Author Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita  (Read 229384 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig & Grand Duchess Victoria Melita
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2007, 08:19:10 PM »
Yes... The visit whom she painted with Thora and rode with Ena... :)

Offline crazy_wing

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
Victoria Melita by von Angeli in 1896

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b204/crazy_wing/VictoriaMelitabyvonAngeli1896.jpg

It is now available on the Royal Collection website for viewing.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2008, 03:37:54 PM »
It was used as the cover for some editions of John van der Kiste's bio on Victoria Melita. It's a lovely portrait but then I like von Angeli as a portraitist.  :)
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:34 AM »
Victoria Meliita always seemed to have a very long face and was not, in my opinion, as pretty as her sister Queen Marie of Roumania.

Offline Laura_

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:19 AM »
a smiling Victoria Melita:

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 29, 2008, 03:55:12 PM »
I would like to tell a short story and hope I am not misusing this forum in any way.

In 2004 I was sitting in a 'Tavern' in Darmstadt with a friend. At the same table was a gentleman, older than myself, who was listening interestedly to our (english) conversation. After a while he joined in our discourse and the obvious "Where do you come from?" "What you doing here?" etc questions were asked and answered. He explained he was a Professor at Oxford, where he lived, but was of german descendants. (He spoke with a german accent). He said he was in Darmstadt to research in the 'Staatsarchiv' but didn't go into details. However, as I was also interested in Hessen_Darmstadt history we talked about this for a while. My friend was obviously bored so the conversation moved on to other topics. At the end of the evening I agreed to meet the gentleman a few days later alone as my friend had returned to England.
Our meeting started with the usual small talk and eventually moved on to his reason for being in Darmstadt. He told me of his background. Born in Mannheim before WWII and brought up in a family without grandparents where it appeared that the were also no other relatives. There were other tidbits about his family which seemed strange but, for brevity, I shall leave them out. He then started to talk about the history of the last Grand Duke, Ernst-Ludwig, and the GD's marriage to Viktoria-Melita. The tragic loss of their daughter and, importantly for him, the still-born son of 1900.
To cut to the quick; he was fairly convinced that the '1900 Son' was not still-born, but was smuggled from the palace in Darmstadt to foster parents in Mannheim, the baby being replaced by a "truly" still-born child of a palace servant. This baby, who had been smuggled to Mannheim, was my conversation counter partner's father!

This was quite a revelation for me and, to be honest, I found it hard not to burst out laughing! My acquaintance then started to tell me stories, far too long to recount here, of his own revelation and his search "for the truth". It involved numerous handicaps which seemed (to him) to be thrown in his way. Stories of surveillance by members of the British Royal Family. Encounters with Prince Phillips personal guard on the motorway (highway) between London and Oxford etc etc etc. It all became a little too much for me and a 'change of topic' and a "gosh! is it really so late? I must be going" got me out onto the street with a brisk walk home to think about what that was all about.

Just a couple of things before I finish this (ahem) short story.
The gentleman called and invited my friend over one evening shortly after these events. My friend lives near Oxford. (This to verify his existence)
The gentleman exchanged addresses with me and I can verify he exists as he said. (Again, to verify the gentleman was truly 'above-board')
On leaving our meeting I asked him if he truly thought he had a claim to the inheritance of Hesse-Darmstadt. His answer was simple.
"Don't you see? My problem is not Hessen-Darmstadt, it is the Romanovs......!"

Sorry that wasn't really short. What do you think? Was the man deluded? Or could his story have some truth in it? 

greetings

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 29, 2008, 04:00:08 PM »
Stories of surveillance by members of the British Royal Family. Encounters with Prince Phillips personal guard on the motorway (highway) between London and Oxford etc etc etc.

Erm, why?
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 29, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
Hello Eddy,

errm, to be honest, I don't know why either. I thought about it after the meeting and looked at the blood lines again. After the death of Louise Mountbatten it looks like HRH Prince Phillip has a legitimate call to Hessen-Darmstadt. I know the adoption of Moritz by Prince Ludwig effectively puts paid to that claim, but, hey, 'blood line'? What made me more interested was the claim of 'my acquaintance' to the Romanov family.....  I don't truly know. But... whether the chap was deluded or not, it's a nice story, ain't it?

greetings

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 29, 2008, 04:22:23 PM »
Hello again Eddy,

Sorry. I didn't really answer your errm, why question. My acquaintance said, quite often in fact, that he was worried that he was getting too deep into something that was the "privilege" of HRH Phillip. He told me he had moments where he thought he was in physical danger because of his 'claim' to the Hessen-Darmstadt inheritance. It appeared to him that his 'research' was stirring up things that shouldn't be 'stirred' and this was not being seen as (ahem) productive by certain members of the Windsor family. His words (more or less) not mine.

greetings

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2008, 01:58:57 PM »
1. Why was the little boy replace by a stillborn child?!  So in your friends opinion, this is how I understand it, the boy then whould have been a child of Kyrill?  Is this what he meant?

2. You mean Louise von Battenberg (Mountbatten) the Aunt of Prince Philipp, who was married to the King of Sweden whould have been the heir.

3. Prinz Phillip - It seams to me that your "Gentlemen" is a friend of Dodi's Father....always accusing Prince Philipp of weard things. Maybe he really had an encounter with his personel guards, because he started stalking members of the royal family!

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:03 PM »
Thank you Riedesel!

3. Prinz Phillip - It seams to me that your "Gentlemen" is a friend of Dodi's Father....always accusing Prince Philipp of weard things.

haha, hilarious VN!
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
Hello VN and Eddy,

Please, I am not making a cause for this gentleman. I was just recounting an encounter I had which I thought might be interesting, though implausible.

"1. Why was the little boy replace by a stillborn child?!"
Were the story true, I would imagine to still any possible questions as to the whereabouts of a body of the "hereditary Duke" - which such a child would have been.

2. You mean Louise von Battenberg (Mountbatten)
No. I meant Louis (Dickie) Mountbatten. The brother of Alice, Grandmother of the last of the blood line of the Hesse-Darmstadt family. HRH Phillip, the Duke of Edinburgh is the closest relation to the grand-children  of Ernst-Ludwig (I think)

3. Prinz Phillip - It seams to me that your "Gentlemen" is a friend of Dodi's Father ***more laughter*** maybe Dodis father took some lessons from "my friend".

I have explained in my original post; I met the man on two occasions. He told me a story (which I have recounted here, although very summarised). I am in no way trying to support his actions or fantasies. The chances of any truth in his claims (I believe) are minimal. It is, however, a nice little 'what if' theory, is it not?

greetings

Offline Riedesel

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
I have done it again and failed to answer the question properly. Sorry VN.

So in your friends opinion, this is how I understand it, the boy then whould have been a child of Kyrill?  Is this what he meant?

This is what I understood from our conversation. He didn't appear too concerned about the Hessen-Darmstadt inheritance but that of the Romanovs. He believed he was the last of their line through Viktoria-Melita.

greetings

alixaannencova

« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2008, 08:45:37 PM »
What an extraordinary story!

Thank you for sharing it with us Riedesel! It sounds beyond belief on first reading and quite absurd! But then again.....I am not serious at all, I promise, but does anyone know if Kyrill and Ducky's paths crossed in August 1899? If is can be confirmed that they did come across one another on their travels, perhaps temptation proved too much for them, and Ernie might have done some sums a few months later and threatened to out them! Seriously, it is too bizarre...surely not?

I am still reeling from the oddity of the way you came across this gentleman in Darmstadt and the fact that his Oxford background only adds to the strangeness of the whole thing, though I have met a few Oxbridge dons who could be classed as rather dotty and eccentric!

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2008, 06:19:29 AM »
hallo Alixa...

1. According to Kyrills memoirs "My life in Russia's service" they have met on previous occations in 1896, 1897, 1899 and in 1900.  (got this from the Victoria Melitta book by van der Kiste. Here is also a quotation on Hannah Pakulas Book 'The last romantic' which says that they've been in love even before Victorias Wedding to Ernst-Ludwig)

Hallo Riedelsel

1.  Besides Prince Philipp the children and grandchildren of Lord Mountbatten (Lady Patricia Mountbatten - Her Son Lord Braeburn) would also be in the "blood line" - same relation to Hessen-Darmstadt as Prince Philipp. Lord Mountbatten was visiting Darmstadt frequently until his death 1979. e.g. visiting former servants from Heiligenberg. Prince Philipp was here 2 years ago with Prince Edward and Sofie and others, visiting SchloƟ Heiligenberg.

2. I didn't mean to sound too ironic in my last posting. I can understand why you posted this encounter, I would have done the same. It just made me think of an article I read recently in the papers, about several accusations Dodi's father made on Prince Philipp. And through my research on the Battenberg Family I have a different view on things because you know certain facts/dates etc.