Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 231663 times)

alixaannencova

Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »
Sorry VN , I did not make it clear that I know all about Kyril and Ducky having been in love long before she and Ernie were finally coerced into marriage...all that stuff about first cousins blah blah....!

So they did meet in 1899! I do wonder if that happened to be in August....if so, that would really throw fuel on this particular fire of speculation!I mean if it were remotely possible that the child wasn't fathered by Ernie, and he suspected Ducky and Kyril of flagrantly committing adultery, he, Ernie may have lost his head and done something about it rather than have to acknowledge another man's son as his heir, otherwise Grandmama would have found out, and knowing Ernie, he would never have wanted to inflict such pain on her in her last year of life! For all his faults, Ernie was not a selfish or vindictive man, but just imaging how he may have felt if the baby hadn't been his would be awful to really contemplate!

Offline CharlotteSometimes

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »
Perhaps this was discussed in the older thread about Victoria Melita. I didn't find it on this thread.  Before I say what I am going to say, I want to state that I like and admire both Ernie and Ducky--they were bullied into a marriage neither desired and I don't blame either for what happened later.

Is it possible that the stillborn son VM lost in 1900 was not Ernie's, but Kyril's?  By this time their marriage seemed to be over, and although I'm sure Ernst wanted an heir, I find it hard to believe that he would want to bring another child into such an unhappy situation.  Even if he knew the child could not be his, would he be willing to claim it as his own?

Even as I'm typing this, I feel I'm spreading malicious gossip about these two (and I hate that since I really do like and empathise with them both), but it does seem as if it could be possible.  Has any book about Ernie or Ducky ever discussed this possibility?

Offline Terence

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2008, 11:12:31 PM »
Perhaps this was discussed in the older thread about Victoria Melita. I didn't find it on this thread.  Before I say what I am going to say, I want to state that I like and admire both Ernie and Ducky--they were bullied into a marriage neither desired and I don't blame either for what happened later.

Is it possible that the stillborn son VM lost in 1900 was not Ernie's, but Kyril's?  By this time their marriage seemed to be over, and although I'm sure Ernst wanted an heir, I find it hard to believe that he would want to bring another child into such an unhappy situation.  Even if he knew the child could not be his, would he be willing to claim it as his own?

Even as I'm typing this, I feel I'm spreading malicious gossip about these two (and I hate that since I really do like and empathise with them both), but it does seem as if it could be possible.  Has any book about Ernie or Ducky ever discussed this possibility?

You can do a simple search here using the principals involved and find this very possiblity was discussed recently.

Sure almost ANYTHING is possible.  However, there apparently is no historic record of this even being considered as a real possiblity.

Two supposedly unconnected posters here bringing up the idea lately, well...to spell it out sounds like typical internet manipulation/conspiracy to me.  Just saying MHO.

T

Offline CharlotteSometimes

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »
Sorry, I did a search and nothing came up on this thread (using words such as "son", "miscarriage", "unborn").  I assure you I looked for such a post and didn't find one on this thread.  And there's no "conspiracy", I only have one screenname, so whoever made the previous post on the subject was not me.  Could someone direct me to the thread that discusses this subject?

I guess I offended the previous poster with the subject, sorry.  I just find it hard to believe that VM and Ernie were having sexual relations in 1900, as badly as their marriage was going, and one reason I asked such a question is because I found myself in a similar situation as Ducky, i.e., husband actually preferred men to women.  I sympathize with both of them since they were forced into their union and as far as I can see, did not do it for selfish reasons.

Offline RomanovFan

• Knyaz
  • THE BIG PAIR, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »
Ernie and Ducky did have a son in March of 1900, but he was stillborn.
~LESLIE~

ROMANOV FAN SINCE 1997

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2008, 07:23:25 AM »
Sorry VN , I did not make it clear that I know all about Kyril and Ducky having been in love long before she and Ernie were finally coerced into marriage...all that stuff about first cousins blah blah....!

So they did meet in 1899! I do wonder if that happened to be in August....if so, that would really throw fuel on this particular fire of speculation!I mean if it were remotely possible that the child wasn't fathered by Ernie, and he suspected Ducky and Kyril of flagrantly committing adultery, he, Ernie may have lost his head and done something about it rather than have to acknowledge another man's son as his heir, otherwise Grandmama would have found out, and knowing Ernie, he would never have wanted to inflict such pain on her in her last year of life! For all his faults, Ernie was not a selfish or vindictive man, but just imaging how he may have felt if the baby hadn't been his would be awful to really contemplate!

It was undoubtedly Ernie's child - there is apparently even surviving correspondence between Ducky and her sister Missy which confirms this, as Ducky talks a great deal about how surprised she is at his sudden "attentiveness" to her. She and her sister kept no secrets at all from one another, as evidenced by their correspondence when Missy instead DID find herself pregnant and in doubt at the child's paternity, so I seriously doubt that VM was hiding anything.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline ashanti01

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2008, 03:39:10 AM »

Marie, Victoria Melita, Alexandra and Beatrice as young girls

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2008, 05:38:11 PM »
It's near impossible--you can only watermark them if you're going to post them unfortunately. Ebay won't take any measures--even Charlotte Zeepvat complained and they didn't even respond.

I've dealt with Tomhet and they're a real arse.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2008, 07:27:58 PM »
It is tough to deal with the situation...And Marlene Eilers Konig thought it was easy. The copyright is hard to prove for old photos...if they are from old magazines.  :(

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »
That's why I suggest marking photos before posting them online--if someone really wants an unmarked one of mine, I will sometimes send it. Or I just make them smallish so they can't be successfully reproduced. Sad but that's the situation... Ebay is rather a lawless place.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »
Yes...unfortunately I was told the marks could be taken off easily by savory computer geeks. Also rare images are harder and harder to find and more expensive...the recent pickings at ebay is pathetic...Anyway the haunted one is really spookey... :o

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #116 on: July 23, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »

If the photograph was published before 1923, it is out of copyright.  Someone - such as a private person or an archiives - might own the "rights" to a particular print, and you would have to purchase a copy from that archives because they own the print.  Rights is different from copyright. I have a large postcard collection.  If someone wanted to use a photo from my collection (from before 1923, they could --with permission, and I could charge for the use of that image.)   

Between 1923-1960, an image may be in copyright -but it is up to the person to do the copyright search (which can be difficult.)   BUt it would have been up to the copyright holder to renew the copyright.  After 1960 -- an image is in copyright and will be protected for some decades to come - and for some decades after the death of the ciopyright holder.

If this person Tomhet is stealing images from one's personal collection of postcards of photos,  you can contact ebay and they will do something.  But if Tomhet is taking images that you scanned from books or magazines -- you do not have a leg to stand on
It is tough to deal with the situation...And Marlene Eilers Konig thought it was easy. The copyright is hard to prove for old photos...if they are from old magazines.  :(
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2008, 10:33:32 PM »
Even from your books ?

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2008, 06:50:09 AM »
from  the '' rare pictures thread '' ..

Lynn

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
Famous photosession of 2 sisters actually was with Viktoria Melita - so 2 sisters and one sister-in-law