Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 229295 times)

aleksandra

Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
My parents had the same problem, with having kids. After my little brother's death in April 5th 1991, their marriage was over in 2002. It's so hard on the child with the upset parents batting(sp) on having the said child with them all the time. I know how Elizabeth feels like with a loveless marriage, having to pick one parent over the other. For me was mom and Elizabeth was her dad.  No one is perfect nor is a marriage.
Can we have another thread on marriage and divorce?

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2006, 10:02:25 AM »
Yes, in different eras, in different countries, and among very different people, these kinds of sitiuations really are the same. Circumstances might change, but people and human emotions never really do. That is what it makes it easy to relate somewhat to these royals so far from us in time and circumstance. We can't know what Ducky and Ernest nor Elizabeth truly felt, feeling as them, but we might have gone through things like that. Perhaps it helps us understand them better.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2007, 06:54:05 PM »
The other thread was so long, I am starting another one. One proviso, since she is a popular subject and does have another thread in the Imperial Family, perhaps the one in this section should (as much as possible) be confined to her time as Grand Duchess of Hesse. That might prevent some overlap and keep the pages down. Of course, it won't always be possible but perhaps could be a goal.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2007, 07:57:43 AM »
I have been reading James Lees-Milne's biography of Reginald Brett, subsequently Lord Esher, who in 1899 was the Secretary of the Office of Works and very much hobnobbing with royals, and who dined with his wife at Windsor in May where he was seated between the Duchess of Connaught and the Grand Duchess of Hesse (Ducky).  Brett was a bisexual, although married, and was particularly keen on teenage boys and had a number of aristocratic male homosexual friends. He was highly susceptible to female beauty and charm, however, and was a great friend of the beautiful Millicent, Duchess of Sunderland.  He was entranced by Ducky, and wrote to his son Maurice (with whom he had a rather unwholesome relationship), that her husband was very good looking, but "of the Loulou, Gogo type" (these were two friends of his who were rather effeminate, Lewis Harcourt, and George Maquay), "but without the skill or good taste to conceal it from Duckie, so that there have been endless troubles.  If you saw Duckie you would have no sympathy for him."  I was very interested in this as it was a contemporary observation and supports the remarks Ducky made to her niece many years later.  Clearly, the beau monde of the late Victorian era post the Wilde trial (and Brett had no sympathy with Wilde) was expected to keep a very low profile with regard to any homosexual inclinations and certainly not make it obvious to their wives what their tastes were.

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2007, 04:19:16 AM »
Well it's interesting that Brett noticed that her husband was good looking but didn't comment on her looks!  So perhaps it was her liveliness and charm that attracted him.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2007, 04:33:27 AM »
Yes...Ducky did have that. Many people spoke of her attractiveness but it did not show in the photos....I think the Kaubach paiting was the cloest to Ducky at her best.  ;)

Offline CountessKate

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2007, 05:34:58 AM »
I agree, she does look very pretty there - most of her photos make her look rather heavy-featured.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
I think she usually looked like a wet weekend.  It was just her nature.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2007, 12:57:32 PM »
Regrettably Ducky did not photograph well - and so routinely that I find it hard believe she really was any kind of a beauty at all. I can't find anything in her features that I would call attractive (although I hear she had beautiful violet eyes, which must have been quite something...). As for the expressions she adopted in her photos: well-spotted above-peeps: she really does seem to be putting on some knid of a face show! Indeed, rather like the young Cousin Louie's brilliantly pertinent remark to Alix "Must you always play at being sad?" Ducky's look seems to go from grumpy/cross in her youth (she had a quite remarkable scowl!) then to spoilt spouse to suffering sister and so on to the martyred matron series. I think also that less insistance on the touch-ups emphasizing her waist may have also done the portrayal of her figure more kindness. No doubt she was proud of her 17" waist but - coupled with the upholstered fashions and flamboyantly be-birded hats of her times - the represntations made her look almost comically misproportioned to the point of odd.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline LenelorMiksi

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2007, 04:04:32 PM »
Victoria Melita's proportions were more realistic than many of her contemporaries, such as her sister Marie, Princess Maud of Wales or Maud's mother Alexandra.  I don't think she made a sour expression for photographs, some people's faces naturally have a melancholy look when they're not smiling, and it was uncommon to smile in photos at that period.  To me, she looks very pretty from the pictures I've seen, but attractiveness is subjective. 
Grand Duchess Alice of Hesse:  "Each year brings us nearer to the Wiedersehen [reunion with the dead], though it is sad to think how one's glass is running out, & how little good goes with it, compared to the numberless blessings we receive.  Time goes incredibly fast."

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
People seem to have very differing opinions on her beauty or lack thereof. I personally wonder if we might not change all our opinions if we could see her when she was young as  she was, not as she appears to be in photographs. I know there is film that shows images of the grand duchesses OTMA, etc and the Romanovs from the early 20th century, but is there any moving film that shows Ducky from before or about World War I? I don't think you can judge from there, but certainly, it might be interesting. I have posted many times that I like Ducky's looks although maybe not some of the fashions and hairstyles of the time that didn't flatter her, so I won't go into all that again. 

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:19 PM »
I think Ducky was more attractive than beautiful. I think the von Angeli portrait (used in the Van Der Kiste book) captured her loviness completely. In it she was ewlaxed and not tense like in her photos.  ;)

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2007, 12:44:42 AM »

this may have already been discussed before, but here's my question anyway: 

what was Ducky's title after she divorced Ernie, but before she married Kyril?  (i mean, was she still known as grand duchess?

and was it the same after marrying Kyril, but before he recieved the telegram, "ta femme est grande duchesse"?

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2007, 02:47:21 AM »

i realize the telegram may, or may not, have happened...

"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

Offline Bsquared

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2007, 05:16:34 AM »
I think it is hard to say that a commissioned portrait is a more realistic portrayal than photographs.  Commissioned portraits often flatter the subject.  The only advantage is that we get an idea of one's coloring.