Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 231658 times)

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2008, 10:01:55 AM »
It was in a group photo with Missy, Charlotte and Marie Coburg. Even the jewel website lady had only that little photo of Ella wearing the beautiful emerald tiara that went to Marie Paulovna the younger and later to Mignon.

Is this the photo you mentioned ?

http://www.royal-magazin.de/russia/ella/ella-bolin-emerald-tiara.htm

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2009, 03:25:07 PM »
It was in a group photo with Missy, Charlotte and Marie Coburg. Even the jewel website lady had only that little photo of Ella wearing the beautiful emerald tiara that went to Marie Paulovna the younger and later to Mignon.

Does anyone have the whole photo of the wedding group ?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »

Does anyone have the whole photo of the wedding group ?

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »
This was the photo I was looking for, thank you a lot GDella  :)! Is there any possibility to post it bigger ?

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »
You can find a very large high quality version of the pic above in the Rosvall picture album on Queen Marie of Romania. Sadly I do not have the book at hand right now. I can't remember if it was the same pic or a very similar one.

Offline Luc

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2009, 10:52:07 AM »
You can find a very large high quality version of the pic above in the Rosvall picture album on Queen Marie of Romania. Sadly I do not have the book at hand right now. I can't remember if it was the same pic or a very similar one.

Thank you Laurra, I am still considering buying the book.  :-\ Was this photo taken after the marriage had taken place ? In what room was their wedding breakfast held ?

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2009, 11:57:17 AM »
This was the photo I was looking for, thank you a lot GDella  :)! Is there any possibility to post it bigger ?

I have an 11 x 14 print of it from an old Illustrated London News. I can't scan it as it's too big (and hanging on my wall) but I have another large scanned copy I will send to you if you resend me your e-mail.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »
I got a big copy of that photo bought from an auction. Yes it is a lovely image. Although it is also found in old copies of the ILN.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2009, 02:17:27 PM »
I like the prints--they're not only often larger (and sometimes even clearer without the spots sometimes found on photos) but given the prices at auction today much less expensive.  ::)

Offline Gabriella

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
After reading John Van der Kiste's biography of Ducky I have some questions about Ducky's relationship with her Hesse cousins after she and Ernie divorced.
I know about her strained relationship with Alix but what about Victoria, Irene and Ella? Does somebody know whether she stayed in contact with one of them or if she met one of them while staying in Russia or after the revolution?

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2009, 05:41:53 PM »
I know that VMH had a decent relationship with her and understood her better than a lot people.  She helped smooth issues between GD EL and VM with regard to visitation of their daughter to the two parents. She was a very close confident of GD EL, and I think that VM thought her a trusted intermediary.

I'm not sure about the other two sisters and how they felt about VM.  Probably not great since they were very protective of their brother.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 27, 2009, 10:09:11 AM »
I agree with you Ilana on this. It was hard fot Alicky, especially they were in the same court (even some pictures taken in Russia of her and Ducky togather).

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2009, 03:34:34 PM »
After reading John Van der Kiste's biography of Ducky I have some questions about Ducky's relationship with her Hesse cousins after she and Ernie divorced.
I know about her strained relationship with Alix but what about Victoria, Irene and Ella? Does somebody know whether she stayed in contact with one of them or if she met one of them while staying in Russia or after the revolution?

Van der Kiste's bio is interesting, because there are two versions of it. In the first (1991, I think), he bases his accounts of the hostility between AF and VM on Catherine Radziwill's accounts, albeit with the proviso that she was a terrible gossip. By the time the second ed appeared in around 2000, more evidence was available, and he tones down a great many of his passages; for example, he changes his account of A's reaction to Ernie's divorce from a blank statement that she had "never liked" her cousin/sister-in-law to saying that she "admired and respected but found it hard to like" VM......he retains suggestions that there was hostiility there (for example, writing that A's complimentary letters about VM were "rather cold", though on what basis I am not sure), but I am inclined to feel that this was because he found it hard to let go his preconception rather than because this is what the evidence suggests.

It is funny/curious that on the one hand A is supposed to have hated VM and been angry that the latter usurped her place in Darmstadt/Ernie's affections; but on the other is said to have been angry at the eventual divorce!  ;D

There isn't any hsotility to VM evident in Alexandra's correspondence, either during the divorce or later during the war when V was married to Kirill. I just think that examining their relationship in the light of what was asserted in gossip and what A's own letters indicate is a particularly interesting exercise in the use of primary material.
By the way, Miachel sullivan or Hannah Pakula or both put the real icing on the cae when they invented some tale about A refusing to telegraph to VM to tell her her daughter was dying. I am usually wary of saying people "made it up" because it often happens that you find a dubious tale first occurred in some long-forgotten source, but in this particular case I am happy to risk my neck on it.....No-one before Pakula published this ridiculous tale, and it certainly doesn't occur in the accounts of the people who were there.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2009, 03:43:50 PM »
Well...By the best of terms, Alicky was too different in temperment than Ducky to become pals. They liked each other but not close. After the divorce and remarriage, Alicky took her brother's side as Ducky cried " No boy was safe in the house" ( citing Ernie's elleged homosexuality). The fact that Cyril wasn't liked also coloured her views on Ducky.

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2009, 05:06:09 PM »
Well...By the best of terms, Alicky was too different in temperment than Ducky to become pals. They liked each other but not close.

I agree with this. But the essential point is that Ducky in her surviving letters appears a more likeable character than the dark, brooding tragic heroine (and eternal victim) of her hagiography (I have Sullivan in mind here)..... :D Which is part of why the idea that she and A may not have  actually loathed each other like two wicked queens in a fairy tale seems reasonable.

After the divorce and remarriage, Alicky took her brother's side as Ducky cried " No boy was safe in the house" ( citing Ernie's elleged homosexuality). The fact that Cyril wasn't liked also coloured her views on Ducky.
Are you sure about this? - "No boy was safe" is surely the paraphrase used by Princess Ileana long aftewards in discussing Ducky's reasons for divorce? (and she doesn't mention Alix having any role in revelations of this). At best I think we know (Meriel Buchanan) that Ducky claimed that A was angry with her (no specifics about why), along with a number of other people including Nicholas and their Uncle Bertie. I am not aware of any specific evidence that A's view of Kirill influenced her view of Ducky either. She admired D's wars efforts, for one thing (no-one can much have admired Kirill's record  :)).
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.