Author Topic: Lost Splendor  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
Lost Splendor
« on: April 16, 2005, 09:51:20 AM »
Now, I hope that this time I will be correct in assuming there was no previous thread for this....I honestly did look through all ten pages....Anyway, does anyone own this book? Is it worth buying? I'm interested in reading it since it sounds really interesting and I know very little about Felix.

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Splendor
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 11:02:29 AM »
Its a very good book. I have it and gave a second copy to Fatat Grl on Dup Books.  I think its the only book after greg Kings book on him.Maybe she can also tel you ,what she thinks of it.

Offline felix

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 11:05:06 AM »
Sorry,about spelling, no glasses! I should  be more careful!

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 06:01:36 AM »
Hi Ortino,

I read this book several years ago. I did enjoy reading it at the time. There are quite a number of photographs dispersed throughout the book for additional interest.

Obviously he fails to describe his own sexuality, which I consider to be an important element in understanding his personality.

His omissions in the book however do not detract in any way in what was written.

Enjoy your copy when you obtain one.  :)

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Abby

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 11:59:40 AM »
I read this one, and I enjoyed it. He is a very entertaining writer, but he is full of himself and I think he exaggerated quite often!! But I liked it, and I would recommend it, if only for the first-hand accounts of the murder and Felix's witty remarks.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2005, 12:21:50 PM »
For whatever it's worth, Lost Spendor is available on Amazon.com for a reasonable price. Evidently it has been reissued.

I enjoyed the book immensely. Like my buddy Belochka, I would have preferred he be more candid about his sexuality, but it was probably the times that made this so.

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 02:39:40 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. What about Greg King's book on Felix? Is it better? Worse? Equal?

Robert_Hall

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »
Greg King posts here now & then, why not ask him ?

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 03:31:34 PM »
Greg stopped posting.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

helenazar

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 04:44:39 PM »
Thank you everyone for your input. What about Greg King's book on Felix? Is it better? Worse? Equal?

I read both books, but unfortunately I can't remember which gave out what information! This often happens with books on the same subject. I think it would be nice to read them back to back, because it would give two different perspectives, one of an author who never knew Felix, the other of Felix himself and his take on events the way he wanted everyone to see them. Even if he "stretched" the truth somewhat, the book still would give a good insight as to Felix's personality and how he wanted to be perceived.

Robert_Hall

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 06:49:34 PM »
Personally, I think Greg's book is more objective and of cousre recent.  He would welcome your questions. He may not post a public response, and  I would not blame him.

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 11:16:23 PM »
It's like comparing apples and oranges. Felix wrote a memoir that is very interesting. Greg King wrote a biography which is of course more objective than Felix's autobiographical work.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 04:57:02 PM »
As Felix said, he sent me this book a few months weeks back. It's quite excellent. Nothing beats a first hand account  ;)

Robert_Hall

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 05:31:29 PM »
I agree with Lisa, they are from totally different perspectives. And, naturally, Felix Y. is presenting events through his. Even saying "rose coloured"  is being extremely mild.

Annie

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2005, 10:52:21 AM »
Actually there are several other threads on this, mostly in the "Yusupov" forum. I love this book, it's interesting, well written,descriptive, and very funny at times. I never really thought much about Felix before reading this, but now he's among my very favorite 'characters' from the era.