Discussions about Russian History > Rasputin

Stabbing of Rasputin in 1914

<< < (4/6) > >>

Belochka:

--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 05, 2008, 11:21:09 PM ---
--- Quote from: Belochka on February 05, 2008, 07:15:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 05, 2008, 01:45:16 PM ---I'm running across some discrepancies regarding the date Rasputin was stabbed by Guseva:

In lieu of that, I'm curious about what others' opinions would be regarding the validity of the sources I've laid out here. Whose date do you believe, and why?

--- End quote ---

Such a pity that you failed to read my published biography about Rasputin from a modern Russian perspective. If you take the time to read through it your concerns should be amply satisfied.

The link is:

http://www.facesofrussia.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=1

--- End quote ---

You assumption is patently incorrect. I have indeed read your article, which in fact spurred my question. I noticed you reported the date of the stabbing as 29 June, which conflicted with other sources I'd recently read and prompted me to investigate further.
--- End quote ---

Then why did you not quote me as well, since that was where you first noticed the date, which initiated your inquiry? 

Obviously it can be seen that other than Moynahan, whose source was impeccable, the other contemporary writers were largely in conflict with each other.

Belochka:

--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 05, 2008, 11:21:09 PM ---... I'm frankly amazed that so many authors in both Russia and the west seem to have botched the dates. Radzinsky, whom I would expect to be adept at juggling OS/NS dates, perpetuates the myth that the two events happened within a day of one another. Even Bokhanov and the predominantly Russian team responsible for Love, Power and Tragedy seem to use an unfortunate mixture of OS and NS throughout the book, thus making it unclear whether they interpreted Spridovich correctly.

--- End quote ---

Which is precisely why it always ideal to find the primary documents or as second best find authors who have cited from those key documents.

Sarushka:

--- Quote from: Belochka on February 05, 2008, 11:36:15 PM ---Obviously it can be seen that other than Moynahan, whose source was impeccable, the other contemporary writers were largely in conflict with each other.

--- End quote ---

It appears Radzinsky also used that same source -- Guseva's testimony as recorded by the deputy prosecutor of the Tobolsk distict court.

Belochka:

--- Quote from: Sarushka on February 06, 2008, 12:09:32 AM ---
--- Quote from: Belochka on February 05, 2008, 11:36:15 PM ---Obviously it can be seen that other than Moynahan, whose source was impeccable, the other contemporary writers were largely in conflict with each other.

--- End quote ---

It appears Radzinsky also used that same source -- Guseva's testimony as recorded by the deputy prosecutor of the Tobolsk distict court.

--- End quote ---

Radzinsky has faulted with other documents placed before him. Knowing which authors are most reliable is the key to one's investigation to find where the truth lies.

Sarushka:

--- Quote from: Belochka on February 06, 2008, 12:27:15 AM ---Radzinsky has faulted with other documents placed before him.
--- End quote ---

Indeed, and most unfortunate too, as he is one of the few Russian authors on this topic whose publications are accessible to the west.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version