Author Topic: Re: Feodorovsky Cathedral  (Read 154608 times)

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Feodorovsky Cathedral
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2004, 02:26:53 PM »
Dear Alexandra

Believe me, this is the the kind of impact the Feodorovsky Sobor has on people.

I too have had a remarkable experience inside those sacred walls.

Its lovely you have found this wonderful Forum and I wish you many happy hours joining the rest of us who hold this subject dear.

tsaria

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2004, 05:20:31 PM »
Many people don't know but Nicholas II was involved in every aspect of the exterior and interior decoration of the church.  His order was that the decoration was to be based upon the Church of John the Baptist in Yaroslav and the Resurrection Church in the Rostov Kremlin.  The Lower Church was painted by Tsherbakov, Pashkov and Vasnetsov.  Vasnetsov designed the vestments.  The wall decoration of the Upper Church started in 1913 but had to be stopped because the walls were still too damp.  WWI stopped further work.

The walls of the Lower Church were covered with rich fabrics - I don't know if it will or is being restored that way.  It would seem to be very expensive and not practical for use by large crowds of people buming and rubbing up against the sides of the chapel.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2004, 04:51:00 PM »
I was wondering how anyone would know about the IF wanting to be buried in Feodorovsky instead of St P&P, was there anything in writing about that? Thanks!

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2004, 02:03:33 PM »
Helen:

I could never find anything other than Alexandra's comments about Peter and Paul.  Certainly there are piles of letters from Nicholas and Alexandra to various people that I have never seen and maybe there's something there.  I'd be curious to see any correspondence regarding the planning of the Feodorovski and the design of the crypt, since Nicholas was involved closely in every detail of the design.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I wonder if the 'tomb' area of the crypt was meant for the girls and their husbands if they stayed in Russia.

Bob

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2004, 10:38:16 PM »
Hi Joanna,

I heard that the main entrance mosaic over the Tsar entrance was partially restored during 2000-2001, the icon restoration on the Tsar's Porch was done with the help of the community in Pushkin. I think that they plan to have all icons and the gilding of the dome of this cathedral to hopefully be completed by next year.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2004, 10:41:51 PM »
Helen:

I could never find anything other than Alexandra's comments about Peter and Paul.  Certainly there are piles of letters from Nicholas and Alexandra to various people that I have never seen and maybe there's something there.  I'd be curious to see any correspondence regarding the planning of the Feodorovski and the design of the crypt, since Nicholas was involved closely in every detail of the design.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I wonder if the 'tomb' area of the crypt was meant for the girls and their husbands if they stayed in Russia.

Bob

Thanks, Bob.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2004, 10:09:58 AM »
Helen,
One local Pushkin businessman donated all the funds for the restoration of the Tsar's Porch.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2004, 11:12:10 AM »
Helen,
One local Pushkin businessman donated all the funds for the restoration of the Tsar's Porch.

Oh, ok. Thanks! That was nice.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2004, 05:39:23 PM »
I just wanted to add that I didn't want it to sound like the hundreds and hundreds of little donations left by visitors or made by residents wasn't equally part of the restoration work and obviously greatly appreciated by everyone. But virtually all of the money for the Tsar's Porch restoration did come from the one local business man.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2004, 06:41:25 PM »
But virtually all of the money for the Tsar's Porch restoration did come from the one local business man.

If it's not confidential info, I was wondering if you know what this guy's name is? Thanks!

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2004, 06:05:26 PM »
There still is a lot to do - it would be great if a wealthy American or a group came forward to contribute towards the restoration in a substantial way to complete the work.  It would be wonderful if it came from from over here to show how much some of us care for the Cathedral and its history.

The interior ikonstasis will be a huge undertaking!  Cn you imagine how beautiful it will be when it's completed one day?

Bob

Sunny

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2005, 06:17:06 AM »
Joanna, it looks like Nicholas on the left in the  photograph of the clergy...?

Thank you so much,

Sunny

Offline Kyriaki

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2005, 11:52:13 PM »
I hope I do not sound ignorant on this subject but
I am wondering (and thanking God for the church)
since Stalin destroyed so many churches, how did he happen to spare Nicholas II's beautiful Feodorovsky Cathedral?

thanks very much

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2005, 09:38:39 AM »
The church was saved because people must have fought to save it.  It's also right on the tourist route from the city and picturesque - maybe that had something to do with it.  Lenfilms took it over - perhaps it was saved because they really used it.

Offline BobAtchison

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • The Alexander Palace
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2005, 09:41:08 AM »
BTW - we have just heard that the interior of the upper church has been plastered!  That's great news and it would bring the Cathedral much closer to its appearance in 1917.  The exposed brick made the interior appear heavy and dark.

We hope we'll be getting more direct news from the Feodorovsky Sobor in the next few weeks!