Discussions about Russian History > Rasputin

Stabbing of Rasputin in 1914

(1/6) > >>

Grigorevna:
Hi everyone!
I am a Newbie on this forum, but has been fascinated by the Romanovs and Gregory Efimovich for the last 15 years. I have bought an read heaps of books. Some really good - but a frightful lot of terrible junk. And people still belive it! Good to find this forum!!!

Anyhow - Gregory Efimovich was stabbed in 1914 in his homevillage. I have read a cuple of versions on who did it - one that it was carried out by one of his followers. Another that Illidor had it done. Any other information on this?

I have also read (somewere) that it occured when G.E was on his way to answer a telegram sent from Tsarskoe Selo. Does anyone of you have any more specific knowledge on the happenings around this deed?

Gigorevna

Laura Mabee:
Welcome to the forum Grigorevna!
I have heard briefly about him being stabbed in 1914 but I never got to hear all the theories. Would you, or someone, be willing to write them all down? From start to finish. I would like to know the reasons behind it, especially from his follower (if that one holds true)

Cheers  :)

Grigorevna:
Hi!
Well, these are briefly the versions I recollect from different books:

He was stabbed in the summer of 1914, just weeks before the war broke out. He had had earlier that year had some kind of a fallout with Nicholas II because of his views on the war (totally against it) and had therfore been sent back to Pokrovskoye - apparently against Alexandras will.

The first version I have heard is that he was stabbed so he wouldnt go back to Petersburg and talk Nicholas into NOT joining the war.

The second version - far most qouted - i read in Massies Nicholaus and Alexandra: That he had been stabbed on 27/6 (os) by a Kina Gusseva - follower of Illidor. She screamed that she had killed Anti-Chist and then tried to kill herself.

In some sources it is said that Gregory Efimovich was very badly wounded and were operated several days and then had a very difficult recovery since the cut had been very deep - his guts were coming out of his belly.

In a third version (Eduard Radzinsky: "Gospodi, spasi y usmiri Rossiu") Guseva is one of his former fanatic followers but is now named Feonia.

This is briefly what I know.
Anyone?

Forum Admin:
This has been disussed in the "Rasputin Fact vs. Fiction" thread here

http://hydrogen.pallasweb.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=rasputin;action=display;num=1102903447;start=14#14

I have translated portions of the important Spiridovitch bio of Rasputin from the original French. Spiridovitch was chief of secret security for Nicholas II, and so had read the police and Okhrana reports of the event. He  writes that Rasputin went to Pokrovskie voluntarily for a visit. This was not his "banishment".  Gussyeva was a passionate follower of Iliodor, who took it upon herself to kill "the demon" Rasputin because of how she felt Iliodore had "suffered" from Rasputin. Gussyeva first stabbed him with a dagger in the belly, but missed the intestines. He was first bandaged up, and it was not until 8 hours later, in the middle of the night, that the wound was sewn up.
It appears that he lost a decent amount of blood, but that the wound itself was not that serious.

Thats the story, and since it is essentially first hand, most likely the closest to the truth.

Grigorevna:
Oh, yes. This is what Wilson writes in Fall of the Romanovs.

R was afraid to stay in Petersburg over summer, since he feared an attack on his life there. He went back to P and arrived 27/6 (OS). Maria was with him.

"At two fifteen on Sunday afternoon the  postman arrived with a telegram for Rasputin. He read it and hurried out of the house to ask the postman to take a reply. As he did so, a peasant woman approached him. He had already seen her once that day, when she had made a move to accost him as he came from mass. Rasputin stopped to give her a coin; as he did so, she lunged forward and drove a knife into his stomach. R turned to run, and the woman started to chase him, the knife raised; he decided that attack would be a better policy, seized a piece of wood that was lying in the path, and hit her on the head. Then he dragged himself back to the house, and shouted for the servants. [Servants? Did he have servants? My question.]
(...) Guseva was arrested - R had some difficulty in saving her from lynching - and R was taken to the Tioumen hospital."

Wilson points out the weird fact that he was stabbed at the same time as the shots were fired in Sarajevo - same day, almost at the same time.

R heard of the Russian mobilisation when in hospital. He telegrams Nicholas to avert war, but it is too late.

//Grigorevna

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version