Author Topic: Painting Dream of the Mother of God  (Read 9629 times)

Offline Almedingen

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Painting Dream of the Mother of God
« on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:31 AM »
Does anyone know anyting about the painting "Dream of the Mother of God" which hung in the Mauve Room?  (Something about the painter or anything about the painting's true meaning or type of imagery used)

Also, does anyone know how Nicholas, Alexandra or their family felt about the paining?

Offline strom

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Painting Dream of the Mother of God
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:48:17 PM »
Yes!  The picture you are thinking of was a favorite of the Empress.  It hung near the door and was by a famous Russian painter who also worked for the GD Elizabeth, I believe.  He could be Nehilov, but I have the name at home and can correct this latter.  The painting is appropriate to the Mauve.  It was packed for shipment to Tobolsk.  It did not not go to Ekaterinbug but was sent back to the Alexander with the evacuation of the family in the Spring of 1918.  The painting survived the war.  

Offline Scott

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:13:39 PM »
It was a part of the exhibit "At Home with the Last Tsar" that came through New Mexico, New Jersey and Ohio last year.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 02:04:10 AM »
May i make inquiry if there is a picture available to view of it please ? Thank you in advance.

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline strom

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:25:09 AM »
There was a color plate of this picture in the catalogue to the show.  It is not a big picture.  I still mean to get the famous artist's name.  I believe it was the picture referred to by Ms. Lily Dehn, the friend of the Empress, during the terrible first days of the revolution as being covered in moon-light after the electicity was turned off on.  I believe she slept in the Mauve during those days.  Best wishes to all at this wonderful AP.  

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:12:12 PM »
Dream of the Mother of God
by E. J. Paupion (1854-191);
Oil on canvas;
130x177 cm;
France, late 19th - early 20th century;
Now at the State Museum Pavlovsk.
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline Natalya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 08:22:32 AM »
The painting is simply breathtaking, and it's easy to see why it was a favorite of the Empress.  The original is HUGE, would easily cover half a wall in a normal home.  The colors are soft and muted, and when looking at it, you feel pulled into a dream-like state yourself.  I hope those who have not been able to see it in person will enjoy this photo of it.

Offline Tania+

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
Dear Natalya,

Thank you for the copy of the lovely painting. It is lovely indeed. The Empress must have spent many hours gazing at the picture. It is very peaceful. Thanks again!

Tatiana+
TatianaA

Offline Natalya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 10:34:47 PM »
You are so welcome!  I can see the Empress resting in her room and just gazing on this beautiful painting.  In person, you just seem Feel yourself being pulled into.  I'm glad I had it for you to see.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Natalya »

Offline Emyrna

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2006, 09:26:15 PM »
Are there any copies of this beatiful painting for sale anywhere??  Thank You.

Offline Nadezhda Edvardovna

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 11:01:12 AM »
I, too, would love a copy of this painting--a poster perhaps???  It is so restful. Pax, Nadezhda