Author Topic: Portraits, paintings,illustrations of NAOTMAA  (Read 282479 times)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Portraits, paintings,illustrations of NAOTMAA
« Reply #480 on: May 20, 2012, 12:39:09 AM »
When is the painting from? Seems strange that none of the females have head coverings. It looks like Alexei is having Communion first, followed by the Tsar.
  To me it looks like the Tsar  has already taken Communion and now the others will...starting with Alexei . It's interesting what you say about  the lack of hair covering for the females. This might be another case of a non Orthodox artist's work, perhaps for a newspaper etc.  There is a print of Olga's baptism that shows her parents there, holding her  and it seems in reality they would not be present .

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 20, 2012, 03:06:14 AM »
Depends on how soon after birth she was baptised. If it was within 40 days of giving birth, then certainly the mother can not be in Church, but no reason for the father not to be there.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 20, 2012, 08:37:39 AM »
When is the painting from? Seems strange that none of the females have head coverings. It looks like Alexei is having Communion first, followed by the Tsar.

I found it on a Russian newspaper site, dated 1911.  Again, I apologize for the confusion; I'm not very knowledgeable about the religious aspect.

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 20, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
Could you post the URL? Could be interesting to look it up.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: May 21, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
Could you post the URL? Could be interesting to look it up.

I'll try to find it, but no promises there...

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
Look - there is a colour photo of Kaulbach's 1903 portrait of Tatiana... (scroll down)
I thougt they were lost...

http://iamachild.wordpress.com/category/kaulbach-friedrich-august-von/
Meine Kaiserin

Vanya Ivanova

« Reply #486 on: May 23, 2012, 03:33:45 AM »
the 'portrait of a young girl' is of GD Maria not GD Tatiana

Offline Thomas_Hesse

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: May 23, 2012, 05:32:41 AM »
Looks like Maria - but it is Tatiana. The portraits of Maria and Anastasia were much smaller.
Meine Kaiserin

Vanya Ivanova

« Reply #488 on: May 23, 2012, 06:08:54 AM »
I'm sure you are right, but its labelled on this site in the Maple room section as Maria, however looking at photos of the corner of the Maple room where this was hung on the other side of the cabinet is another portrait of Maria in profile wearing a sailor type cap. Didn't Kaulbach visit in 1903 only? in which case the portrait of the young girl with white feather hat in your link would indeed be more about GD Tatiana's age. Do you know if he also took GD Olga's portrait?

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #489 on: May 23, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
I have mostly  seen that portrait referred to as Olga . I told the blogger that awhile ago.(but I don't see comments now) this is where the similarity of Olga and Maria can create havoc,  it could easily be either... But the portait of this group I have always known as Marie, has a merrier expression  and this one has an ironic slant ...both  seem quite characteristic if this was indeed Olga and the other was Marie lol!  Perhaps size is the only way to decied it , if the Small Pair indeed had smaller portaits

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: May 23, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »
I'm sure you are right, but its labelled on this site in the Maple room section as Maria, however looking at photos of the corner of the Maple room where this was hung on the other side of the cabinet is another portrait of Maria in profile wearing a sailor type cap. Didn't Kaulbach visit in 1903 only? in which case the portrait of the young girl with white feather hat in your link would indeed be more about GD Tatiana's age. Do you know if he also took GD Olga's portrait?
I happen to own a set of five antique Hanfstaengl reproductions of these portraits, each labeled at the back. (A complete set, except for the portrait of one of the younger girls.)
In this set, the "portrait of a young girl" shown at http://iamachild.wordpress.com/category/kaulbach-friedrich-august-von/ is labeled on the back as Olga, not Tatiana. The one labeled as Tatiana shows a girl wearing a sailor type of cap.
You can find pictures of both portraits in "The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse".  
The portraits of Maria and Anastasia are indeed smaller in size. The girls also look considerably younger than Olga and Tatiana, both in their appearances and in their dresses.  
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 09:02:30 AM by Helen »
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
Thank you, Helen , that is so helpful!  Yes now that you mention it, for an example ,the small pair had no hats in thier portaits

Olga Nikolaevna

Vanya Ivanova

« Reply #492 on: May 24, 2012, 02:17:20 AM »
thank you Helen, and for the book recommendation too.

Offline Dru

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:58 PM »

Drawings of the Imperial children by Igor Valerievich Babailov.  The portraits Olga and Tatiana are new to me, and the others were posted on here years ago, but for those who haven't seen them, here they are.

Offline edubs31

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:47 PM »
Pretty done in my opinion. They get better as you scroll down. Olga looks more like a similar looking actress portraying her and to a lesser extent do does Tatiana. Marie and Anastasia are good though and Alexei is spot on.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...