Discussions about Russian History > Rasputin

Stabbing of Rasputin in 1914

<< < (3/6) > >>

Forum Admin:
Sarah, all Spiridovitch dates in his book are OS. He was QUITE clear that the telegram about Franz Ferdinand was delivered June 15 and that Rasputin was stabbed June 29. He was most clear that Nicholas was still at Peterhof when the Austria news came, and then on board the Standart when the Rasputin telegram came.

Franz Ferdinand was no question shot on June 28 NEW STYLE. This corresponds exactly to Spiridovitch's June 15 date. Rasputin was stabbed the 29th OLD STYLE, which would be July 12 NS.

The confusion among authors seems to arise from not realizing that the date reported in Spiridovitch and other places was OS date. Rasputin was stabbed June 29, 1914 OLD STYLE (July 12 NS) , which was actually two weeks after the fact of the shooting of Franz Ferdinand. Is this clear now?

Belochka:

--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 05, 2008, 01:45:16 PM ---I'm running across some discrepancies regarding the date Rasputin was stabbed by Guseva:

In lieu of that, I'm curious about what others' opinions would be regarding the validity of the sources I've laid out here. Whose date do you believe, and why?

--- End quote ---

Such a pity that you failed to read my published biography about Rasputin from a modern Russian perspective. If you take the time to read through it your concerns should be amply satisfied.

The link is:

http://www.facesofrussia.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=1

Forum Admin:
To be more clear, I hope Margarita does not mind my quoting the salient details here from her well researched biography:
Just few weeks before the First World War was announced, Rasputin was attacked in front of his home, less than 24 hours after he had returned with his daughter from St. Petersburg. According to the Gendarme File that is held in the Moscow Archives, the offence had occurred on June 29, 1914 at 3 p.m. when Rasputin was leaving his house in order to reply to a telegram. Hioniya Guseva, a 33 year old seamstress from Tsaritsyn, had suddenly confronted Rasputin and stabbed him with a dagger, wounding him in the abdomen.
Platonov, O., Zhizn za Tsarya, Voskresenie, St. Petersburg, pp 110-137

Belochka:

--- Quote from: Forum Admin on February 05, 2008, 08:08:16 PM ---To be more clear, I hope Margarita does not mind my quoting the salient details here from her well researched biography:
Just few weeks before the First World War was announced, Rasputin was attacked in front of his home, less than 24 hours after he had returned with his daughter from St. Petersburg. According to the Gendarme File that is held in the Moscow Archives, the offence had occurred on June 29, 1914 at 3 p.m. when Rasputin was leaving his house in order to reply to a telegram. Hioniya Guseva, a 33 year old seamstress from Tsaritsyn, had suddenly confronted Rasputin and stabbed him with a dagger, wounding him in the abdomen.
Platonov, O., Zhizn za Tsarya, Voskresenie, St. Petersburg, pp 110-137

--- End quote ---

I am delighted that you have FA. Thank you.

Margarita

Sarushka:

--- Quote from: Belochka on February 05, 2008, 07:15:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 05, 2008, 01:45:16 PM ---I'm running across some discrepancies regarding the date Rasputin was stabbed by Guseva:

In lieu of that, I'm curious about what others' opinions would be regarding the validity of the sources I've laid out here. Whose date do you believe, and why?

--- End quote ---

Such a pity that you failed to read my published biography about Rasputin from a modern Russian perspective. If you take the time to read through it your concerns should be amply satisfied.

The link is:

http://www.facesofrussia.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=1

--- End quote ---

You assumption is patently incorrect. I have indeed read your article, which in fact spurred my question. I noticed you reported the date of the stabbing as 29 June, which conflicted with other sources I'd recently read and prompted me to investigate further.

--- Quote from: Forum Admin on February 05, 2008, 06:28:50 PM ---Sarah, all Spiridovitch dates in his book are OS. He was QUITE clear that the telegram about Franz Ferdinand was delivered June 15 and that Rasputin was stabbed June 29. He was most clear that Nicholas was still at Peterhof when the Austria news came, and then on board the Standart when the Rasputin telegram came.

Franz Ferdinand was no question shot on June 28 NEW STYLE. This corresponds exactly to Spiridovitch's June 15 date. Rasputin was stabbed the 29th OLD STYLE, which would be July 12 NS.

The confusion among authors seems to arise from not realizing that the date reported in Spiridovitch and other places was OS date. Rasputin was stabbed June 29, 1914 OLD STYLE (July 12 NS) , which was actually two weeks after the fact of the shooting of Franz Ferdinand.
--- End quote ---

I'm frankly amazed that so many authors in both Russia and the west seem to have botched the dates. Radzinsky, whom I would expect to be adept at juggling OS/NS dates, perpetuates the myth that the two events happened within a day of one another. Even Bokhanov and the predominantly Russian team responsible for Love, Power and Tragedy seem to use an unfortunate mixture of OS and NS throughout the book, thus making it unclear whether they interpreted Spridovich correctly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version