Author Topic: Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, his family and descendants  (Read 173461 times)

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
Re: Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia, his family and descendants
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2006, 08:18:04 PM »
http://www.preussen.de/en/family/george_frederick_the_prince_of_prussia.html

Does anyone know who George Fredrick is keeping compnay with.  George has to make an equal match so I am sure his wedding will attrack match attention from us "Royal Bloggers".  We need a good Royal wedding!  ;) ;) ;)

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2006, 11:05:40 PM »
Prince Georg Friedrich lives in Berlin, and keeps a very low profile due to the awful publicity garnered by the family lawsuit.

He does get invited to royal events but he doesn't seem to be attached to anyone at present. Several years ago, he was rumored to be dating Stephanie of Isenburg, but nothing seems to have come of that.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2006, 11:39:30 PM »
Can someone refresh my memory as to what law suite your talking about and what are the details pertaining to it? 

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »
In a nutshell - several years before his death in 1941,  Kaiser Wilhelm II made out his will - setting up a trust to protect the family's assets.  This was not unsual for the former ruling families - the Leiningen princely family set up their trust in 1925 - establishing that when the heir reached the age of 35, he would receive a major portion of the inheritance in order to avoid crushing death taxes.

The former Kaiser's will established a succession - obviously, his eldest son, the Crown Prince, was the actual heir  (and the CP's eldest son was out because of his marriage in 1933 to a commoner).  Prince WIlhelm was killed in 1940.

But in order to protect the family fortune (some of which would be lost after 1945), the bulk of the estate would pass to the Crown Prince's second son louis Ferdinand .. the Kaiser also pointed out that the heir and the next heir (Louis Ferdinand and Louis Ferdinand's heir) would have to marry equally.   Louis ferdinand's two eldest sons knew the rules and renounced rights when they married German commoners in the 1960s.  Both these marriages ended in divorce.  They also knew and acknowledged that their brother Louis Ferdinand would inherit most of the fortune because he was married to a countess (he died in a military accident, leaving behind a young son, Georg Friedrich, who became the heir to his grandfather.)
Both the elder sons remarried.  Friedrich Wilhelm's wife was a von Reden, but it didn't matter because she was not equal - and FW had already renounced.  Michael tried to claim that his wife was a von Dallwitz; in fact, her father was adopted by  the family and took name .. he was not entitled to the von.  When LF died in 1994, the bulk of the fortune went to GF; according German law, all of Louis Ferdinand's children received a percentage of the estate, but GF got the bulk.
The eldest son tried to claim that his second marriage was equal  -- but it wasn't (and he was already separated and living with another woman).  He also tried to state that the will requirement was unfair according to present day German law.  Well, at the first the courts ruled in his favor, but then the final courts ruled in favor of the late Kaiser's will.  I should add that the ruling was not based on the fact that person was the Kaiser, but that a German citizen has the right to provide qualifications for inheritance ... no one can be disinherited. Thanks to the lawsuits, GF is not as rich as he was when he succeeded in 1994.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2006, 05:38:43 AM »
Thanks Marlene

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2006, 10:42:59 AM »
Georg Friedrich is quite a nice young man, approachable, sympathetic and always willing to stop and have a chat.  The last time I talked and photographed him was at Schloß Salem in May.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Bernardino

• Boyar
  • Real, Real, Real, por El-Rei de Portugal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »
I'm praying for him to be capable to mantain tradition at least for a couple more generations  ::)

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
Je Maintiendrai

Offline José

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2007, 11:02:42 AM »
In a nutshell - several years before his death in 1941,  Kaiser Wilhelm II made out his will - setting up a trust to protect the family's assets.  This was not unsual for the former ruling families - the Leiningen princely family set up their trust in 1925 - establishing that when the heir reached the age of 35, he would receive a major portion of the inheritance in order to avoid crushing death taxes.

The former Kaiser's will established a succession - obviously, his eldest son, the Crown Prince, was the actual heir  (and the CP's eldest son was out because of his marriage in 1933 to a commoner).  Prince WIlhelm was killed in 1940.

But in order to protect the family fortune (some of which would be lost after 1945), the bulk of the estate would pass to the Crown Prince's second son louis Ferdinand .. the Kaiser also pointed out that the heir and the next heir (Louis Ferdinand and Louis Ferdinand's heir) would have to marry equally.   Louis ferdinand's two eldest sons knew the rules and renounced rights when they married German commoners in the 1960s.  Both these marriages ended in divorce.  They also knew and acknowledged that their brother Louis Ferdinand would inherit most of the fortune because he was married to a countess (he died in a military accident, leaving behind a young son, Georg Friedrich, who became the heir to his grandfather.)
Both the elder sons remarried.  Friedrich Wilhelm's wife was a von Reden, but it didn't matter because she was not equal - and FW had already renounced.  Michael tried to claim that his wife was a von Dallwitz; in fact, her father was adopted by  the family and took name .. he was not entitled to the von.  When LF died in 1994, the bulk of the fortune went to GF; according German law, all of Louis Ferdinand's children received a percentage of the estate, but GF got the bulk.
The eldest son tried to claim that his second marriage was equal  -- but it wasn't (and he was already separated and living with another woman).  He also tried to state that the will requirement was unfair according to present day German law.  Well, at the first the courts ruled in his favor, but then the final courts ruled in favor of the late Kaiser's will.  I should add that the ruling was not based on the fact that person was the Kaiser, but that a German citizen has the right to provide qualifications for inheritance ... no one can be disinherited. Thanks to the lawsuits, GF is not as rich as he was when he succeeded in 1994.

What would happen to the bulk of the fortume if G-F was to marry a commoner (or someone from the lower aristocracy) ?
Would his uncles had any chance in reclaimeing a greater share as G-F did not fulfill the requirements from the kaiser's will ?

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2007, 05:18:24 PM »
How is Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen viewed in Germany?  I'd think that he is a popular bachelor or potential husband for the right noblewoman: I mean he's good looking and rich! I know he plays no political role, but it seems that he does receive a fair amount of media coverage. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 04:34:06 AM »
Hello Learning!

Speaking from the perspective of someone who lives in the state of Baden-Württemberg, I have to say that Georg Friedrich Prinz von Preussen is more or less unknown in the south-west of Germany. Obviously such opinions are subjective, but on the other hand, my presence in this forum no doubt indicates that I have some interest in such matters, and he has never come to my attention in any way, good, bad or indifferent, nor have I noticed him being mentioned in the media. The only "former royal" who is well-known here is Carl Herzog von Württemberg (since 1975 head of the former royal family of Württemberg) and his wife, Herzogin Diane. Perhaps Georg Friedrich is better known in the north of Germany (I think he lives in Berlin), in spite of the fact that he studied at the University of Freiburg in Baden-Württemberg and the original family seat, Burg Hohenzollern, is situated in the Schwäbische Alb, also in Baden-Württemberg. However, by and large I think it is fair to say that there is very little interest in the former ruling families here in Germany, with the possible exception of the state of Bavaria.

Greetings from sunny Baden-Württemberg!
GREENOWL

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 06:42:35 AM »
Thanks, Greenowl. I appreciate your reply. Rather sad that there is little interest in the former ruling Houses. But, so much water has passed under the bridge. I understand that the Wittelsbachs are still popular in Bavaria. Is Carl popular in Wurttenburg and is the current head of the House of Baden popular in that part of B-W? I suppose there is no talk of a restoration and, indeed, the royals might not want the bother! It is probably easier for them to just lead quiet lives. Thanks again.

Offline Greenowl

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 08:19:34 AM »
Hi Learning!
Herzog Carl does very good work and I think that is the reason why he is popular.  He is a very quiet and self-effacing sort of person (or at least that is my impression of him). Herzogin Diane is far more vivacious and outgoing. Among other things he is involved in the German Red Cross and the Society for children with cancer, as well as being an  Ehrensenator (Honorary Senator??) of the Eberhard-Karl University in Tübingen and the University of Hohenheim. However, I think he is popular in the same way as, for example, Manfred Rommel, former Lord Mayor of Stuttgart and son of General Erwin Rommel (the desert fox), as Manfred Rommel is a real character and a very “down to earth” person who did a great deal during his time as mayor of Stuttgart (1974 to 1996). Thus Herzog Carl is popular for himself and what he does, rather than for the fact that he is a Duke and head of the former royal family of Württemberg and I have never heard anyone express any interest in a restoration. I obviously cannot speak for other German former royal families, as I am not familiar with them, but I think that the House of Württemberg is quite happy with its present situation and has more than enough to keep it busy with the various estates (farms, forests and vineyards), business concerns as well as charity and heritage work.

Strangely enough I know absolutely nothing about the present head of the House of Baden, Max Markgraf von Baden, other than the fact that through his mother he is the nephew of the Duke of Edinburgh. Do you know anything about him? I note that he is called after his grandfather, who was the last imperial chancellor of Germany and presided over the dissolution of the Hohenzollern Empire and the inauguration of the Republic. The government's efforts to secure an armistice were interrupted by the outbreak of revolution in Germany in the first days of November 1918. The then Prinz Max of Baden, realizing that the Kaiser would not be able to retain his throne, urged him to abdicate in order to save the monarchy itself, but the Kaiser refused, despite the urging of Paul von Hindenburg and Wilhelm Groener of the General Staff.  Prinz Max thus announced the abdication without the Kaiser's consent, and resigned in favour of Friedrich Ebert on 9 November 1918. This was immediately followed by the proclamation of the German Republic. I find it one of those odd coincidences that Friedrich Ebert was also from Baden (he was born in Heidelberg).

Cheers,
GREENOWL
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 08:22:54 AM by Greenowl »

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »
Greenowl -

Thanks again. While, I am convinced of the advantages of constitutional monarchy, it is obvious that the Federal Republic has found a political system that works well, even if it is a republic!

I know nothing, really, about Max of Baden. It is my understanding that the House of Baden went through some financial troubles in the 70s or 80s, but Max solved the problems by selling some of the old palaces. There was also some sort of scandal about the sell of property belonging to the B-W State Library. I am not sure of the details or whether it was actually a full scandal.

Too bad that the other royals cannot find as prominent a role to play in their hereditary lands as the Wittelsbachs did in Bavaria, although I am sure that the Wettins of Saxony and the Hohenzollerns of Prussia are trying to help in whatever way they can.