as God peace it is excellent.

K.R.

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
And also if someone has her colour state potrait it would be great!

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page

Can anyone give a bio on her of her childhood and marriage what did her husband do?  why is she a tragic figure?  

Thanks

I don't know if I'd go so far as 'tragic' but she was a very unhappy and unfortunate individual. She was married off to an absolutely horrible husband--depraved, cold, cruel. She had to deal with his contempt and disparagement--esp when she produced only one son. When he died she was forced to return to his bed to hopefully crank out another and had to take his wrath when yet another daughter was produced. I'm sure that was a touching scene. He flaunted his infidelities w/o any regard to her feelings--just a wretched life. It took its toll and she developed a rather cold demeanor herself and was rather distant from her children.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Kostya

• The Greatest Poet!!!!!
    • View Profile

I don't know if I'd go so far as 'tragic' but she was a very unhappy and unfortunate individual. She was married off to an absolutely horrible husband--depraved, cold, cruel. She had to deal with his contempt and disparagement--esp when she produced only one son. When he died she was forced to return to his bed to hopefully crank out another and had to take his wrath when yet another daughter was produced. I'm sure that was a touching scene. He flaunted his infidelities w/o any regard to her feelings--just a wretched life. It took its toll and she developed a rather cold demeanor herself and was rather distant from her children.

if that is not a tragic figure what is?  seriously hers sound really sad to be dispised like that by her husband.  i would lke to know more she interests me alot.  please can i get a bio on her?
But to lose heart, my friend, is sinful: Glance, as God peace it is excellent.

K.R.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
I guess I meant 'tragic' as being dying horribly (like NAOTMAA) or something like that. Marie Henriette at least had 3 daughters who she chose to basically  push away (granted after having been worn down by Leopold II). I didn't mean to denigrate her life--it was certainly horribly unhappy.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/